Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I put on one of those "Home Depot" eliminators last year, I have been riding around without a plate light.

So I finally installed the stock light directly onto the plate itself. I drilled three holes into the plate (2 small and 1 big for the light bulb case) and used heavy duty velcro to attach it to the plate. It is suprisingly sturdy and clean looking. The light fits perfectly on the plate just above the letters / numbers. I used a little bathtub caulking around the light hole to help keep water out.

I have pictures but I can't post them from my Web Shots site. Is there any way I can upload them right to the Gixxer site? Thanks.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I did the same thing as Uni
did but I shimmed the top of the light housing so that it is not shining on the cars behind.
I'm in PA and don't think the cops would like drilling through the plate.
I don't want to give them an excuse to pull me over.

·
Registered
337 Posts
So I did a search several times and could not find a thread on the "home depot" kit. I remember reading someone using L brackets but the set up you have is obvioulsly much better, the box shape gives you the spot to mount the signals.
So what exatcly am I looking for. I dont want to walk aroud every isle looking for something that may work. What is it really for? what department is it in?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Or you could have just bought some of these Lit-N-Boltz

they normally run about $10

·
Registered
814 Posts
went in today to pick one up. got there and couldn't find any 4x4 connector but now that I am back home looking at the part they do have it there and it was in my hand I just didn't know what it was lol I'll go get it now and post back the exact name of it.

you boys just use a flat black spray paint can? all the ones I saw were silver....

·
Registered
337 Posts
Oh ya, word of advise if you use the stock screws, use a washer big enough for the bolt from the stock fender to fit through its "fat" last lip, near the head. And drill the mount holes large enough also. That way the bolt/screw will not bottom out, but sit flush and the bracket will be tight and not sag.
I chose to mount mine in the two holes closet to the shock, and this worked great, no sag.
But I guess you could get differnt bolts / screws without that lip, and that would work also.

·
Registered
814 Posts
what did you guys use to drill the holes with? just a drill and proper bit or an actual drill press. Im a bit nervous about just doing it freehand.. wouldn't be so bad if I had a vice at least lol
I want to mount that light too but above the plate like on unisonic23's bike up there but don't know how to cut out a 1" hole ....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.