Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2006 GSXR 600 and i just recently replaced the Rectifier/Regulator with a Mosfet R/R and relocated it to the side of the frame,
I live in very hot weather with lots of traffic, this was the main reason my R/R went out in the first place.
Is there any way to keep my bike cooler, such as an upgraded radiator/ radiator fan controller?
If so which brands should i go with? I just don't want to be stranded again and again because of this Issue. :crying:

Any Ideas?

Thanks

BTW: the bike has 37,000 Kms, a Power Commander 3, and a Coffman Slip on pipe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've relocated my rr into left side of the tail, like exup motor but opposite side and also added a 12v fan which is connected to the license plate wiring, this has been working well with no issues at all

Wysłane z mojego SM-G920F przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've relocated my rr into left side of the tail, like exup motor but opposite side and also added a 12v fan which is connected to the license plate wiring, this has been working well with no issues at all

Wysłane z mojego SM-G920F przy użyciu Tapatalka
My only problem is that i actually had it there but it burnt out because there was no air flow and the stock one got hot all by itself. I could try relocating the Mosfet R/R there but the wire i had connecting it burnt out so i don't have long enough wiring. I Also don't think it will fit because its quite a bit bigger, Anyways my main concern is keeping the engine a little cool,er when in traffic so some sort of radiator modification would be helpful.

Thanks anyways

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,

I have a 2006 GSXR 600 and i just recently replaced the Rectifier/Regulator with a Mosfet R/R and relocated it to the side of the frame,
I live in very hot weather with lots of traffic, this was the main reason my R/R went out in the first place.
Is there any way to keep my bike cooler, such as an upgraded radiator/ radiator fan controller?
If so which brands should i go with? I just don't want to be stranded again and again because of this Issue. :crying:

Any Ideas?

Thanks

BTW: the bike has 37,000 Kms, a Power Commander 3, and a Coffman Slip on pipe.
I've decided the best way to keep the bike cooler would be to do a coolant flush, with some better coolant. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type/brand of coolant i should use?

I ride in 34 Degree weather (90 degrees for you Americans) and have to sit in traffic for quite a while for where i go to school.

Thanks, Anthony

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,529 Posts
It should be cool enough if it's in the factory recall reinstalled position. If it was mounted under some fairing like you mentioned, that is a poor place.

The original position in 06 was right behind the rad and above the headers- the worst place to put it.

As for cooling, if your rad fan runs very often, you're not gonna really be able to do much. Aftermarket hoses like SAMCO would help the bike stay a little cooler, but only with airflow. As for coolant, any brand name that meets the specs in the manual. If someone recommends "X" brand, it MUST meet the manual's specs to be used.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
The recalled location for the RR is fine. I made my own steel bars and rubber mounts. No it does not look as great but it definitely gets more air. Downside of this position is a lowside may damage it. I also changed the stator at the same time due to many replaced RRs going bad again if the stator was not changed. As far as the bike overheating, water wetter or something like that is more efficient than coolant, and water alone is most efficient. I don’t know how dirty your bike is but a clean radiator works way better than a dirty one.

Attachments

·
Registered
689 Posts
There's a difference between overheating and trying to get things running cooler, the first is a problem, the second a comfort

K6/7 run pretty warm standard

What might help a little is setting the AF mixture a little richer, keep the engine oil topped (to the indicator) and perhaps use a different grade oil
Also a different temp sensor for the fan, so that it turns on sooner

Or more rigorously: Suzuki GSXR 600/750 K6-K9 additional radiator
For which you'll also need to replace your headers

Edit: You might also want to try and find a black radiator, dull/dark surfaces lose heat faster than shiny/light surfaces
(I wouldn't try and paint the OEM rad, as you'll be adding a layer of paint on it which might act as isolation, plus you might end up clogging up the mesh)

·
Super Moderator
14,982 Posts
A good coolant flush would help and you certainly want to make sure your radiator isn't damaged by checking for bent or broken fins. And just so you know...all of our bikes get hot while sitting in traffic. They weren't really designed to be hanging out between zero and five mile an hour.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A good coolant flush would help and you certainly want to make sure your radiator isn't damaged by checking for bent or broken fins. And just so you know...all of our bikes get hot while sitting in traffic. They weren't really designed to be hanging out between zero and five mile an hour.
Alright, thanks ill just flush it and use some water wetter/distilled water 50/50 mix, and that should be good enough. I guess if everyone else's bikes over heat a little bit, it probably wont be the end of the world for me.

·
Super Moderator
14,982 Posts
There's a difference between overheating and trying to get things running cooler, the first is a problem, the second a comfort
I guess if everyone else's bikes over heat a little bit, it probably wont be the end of the world for me.

I quote Nightbat just in case you misunderstood. None of our bikes are overheating but most if not all of our bikes will get hot while sitting in traffic on a 90 degree day. It is totally normal for the temp gauge to climb into the 220s in that situation. By then your fan should be turning on to cool things down a bit reassuring you that there's absolutely NO need to panic. :thumbup

·
Registered
689 Posts
I quote Nightbat just in case you misunderstood. None of our bikes are overheating but most if not all of our bikes will get hot while sitting in traffic on a 90 degree day. It is totally normal for the temp gauge to climb into the 220s in that situation. By then your fan should be turning on to cool things down a bit reassuring you that there's absolutely NO need to panic. :thumbup
:thumbup

Time to worry starts when you see temperature climb to 233 F and see the FI light light up, or you hear the rad barfing out coolant into the reservoir when switching the ignition off
(speaking from experience)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yea I've not worried about engine temps on my K7 600 reaching 220 or even 230 sitting in traffic. Mainly because I hear the fans kick on, and I live in Central Florida... gets hot here and it's quite normal to see a bike jump from 160/170 degrees in moving highway traffic to reach 220 once you hit standing traffic very quickly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
:thumbup

Time to worry starts when you see temperature climb to 233 F and see the FI light light up, or you hear the rad barfing out coolant into the reservoir when switching the ignition off
(speaking from experience)
I currently live the States and where I'm from traffic can be really bad. I easily climb over 230 and have seen it get just over 250 degrees Fahrenheit. I will do a coolant flush and run it a little richer, 60/50 for this summer. Unfortunately, JMRaceRadiators can't ship to me so I will have to find another company for that.

Back to my high temperatures, the bike has never died while sitting in the heat. What else should I add to my routine maintenance for these conditions? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same issue with my RR (06 gsxr 600) and mounted it inside of the airbox. Perfectly fine there, problem solved. The only work I had to do is drill the holes into the airbox. The factory wires are long enough also. This should stop your problem altogether.

·
Registered
285 Posts
These bikes definitely dislike sitting idle...
Not only do they run hot, but things like the charging system don't function as well at idle either.
The beast wants out! :)
I added a manual fan switch to mine as an extra comfort, but as long as the fans kick in, you should be good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So we're new to our K6, which was in none too good condition- a blown freeze plug and a bad cam position sensor, among other things.
So after numerous coolant and oil changes it runs well, but a couple of times, rolling into the garage after a longer ride, the temp reading is getting higher and a couple of times I've had the spitting back into the overflow. Last time, enough to overfill that and spit out the tube, which then lubes up the rear tire. Not good.
I replaced the radiator cap with new Suzuki and after a couple hour ride today in cool temps it still seemed hot and the fan ran for quite a while after shutting down (but leaving the key on).
Ironically, her other bike parked next to this one, her beloved SV650, is a model of temperature stability.
So do I need some more flushing? A new thermostat? In normal running the temp readings seem okay enough, if not varying a bit more than I'm used to on other bikes.
Bill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts