Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the tweek that owned this thing before me stripped out the drain plug threads and it has a very slow drip. i tried a paper like washer, but didnt work. any ideas on how to fix this (besides silicone every time i change the oil)? i see there is an 87 750 oil pan on ebay, will that fit my 86 11??

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would that have to be with the same size (just rethreading the orig hole) or one size bigger and then a bigger drain plug?? thx

·
Registered
461 Posts
I would try to tap it with the same size so you can keep the original bolt, if not go up one size.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's very easy to fix actually. Mine was held in with silicone when I got it from the previous owner (he didn't point this out to me).

There are a couple of ways to fix it. One is to get a Helicoil kit which replaces the threads after you clean up the oil drain hole. Or the easier way is to find a product called thread maker, I believe it's made by loctite and can usually be found in the same section as the threadlockers and sealant at your local auto parts store.

It's best to remove the oil pan so that you can clean it properly and insure that you don't over due the thread repair.

You simply mix the two compounds like you would JB weld or a two part epoxy, apply it to the stripped edges of the drain hole, apply a release agent to the bolt, screw it in, wait a few seconds and unscrew it. Then you allow the material to harden overnight and your all set. The threads created are as strong as the aluminum that surrounds them, so just don't over torque it and your back on the road.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I forot to mention ne thing.

all these methods require removing the pan, because there will be reidue(metal shavings, etc), that needs to be cleaned out.

·
3,476 Posts
My local auto machine shop put a Heli-coil in mine for 15 bucks....May want to try that since the kits are kinda expensive.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I hope it is only the threads. The fart knocker that had mine over torqued it and it actually had a crack that started at the threads and out almost 2 cm. The threads were repairable but not the crack...so I bought a new pan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts