21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Is Sexually Attracted To The Guys on GDC
21,546 Posts
32 degrees this morning on the way to work

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
It was Feb and we just pick up my buddies new GSXR.
I had my ski jacket, winter gloves and thermal on. It felt cold as sh!t, but I think it was only 35-40 ish. It got worest around 70-80 mph. :hammer

·
Registered
209 Posts
As long as the roads are good i'll ride all year. In the winter I try to get out once every couple of days for about a hour. I just ride around town and all the speed limits are 30 so i just put on the thermal and am good to go. We didn't have any good snow here last year so i haven't had to winterize the bike for a long time. I hope this year is the same way.

·
Registered
672 Posts
all year, all weather rider. i spent a winter in Great Lakes, IL last year and was waiting for a day in the 40s so i could dig the 750 out. hands go numb even with the 'snowmobile racing gloves' i picked up there. going to try to find some heated gloves for when we get back. no car, no need for one...

·
Registered
344 Posts
as long as there is no snow on the roads...was out in January this year....- 10 C...it was ok for a half hour ride..

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
SVS said:
Pffft - pussies... :p

As long as there isn't ice on the roads, it's fine :D I've ridden in snow storms before - not something I'd recommend, though :lol
Well, that and the road salt/gravel the DOT puts on the road from the storm one week prior to the days ride. A "friend's friend of mine" (i.e. me) ended up lowsiding around a blind turn covered with the stuff. :sad

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Besides traction issues, the road salt can get into your chain and compromise its strength as a result of corrosion. My area gets plenty of road salt, so basically its a no-go, unless you want rust developing all over the swingarm, wheels, etc. There are just so many negatives to winter riding, plus I never see noone around here out during winter riding so I don't feel like I'm being a wimp about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anything below 60 and I will chill at the house in the heat before freezing my butt off out in the cold. It is just to hard to try and enjoy the ride when you are cold.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I never used to go riding if it was under 60 but now that i am moving to CT in 2 months im riding as much as i can because i know that i wont be riding again until atleast febuary. And thats if it's a light winter.

·
Registered
187 Posts
50 or better for me, Its just no fun to me below that so I just ride dirt bikes down to about 40 cause you stay a little warmer on them going around tracks and all!!;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
nitrous36 said:
Whats the coldest temperature you would ride in? I usually dont ride in anything below the mid 60's. As you already know winter is setting in. Its 55 degrees right now but I want to ride badly. Is 55 to cold to ride in even when wrapped up? Whats the coldest temp you will ride in?
as far as i'm concerned it's never to cold to ride unless it's to cold to walk outside. it's been between 25-45 here this week depending on the time of day and i haven't stopped riding, haven't even been cold yet. just gotta wear warmer gear.

what i've found to work best is thermals and a fleece sweatshirt under ballistic or leathers and race boots. i also have a face/neck warmer from biker comfort called st-wind plus and it's the best $30 i spent this year! they also make a plastic piece to go in ur helmet to direct ur breath down so as not to fog the sheild.

·
Banned
3,512 Posts
so far this year on tuesday when i left for work at 7:30AM it was 28 degrees F out so that is about the coldest yet for me. my hands got cold due to not having warm enough gloves, but other than that wasn't that bad.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I would say about 50's give or take. Here is Houston when its fairly dry 50's isn't that bad. When its 90%+ humidity and you have that wet cold I wont ride. I only work about 2 miles from home so I will probably continue to ride for a while jsut to enjoy the new bike.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just remember the tires really never get warm when it is real cold. Have to give the bike sooo much more respect so you do not end up on your head. As long as you dress properly and keep things cool I would say any cold weather riding is better than driving a car. We have this new cold weather wind proof gear from Knox called Cold Killers. It is a base layer that allows no wind to penetrate. Bad ass stuff, make cold weather riding much more comfortable.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Sportbike Track Gear said:
We have this new cold weather wind proof gear from Knox called Cold Killers. It is a base layer that allows no wind to penetrate. Bad ass stuff, make cold weather riding much more comfortable.
Thanks for that info. I've been known to put a trash bag on under my (perforated) suit to block the wind. This seems like a little better idea. I've come back from a few rides where I was just fuggin NUMB.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts