Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this is a dumb ass question but ive only had my bike for about a month and i want to give it a good cleaning tomorrow. my back rim is covered in brake dust and the spring and everything back there is all dirty. anywya, how do i wash my bike? do i have to have the bike on? and what parts do i avoid getting water on? i know ill have to remove my tank bra but what parts of the motor do i ahve to avoid? any input on cleaning the triple tree,guages,etc..

thanks.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Simple Geeen(or Honda, Suzuki cleaner), Auto Soap, Water, sponge, clean towel.

Sprits it with simple green (avoid tires). Wash with soapy water just as you would a bicycle. Rinse, wax.

Do while motor is cold.

Thats about it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Make sure you use lots of the "tire wet" silicone spray. Nothing looks better than those shiny wet looking tires. Go nuts, use the whole bottle, do the whole tire.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You trying to kill the kid!? Be extra careful of using WD-40 as to not touch the tire, and NO silicone. I know it's a joke, but I'm not sure he does.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'm dumbfounded to see anyone saying to put "ANYTHING" on the tire. Don't do anything with that tire other than a scrub brush with good ol detergent based soap if you want them to look good. Also, just replace the tires if they ever start to look dried out and/or cracked from conditional abuse.. such as old age, chemical contact, or hard wear n' tear.

never, ever, ever put any kind of glamour shit on your tires. You'll fuck up you and your bike..

Sorry for the foul lingo... Just don't want to see anyone go down for good looks so to speak.

Not to slam the other person so much... but I am just trying to prevent a mishap.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I also like to use WD-40 to clean the sprockets up and chain and give her some new chain lube before riding again. I like using products made by Clean Cycle Products, they make some killer cleaning products and some awesome polishing product...they even have these sweet little shoe strings with wax in them to get round surfaces. check them out www.cleancycle.com

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah im sure some nice shiny, greased up tires will really help me turn alot better! lol, anyway my bike is real filthy and i just got my chain tightened and lubed and i have no idea how to lube it myself. what kind of lube to use? im only familiar with cars so im gonna give this baby a real good wash in about 2 weeks before i get my tune up(so the dealer can re-lube everything). how do you guys get in where the spring is at? so wd-40 for the rims? that lube is a bitch to get off. what about brake cleaner? any other reccomendations on brands of soap,etc?

thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Once you get it clean.....never, ever ride it and then it will always be clean! Make sure you keep the tires off the ground too cause they'll get dirty spots on them

[ 01-09-2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: outcold ]

·
Registered
645 Posts
Outcold..... youuuuuuu... are..one-silly-bastard! hehe Looks like yours is really cherry though.

as for lubing the chain, I use Mobil 1 synth 90 wt gear oil. Then when it's a little dryer I'll add a little chain wax to keep the lube in a little better or to even just protect the chain from dirt better. Then if I want to clean it, I use simple green or maybe wd40 to wipe all the crap off after 500 miles or more. It stays pretty nice for a long time, but I'm a real preventative maintenance freak. Hey! Maybe I should start a handle name that would rival Johns. Call me "Preventative-Maint.freak" LOL Ok that's dumb,but seriously my standpoint is if you take good care of the bike and also means keeping it clean. It will take care of you. That and less things that could be affected by dirt will go wrong.

So take it or leave it... I'm outa' here for pizza an' beer you hosers eh!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i washed the bike today and the back rim took forever to clean. i still have to hit it up some more tomorrow. anyways,i used wd-40 to get the grease off there, and i was wondering how i go about cleaning the wd-40 off of my tire? just use soap and a rag? also, i have these little brown dots inside the Suzuki letters on my gas tank and they will not come off. anyone have a similar prob. and can give me advice on how to remove it? thanks. o , and how do i clean my triple tree, gauges,hanldes,etc.?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no its not. people been tellin me not to get wd-40 on the tire and guess what- i got some on the tire. so i was wonderin if it will just come off with soap and water before i go out and ride and realize it doesnt when i take a turn and fuck up my bike cause i dropped it cause my tires were slippery.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That's a joke about the WD-40 on the tire, RIGHT?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts