Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Dyna 3 ohm coils. I am just trying to eliminate a possible problem since I am not getting any spark. So how do I test them?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
One test is to measure the resistance across the primary terminals, yours should be 3 ohms. This doesn't tell you much because a coil can measure fine but fail under a load.

The best way is to buy two spark testers at the auto parts store. From one coil you connect one spark tester to each of the secondary wires and ground the other end to the engine. You can crank the engine over and see the spark. Set the gap wide enough to load the coil, a good coil will easily jump a 3/4" or 1" gap. Also look at the color of the spark, a blue spark has more energy than a yellow or orange colored spark.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Is this your bike ? do you know the history of it ,,,, and are you getting any signs of life from the bike?i had a similar problem on a couple that i've worked on ...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its my bike. I am on the final stages of a complete rebuild. I bought the coils used so I am not 100% sure that they are good. I am trying to go trhought the bike and eliminate any problems.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I personally have not had good luck with aftermarket coils, I make big ponys with stockers and they seem to take heat better with coffee can sized pistons

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SO far they seem to be working. Thankd for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts