Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to split my lower case to remove the transmission. I can't seem to split the lower case. I believe there is a retainer plate behind the clutch. I got the 50 mm nut off and the friction and steels but can't get the 28+mm bolt off to remove the basket and get to the retainer plate. Is the smaller nut on the clutch a reverse thread? Do I have to remove the front sprocket to split the case? How about the other gear, I think it is called the starter clutch? (on the same side as the front sprocket behind the case)????? Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
You trying to get off the nut that holds the inner aluminum basket and clutch basket off right? Its not reverse thread, yes their is a retainer behind that holds the cases as i told you before on the other thread. You can leave on the starter clutch, and sprocket (i always do when i split) You need an impact gun the get that nut off if it has never been off, i beleive its a 30mm, or maybe 32mm, i get my bikes confused on sizes of that?? Did you bend the lock retainer back that holds that nut in place?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help you did tell me there was a retainer screw before. I was alittle confused at your last reply, do I need an impact gun for the inner clutch or for the sprockets I can leave on? I can't seem to brake that nut free. I can get my front sprocket off the bolt is loose but not the clutch bolt. I am so pissed...help please?????

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
impact on the clutch nut is what i mean. front sprockt can stay on the output shaft. I assume you are not using a impact? If you have the suzuki clutch holding tool a impact is not neccessary to remove this nut, i don't have one so i use a impact gun on mine. You "could" try using something else to hold the clutch basket so you can remove it without an impact,i have done this before in a pinch but do not reccomend it at all, i accept no responsibilty for what you may damage if you place it in the wrong spot and start going to town on the wrench. see pics for nut I'm reffering to in the center of the clutch inner basket. hope that helps

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is the one I am trying to get off. I have left the front sprocket on and am planning on putting a wrench on the front sprocket nut and then bracing the wrench against the case and then getting down on the clutch bolt. I don't have a clutch tool either but may be able to get an impact wrench. Do you think I could have someone hold the sprocket side with a box wrench and then loosen the clutch bolt myself??? It seems like it is really on there. Thanks for all the help. The pics make all the difference. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Might work?? if the motor was in the bike it would work since you could use the rear brakes with the chain on to hold it, I've done that at the track before!!! Not the recommended way though. I would just toss the motor in the car, and go to shop with a impact gun, or clutch tool and ask them to zip it off for ya. If you try to do it the way you are talking make sure you put some bolts back in the cases since the gears are gonna want to climb each other and try to open the cases with the force you need to get them bolts loose, if you don't you can tweak the cases since you only have one bolt left holding them together.

good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I need an impact gun. I can't get this nut to budge. I pulled a nice knuckle buster last night though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts