Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bike just started acting up. It sounds horrible, and doesnt run well at all. While in neutral is seems fine, but once in gear it is bad. I thought it may be a plug, but they are all fine. How will I know if my bike jumped teeth on the cam chain? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I know your cct may be failing if you can hear your cam chain slapping around. It makes a sound similar to a diesel engine. Odds are it's failing. My bike failed 3 before I replaced it with a manual one from Ape Racing.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
This is a direct quote from the sticky post, stuck to the very noticable top of this forum, only a true gem can miss it
:

What are the symptoms of the CCT going bad?
A ticking/clicking noise from the right side of the motor, very noticeable at idle. Some say the bike sounds like a diesel, if the tensioner has failed you can cause internal engine damage so if the motor ever sounds terrible like this, do not run the motor and do not ride the bike. The automatic tensioner bolts can back out and cause timing jumps, which can bend your valves or cause other internal damage. This $50 quick fix can turn into a $500+ looooong fix or lead to a seized motor which can cause a crash etc.

Jon T Flesh reported a hydraulic automatic tensioner going bad in only 100 miles, and GSXR-Freak recommends checking the tension every 6000 miles or so (tension can only be adjusted on the manual tensioner though, of course). If you have the manual tensioner already and get the "diesel" or clicking sound, it is wise to check the tension in the cam chain immediately.

Click to proceed to the whole message:

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001800

[ 10-04-2002, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: migz123 ]

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Migz..your my main man! thanks so much for finding that glove!!!!

I think im going to get a manual cct even though my 99 750 motor only has 800 miles..im told these motors are known for having the cct go out on them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts