Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,152 Posts
Is that an OEM cap? Mine also does that now, but only after buying a chinese replica and swapping in the part with the gasket into my OEM cap. I always though the problem developed because of that, as I don't remember it happening before.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,716 Posts
What year? Something's not right and I also wonder if it's one of those $29 ebay repops. Remove the cap, three screws, and post a pic of the underside. While it's off, post another pic of the opening in the tank for the cap.

Has the bike ever been stolen or wrecked?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not that I know of, the key is funky on it though thats for sure, it takes a little wiggle for the ignition switch, the gas cap and trunk are perfect though.

It's a 2006 1000, I'll take it off and get pictures this weekend.

Thanks.

Clean title, but who knows the real truth with a used bike, all I can do is fix and repair, ya know.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ok, so I took the cap off today and took some pictures.

Also painted the rim as it was horrible, just a quick fix, not great, but any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks

·
3,152 Posts
I recognize the stampings on the various parts, but, having done the swap I've mentioned, I'm no longer sure which parts are OEM and which aftermarket copies. I assume you use the same key on all your keylocks, correct? Any reason to assume the ignition switch is aftermarket?

Also, I wonder what might be causing such extensive corrosion on the latch when your neck is relatively fine. When my gasket started leaking in rain water, the neck quickly developed rust, but I don't remember anything out of the ordinary on the latch.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes same key on trunk,tank and ignition. Not sure the key is OEM, possibly remade? The ignition is funky and the key takes a special "shake" to get it to turn, nothing terrible, but its not smooth.

I also noticed the corrosion on the latch, but its not effecting the function of opening and closing.

At this point I just hate the little popup of the cap.
think I should just buy a fancy aftermarket one ?

·
3,152 Posts
While I understand your annoyance, I find accumulation of water and rust in the fuel, to be a source of much bigger and likely more long-winded annoyance. I therefore would not swap it over mere aesthetics, if it currently works, certainly not with a cheap aftermarket part.

The key is certainly aftermarket, and perhaps the cap is too. It's hard to see from the pics, but the gasket seems to have receded for some reason, leaving traces of rubber behind. That would explain the cap sticking out, but I don't know why it would happen. Perhaps disassembly and inspection would reveal something.

·
7,716 Posts
That looks like an OEM cap, i.e. the orange-red gasket, 43A inspection mark, ST43 mark, and AD32 mark all agree with pics that I have. That white deposit is going to end up in the fuel and then in the pump filter ($250). Not good. It needs to be disassembled and cleaned. It also suggests that rust on the inside of the tank is likely and needs to be removed. I'm guessing that the lock/latch doesn't rotate/move like it should and that's the source of your problem. Here again disassembly/cleaning/lubrication (Krytox) is in order. Careful when you disassemble as I seem to recall that there are some parts where it's not apparent how they go back together. Photos while disassembling are desirable. I'm also guessing that you're not storing the bike properly.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've only had the bike a few months, I live in S.FL and its stored inside a storage unit.
The inside of the tank from a flashlight look has zero rust, I do agree I should clean that white corrosion and will do this weekend. The key actually opens and closes the tank just perfectly, surprisingly. I will take pics and disassemble it.

Thanks

·
7,716 Posts
^Sometimes the lock will turn enough to effect a latch function but the latch doesn't slide out enough to fully engage the tank. That's what you should be looking for. Once you remove the two screws on the latch cover, or whatever it's called, you'll be able to remove the latch and see how the cylinder engages it to cause it to move.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts