Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok let me first say that Homestead is a looooooooooooonnnnnggggggggggg way from Clarksville TN!! About 16 hours drive away!!!

Anyways, I was not able to make it to Homestead for the practice day on Saturday!! Which left me a 15 minute session on Sunday for practice in the wet (it had rained), on a new rear tire, on a track I have never been to before.

I also learned that yes it is a fast track and a good thing that I had taken my 47 tooth rear sprocket off of the SV and put the 45 tooth back on (thanks Ibidu).
I tried out a new tire from Michelin, it was one of their new dual compound tires medium/soft which worked realy well! I was using a new Mich. rear and a used Mich S2 up front!
My front tire pressure was about 30 PSI and the rear on that new gen. tire was 22 PSI(yes 22).
The tire combo worked really well for me which isn't saying much since I'm not all that fast!
I also tried out some Sunoco 110 race fuel since they had it at the gas station(awsome thing about Florida) just for fun!

My goal for the day was to not come in last, have fun and most importantly finish the races/don't crash!!!

So now for race 1,
9 laps GTL, grid position row 9 left (last)
I was doing rather well for not knowing the track and not doing a race/riden in a while!
I was battleing it out with a guy on a smoker(two stroke) and passsed him (#232) who in turn passed me back up later
. About halfway through the race it started to rain(more like a strong drizzle/light rain) which was enough to slow down the track!
Results 8th out of 11

Race 2 LWT SB
6 laps, Row 8(if I remember correctly) left (last)
Track was soaked!! It had been raining and the track was wet!!!!!!

I went out and had a good time!! I learned that the concrete patches especialy on turn 4or 5(can't remember the number but it is one of those) is really slick when wet!!!!!! My first lap entailed a lot of learning since it was my first time racing in the rain with that much water on the track!! I got the bike to slide a few more times then I wanted with a big slide on the first lap going onto the bank out of the last corner (looked like it was drying but it obviously wasn't), luckily I didn't crash!!!
I had a lot of fun even though it was wet! I learned to be a little smoother this race!
Results 8th out of 11 again

Race 3 Thunderbike
6 laps, grid position (last, again)
I felt soooooooo much better this race!! I was finaly starting to figure out the track and ride somewhat better! The track had dried out and was really nice!! I was battling two guys (trying to pass which is something I need to work at) for better positions! By the time I got around both of them the rest of the pack was gone!! I really felt good this race!! Toooooo bad it was my last race of the day!!
Results
4th out of 7

I had a lot of fun down there at Homestead!! The facilities are awsome and I was lucky enough to share my garage with some really good guys that helped me out!! I wish I could remember his name(I think it was Mike) Expert # 742 on a SV. and his other buddies that helped keep me calm and guide me since I was at a new track (didn't know anything about it), and racing for CCS for my first time and didn't know how they worked. So I owe them a big THANKS!!!

I had a really good time there!!!

I was the guy wearing the Cavalry hat at the riders meeting!! If anybody else was there!!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Sounds like you had a good time and did what you wanted to do...

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yes I had a really good time!!
Anyday on the track is a GREAT day!!!!

I forgot to mention that I tried out a Komodo suit (loaner from Komodo, Chavvon) till they get my MESO suit finished!

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Homestead is a pretty fun track, man it is fast. sounds like a good weekend. what kind of times were you turning there?

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish I knew!! All I looked at was the results!! I didn't see any times!!
This wasn't a WERA event so no transponder.

Thanks Hammer!!

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
with CCS bro they post all laptimes up on the board, and you can go to timing & scoring and get a printout of ALL your laptimes from the entire weekend!

you can still email or call them and see if you can get that info.

its good for me to accurately count the laps I do so I can count miles on the motor. sometimes my laptimer doesnt come on, or i forget how many laps i did

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still have the speedo attached!!

I'll try to drop them a line!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
jp - ccs fl is done differently and has no transponder. only the se stuff has em

stefan - glad you had some fun and its a fast and fun track. great to hear another michelin rider

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm waiting for my Michelin Money now

that soft compound is awsome!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts