Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Yearning for a higher post count...
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok you savvy mechanics out there.

I broke and stripped the screw that holds the mirror to the plastic fairing.

It's now stuck in the hole opening and I can't remove it. On top it has this tiny washer on it which is making it almost impossible to come out.

Can someone please let me know how can I remove it altogether.

I tried using a vice grip on one end then using a ratchet at the bottom where the nut is but it just stripped the top of the bolt on top even further.

I'm trying to install a new mirror.

Any ideas would be appreciated

·
Registered
635 Posts
Just do like many squids do who never go to as track and take the mirrors off LOL.

Stay with it, you'll get it somehow.

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thinking if using a Damaged Screw Extractor.

The screw is sitting right on the edge/flushed so going to try and remove using the extractor.

Read this on another thread.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
you're confusing the issue here, bolt? doesn't the mirror have studs then nuts screw onto those?

if you can get a bolt/nut extractor over the stud (deep socket style) it will grab and screw it off.. pics are best in this situation..

the stud can be re-threaded with a die so the mirror can be used again

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you're confusing the issue here, bolt? doesn't the mirror have studs then nuts screw onto those?

if you can get a bolt/nut extractor over the stud (deep socket style) it will grab and screw it off.. pics are best in this situation..

the stud can be re-threaded with a die so the mirror can be used again
I need to somehow remove the bolt or nut. See photos below.

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of course one of the bolts from the mirror was missing so I decided to purchase one of these bolts (see photo) which works perfectly but you need to hack off the bolt head or it's not going to work.

These factory mirrors do not sell the bolts separately so you need to improvise.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
no wait you didn't? oh man, shoulda found some thin plastic veneer then taped it all around so your wandering drill bit didn't gouge it up, several layers of duct tape or something? so sorry about that..

start with metal punch, punch a small pilot dimple, then begin drilling with a 1/16th" bit with oil very slowly to start a pilot hole, work your way up in sizes till you are just about the size of the inner threads, then wiggle it out, as a precaution always protect a finished working surface so you do not damage body parts so forth...

colorite has touch up pens for your exact color match, sand it smooth, touch it up, perhaps a few squirts of clear as well thena polishing session.. won't be noticeable so you're not telling the tale time to time, "yea I drilled her up one day nuttin better to do" maybe watch a youtube video on touch ups so forth?

I cut up those plastic cooking sheet thingys you find rolled up in the cupboards, they're nice, flexible and they cut to shape really nice for guitar work you name it, handy stuff.. fugg the ol' lady she can use metal baking pans like everyone else.. lol .. I discovered its best not to say that directly to her face tho, email may be best, text? :)

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no wait you didn't? oh man, shoulda found some thin plastic veneer then taped it all around so your wandering drill bit didn't gouge it up, several layers of duct tape or something? so sorry about that..

start with metal punch, punch a small pilot dimple, then begin drilling with a 1/16th" bit with oil very slowly to start a pilot hole, work your way up in sizes till you are just about the size of the inner threads, then wiggle it out, as a precaution always protect a finished working surface so you do not damage body parts so forth...

colorite has touch up pens for your exact color match, sand it smooth, touch it up, perhaps a few squirts of clear as well thena polishing session.. won't be noticeable so you're not telling the tale time to time, "yea I drilled her up one day nuttin better to do" maybe watch a youtube video on touch ups so forth?

I cut up those plastic cooking sheet thingys you find rolled up in the cupboards, they're nice, flexible and they cut to shape really nice for guitar work you name it, handy stuff.. fugg the ol' lady she can use metal baking pans like everyone else.. lol .. I discovered its best not to say that directly to her face tho, email may be best, text? :)

That was metal dust particles...besides it sits underneath the base of the mirror so you can't see it anyway. 😁

But yeah I get your point - should've covered a bit more around the working area.

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only you guys know I messed up. 😁

I just wanted the damn bolt out.

Yeah I have some of the Colorite stuff around.

ok now to the finish product....................

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Think we have all been there just comes to a point it`s whatever it takes. Job done and lessons learnt is what it is all about.
Yeah that's exactly my perspective.

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Best advice for that problem get familiar with a Drexel get very familiar grinders should be your friends from here on!
Agreed. Thinking about getting one for those times when it's needed and good to have in the tool box anyway.

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bottom line is that I'm definitely not a motorcycle mechanic but just a rider like many on here who just tries to just do some basic/minor mechanical work on bikes. I like learning so try to troubleshoot stuff as best as I can.

Hopefully this thread will help those like me with little to no mechanical skills.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It actually looked as though the bolt was being held in by the rubber washer/spacer?

Anyways- glad you got it.

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It actually looked as though the bolt was being held in by the rubber washer/spacer?

Anyways- glad you got it.
yes that was part of the pain in the arse...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts