Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Need some suggestions or tips on how to tie-down my 01 600 on a flat bed trailer.

I've been told different versions on how to tie down the bike. A lot of people I asked around said they tie down the front end starting from the lower triple tree, over the air intake duct, then to the trailer floor. Others have said they just wrap it around the clip-ons/grips then to the trailer floor. How do you guys normally do it? I know the forks need to be compressed but what's the best method?

How about securing the rear? I've heard to cinch it down through the subframe and then crank it down to compress the rear shock. Any other place I should be looking at wrapping the tie-downs around?

It's a flat bed trailer with no tire chock. And it's going to be my first time trailering my bike. Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

·
Registered
431 Posts
get a canyon dancer and do two tie downs from that, then do two more lower down the forks to the same floor point slightly ahead of the axle, make sure to compress the suspension when tightening up, in the back, use the passenger foot pegs tied to floor mounts behind the rear axle, again compressing suspension when tightening, sometimes i strap the front brake lever to prevent any roll (although there shouldnt be any), i dont know if this is good for the bike though, ive never gone very far with my bike trailered.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Have a van now, but I used to use a trailer. I run the straps around the lower tripples and down, but if the tie-down points on the trailer are too far apart, the straps will rub the fairing. On the rear, go around the subframe or passenger pegs. My SRAD has a hole in each side of the frame in front of the subframe, that can be used as well if your straps have hooks.

Apart from that, you need something to keep the wheels from sliding sideways, for example a couple of 2x4s bolted to the trailer floor. A rear wheel stand can do as well if it's secure enough.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Here is my ghetto strap job. Its not a flat trailer but pretty close, use it to haul my quad.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The pic of Highway's tow setup looks good. I used the same meathod three weeks ago to move to San Diego from Louisiana. Get a Canyon Dancer. To compress the suspension I had my friend sit on the tank and then sit on the passenger seat while I tied it down. It made the trip fine and I never had to tighten or fix any of the straps the whole way here. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts