Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok My bike has all type of motor upgrades that the previous owner put on it. I have honestly jumped and spanked a few 00/01 929RR
With my dinosour 86 1100-g with a bad 2nd gear and I'm a big guy 310 lbs. However my machine has been punch out to 1200cc plus the heads ported and polished with after market valves and its been jetted (3 stage). with a vance and hines SS exhuast system.
So in a straight line on a dry day (carbs need work)I can say I catch the hondas and eatem up. I was just wondering how would this machine stack up in stock form. would it run with a R1 or a 929rr or would it be around a 750's class in the straight line. I know with the advance suspentions I cannot hang on the twistys. what do you guys think. on the staight 1/2 mile or even better 1/2 mile straight dash? I know rider will be the main factor. this is just for drunken argument's sake.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Good that you got motor. You might still want to go up 1 or 2 on the rear, given the awesome accel of the new machines.

However, to really compete, you'd need to get fork springs and a gold valve emulator for the front suspension and any decent aftermarket for the rear, all based on your weight and riding style.

The front brakes aren't too shit hot stock, so might be better to replace with some more modern Nissin/Tokicos from a wreckers. Either way, good pads and brake lines.

Don't overtire the old 1100 - biggest mistake. Find a good set that will fit the rims you have and go for it.

Damn I love spending other peoples money

Follow Mr. Gixxer's restoration of the 'old skool gixxer'. Won't go wrong. There is a reason why so many of them still exist when compared to other brands.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
the older gsxr's are awesome bikes.....they might be a bit heavier than the latest ones, but they're dead reliable, easy to work on, and there are tons of aftermarket parts available.

sorry about your 2nd gear, though....how bad is it, is it gone completely?

·
Registered
434 Posts
having an 86 750 that is heavily modified in the suspension department and I did it one step at a time I will try to give some insite. Put a 97 front end from a 750 on with 320 discs and 6 pots and braided lines stops great even with oem pads will stop better after pads where out and go to pm or ebc etc. On the back the stock non rebuildable shock is BAD so put a 91 remote resivoir shock on have to make some linkage and modifiy the shock mount fork to an eye type. Put 17s on with 207 then added racetech gold valves all of the above where major improvements but now with the increased stiffness in the suspension and the extra grip from the tires the bike still is not really stable in fast sweepers and it would move around a lot on the freeway behind trucks the problem turns out to be the stock swingarm it is REALLY BAD so mounted a 90 style the one with the plate welded across the cross brace now it handles very good not as good as my buddies 929 but very respectable and safe. It still moves around a little when pressed hard and that can be improved by bracing the frame, overall I would say it is now a middle 90's type handling.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hey doug, post some pictures of that bad boy. I also have an 86 GSXR limited edition that I am in the middle of modifying. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Old vs. New?? A question for the ages...

But you have an 750RG too!!!

I was going to leave mine in original condition after replacing the rotors, chain/sprocktes, and tires. And then I discovered Ebay!

I've put a set of 17" (5.5 rear w/180) wheels, a WP shock, swingarm mounted fender, directionals from a Buell, AP front brake lever (magnesium), front and rear calipers from a TL-R, EBC rotors, a new-from-the box '94 USD set of forks/triples and mounted an auxillary oil cooler in series with the main cooler. Plus at Road America the seat cowl was autographed by Mladin, Yates and Hacking.

I've still got this winter to replace the 31mm carbs with a set of 36mm's I bought, and mount an oil cooler inline with the lines from the top of the bottom end and the back of the cylinders. Then there's the adjustable ignition advancer, Yoshimura adjustable cam sprockets, fresh piston-rings (and maybe some motor work) and getting the seat re-done in blue leather by Sargent's in Florida.

It's almost as much fun to work on it as it is to ride it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well I had a 1988 GSX-R750(the one that was too heavy stock and came with that peaky, short stroke motor that only God could get HP out of) for over 9 years. This bike was heavily modified and produced a reliable 119 HP at the rear wheel. Suspension was 92 GSX-R(forks)with a FOX shock for the rear. I used Dunlop D364 rubber on it in it's later years and had 17" late GSX-R rims + swingarm. In early 1996 I bought a 96 GSX-R 750T and kept the '88 for about 10 months(it was hard to part with an old friend). I barely rode the '88 after experiencing the handling, lightweight, and HP of the '96. Sorry, in my opinion the newer bikes are so much better. Braking, handling, and HP in that order. Your bike is lightweight and displaces 1200cc!!! That bike has to have at least 140 HP at the rear wheel if the motor's in top shape, if not more. You may be able to waste some of the newer bikes. But you're carrying a lot of weight.

·
Registered
33 Posts
750T. Good bike but the old 1100's kick. I've got a 91 7/11 with 1216cc and 150hp. There wasn't a standard bike around until the Hayabusa and the R1 that would beat it in a straight line. I would still prefer my gixxer over a bumpy backroad than any of the new light weight missiles.

I think we all drool over bikes like the new GSXR1000, but for a couple of thou I could get 200hp out of the old gixxer.

Dale

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yeh old gixxers are good orright.My mates 'old' 1100m will give my 99750 a run for its money anyday in a straight line & throw in a few bumps & the lighter weight of the 99 means the 1100 will get even further in front.But throw them onto a twisty backroad .....not too tight....the 750 will dissapear in no time.Real tight stuff is 50/50 with the faster corner speed of the 750 being equalled by the sheer grunt of the 1100 &the fact that it keeps the front down easier so can drive harder. Top end seems to be similar....no real advantage either way but no contest under brakes the 750 is way better.Suspension advances on the 99 mean its way better but again on rough stuff the light weight can actually work against you....it jumps around a lot more the old beast keeps its wheels on the road better...but requires much more strength to pull into corners....hmmmm I guess they both have their good & bad points but lets be honest unless you are into racing you will enjoy either one !!

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: DEATH INC. ]

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hey bcklrcr,
I would like to pick your brain for ideas. You have dome some mods that I would like to do. Send me your email address so I can get an idea of how to do some of the mods.
Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
road a 2001 929rr was not impressed seems like alot of power for such a small bike. but it seemed like my old carburated beast still had more ass to it even with my bad tunning. But I have heard there is nothing like a V twin. that TRL must be addictive!If I get a chance I will through my leg over one and give it a test.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts