Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Mightiest Sorcerer of the Lands a.k.a. Rhinocerous
22,048 Posts
easter bunny said:
Thanks for that info. I've been known to put a trash bag on under my (perforated) suit to block the wind. This seems like a little better idea. I've come back from a few rides where I was just fuggin NUMB.
Lol, you need something OVER the perforated suit. My one-piece leathers are perforated but the Motoboss rain suit doesn't breath at all so it's perfect.
My hands get cold when I wear my leather gloves but that's about it. Otherwise, I'm warm at 7am in 30 degree weather.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
in the coldest of winter where i am it's been known to get into the teens!!! I've ridden in frigid cold temps as low as 25-30 degrees:eek:hmy

Don't get me wrong when it's that cold I don't just joy ride for the hell of it, but I tolerate it from point A to point B, plus Snowboarding is my passion, so i'm used to being cold as fuck haulin ass:punk

·
Registered
235 Posts
39 degrees this morning. And windy. 25 minute drive to work.

Do it all winter unless it's below freezing and/or with precipitation of any sort.

I have a fleece jacket under my Joe Rocket Meteor 3 jacket. Have Phoenix mesh pants still (my winter ones crapped out last winter), but the knee armor keeps the knees warm enough.

Coldest part is my fingers, and the Shoei is pretty windy inside, so I have a wrap around my neck and up into my helmet.

Sure does wake you up in the morning!

·
> than you
2,593 Posts
When it's cold enough to distract you, and affects your riding.

When you're cold on a bike, you can't even enjoy the ride. You're freezing, and all you can think about is getting to wherever you're going. That's when you end up in a ditch because you're riding too fast and sloppy on cold tires and a cold road, with cold hands and cold feet. That's how you get tickets because you're so damn cold and all you can think about is where you're trying to go. You're riding way faster than you should, and in your 1/2 frozen, tunnel vision stupor, you failed to locate that cop that just watched you fly by.

When it affects your concentration, judgement, and focus, it's too cold to ride.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
i guess im a pussy :lol

70's if the sun is shinning. high 70's at night. wont go out if it is above 90.

·
22,048 Posts
5280 said:
When it's cold enough to distract you, and affects your riding.

When you're cold on a bike, you can't even enjoy the ride. You're freezing, and all you can think about is getting to wherever you're going. That's when you end up in a ditch because you're riding too fast and sloppy on cold tires and a cold road, with cold hands and cold feet. That's how you get tickets because you're so damn cold and all you can think about is where you're trying to go. You're riding way faster than you should, and in your 1/2 frozen, tunnel vision stupor, you failed to locate that cop that just watched you fly by.

When it affects your concentration, judgement, and focus, it's too cold to ride.

If you don't have the gear for the ride, then don't fucking ride.
There is no weather in Cali that I'm not geared for ready to be geared for.
How many times is someone going to bring up the "cold affects your reflexes" shit? Yeah, no shit it does. You don't see ice-fisherman wearing fucking speedos do you?

·
Registered
679 Posts
I rode everyday last winter when there wasn't snow or ice on the road. I only had to ride about 10 miles to work. Now that I stay on the other side of town that may change.

·
Premium Member
5,885 Posts
i ride all year....as longa as theres no snow, i'll ride....all i wear is a fleece under my leather jacket and i'm good....as far as the fingers goin numb....jsut stick em by the rad or exhaust while at the light!

as as far as windchill, same shit to me whether i'm doin 60 or a 120.... as long as the neck is not exposed it don't bother me too much

·
Taught Goatsee everything he "knows"
12,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The other day I took my dirt bike out for what might be the last ride until winter is over. It was 55 degrees. I wouldnt ride any colder. 55 is it for me. It wasnt all that bad and I could ride it colder but Ill stay with 55 to keep it safe. Like mentioned earlier there are other variables like humidity, windchill, ect that affect how bad the temp will be for riding. Truthfally I dont like to ride in anything lower than the 60s. Anything from upper 60s/mid 70s and up is ideal for me. And as for hot weather. Riding in 90 degree weather is ok as long as youre not sitting still for to long.

·
Is Sexually Attracted To The Guys on GDC
21,546 Posts
29 degrees when i left the house today

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Ridden in the snow a few times -- once out of stupidity and the rest of the time out of necessity. I ride to work year round, saves fighting for parking. Good gear and application of common sense is the method to the madness. The only "cold" days i don't ride are the days that the bike won't turn over or it's just flat out miserable or there's ice on the roads. Other than that, I'll ride.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Electric vest, winter socks, winter gauntlet gloves, balaclava and I'm good down to about 40 degrees which is basically all year round here in Memphis.

·
> than you
2,593 Posts
Blaise said:
If you don't have the gear for the ride, then don't fucking ride.
There is no weather in Cali that I'm not geared for ready to be geared for.
How many times is someone going to bring up the "cold affects your reflexes" shit? Yeah, no shit it does. You don't see ice-fisherman wearing fucking speedos do you?
Yep. Dropping a line in a hole in the ice and sitting in a lawnchair waiting for a bite requires maximum focus, and razor sharp reflexes.

It's a different kind of cold when you add in 40-70mph wind.

·
22,048 Posts
5280 said:
Yep. Dropping a line in a hole in the ice and sitting in a lawnchair waiting for a bite requires maximum focus, and razor sharp reflexes.

It's a different kind of cold when you add in 40-70mph wind.
Well if you're trying to spear a seal when it pops it's head up, yeah, it does.

Point being, you're only as cold as you dress.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
SVS said:
Pffft - pussies... :p

As long as there isn't ice on the roads, it's fine :D I've ridden in snow storms before - not something I'd recommend, though :lol
I get all kind of funny looks because I ride year around.:cheers

·
Premium Member
5,169 Posts
High 50's is my limit, prefer low 60's.

Wind speed has a lot to do with it to, if its high 50's yet hella windy i wont.

·
loves oldgixxer and Anthony D
12,611 Posts
spike52 said:
As along as it hasn't snowed & the roads are clear, I always ride.
Last winters lowest temp ride was 19 degrees.

Good gear, great ride..
I'm with you Spike...as long as the snow isnt sticking, I'll be out there....although I have to admit, sometimes its more painfull than fun :lol

41 - 60 of 64 Posts