Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I had ambitious plans today; I wanted to get the new exhaust and jet kit installed so that I could strat fiddling with tuning the carbs... but I ran into some minor issues with the Hindle pipe. First of all, ANYONE considering getting the hi-mount hindle, you had better plan on doing away with your right side passenger peg and bracket... there's NO WAY it can stay and not interfere with the can on the Hindle. Also, it looks like I'm going to have to fabricate some sort of bracket for the thing or maybe just bend the tab that used to hold the red reflector and drill that out to mount the can solidly and finish the installation. Those were the minor probs. The biggest trouble that I had today was with the pipes hitting the oil-cooler itself...

...as you can see from the red arrows, the #2 and #3 pipes hit hard on the cooler, I didn't even have enough room to *try* to put the cooler back in it's mounting slots on the bottom. So, a trip to HQ later, I got out the dremel and went to work...

I just made some plates that were 1 1/2" long by 1" wide and drilled 1/4" holes one inch apart. Then I used the dremel (a file or hacksaw would work here too I guess) to approximate the "u" shaped slot that the rubber thingies go in that hold the bottom of the oil-cooler. The end result was satisfying, and doesn't interfere with the steering or bodywork:

Those are the clearest pics I could get... I think ya can see how I made it work. <sigh> I still gotta figure out how to tie down the can, and maybe get the jet kit installed tomorrow... but damn it sounds GOOD! Oh, and the whole Hindle system weighed a LOT less than just ONE of the stock cans. Even after all the extra work, I'd still reccomend this system to anyone thinking about it.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by MrTris:
All I see is red X.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The pics are there... sometimes the free site from gixxer.com is cranky and slow... you can always get there by finding the pic URL in "properties" and look at it directly when it doesn't wanna display here.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Nice job on the mounts. That is a kick ass idea. My V&H exhaust some times hits there also. I'm going to make those mounts also. Thanks for the idea.

·
3,476 Posts
Slick trick Fast Cat.
Don't companies even test shit after they build it!? Mounting my Yosh Duplex was an abortion on my 88/11.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I finally got tired of looking at the mount point for the can on the thing and I just used the tab of metal that originally had the red reflector on it to mount the can to... it took some bending and drilling, but the pipe clears the swingarm, and the can clears (barely) the signal light. I took the thing down to the dyno yesterday to get a baseline before I pull the airbox and install the jet kit and start playing with ignition advance. I was surprised that the curve looks as good as it does, and I'm wondering now if I'll be able to get any improvements at all (except for peak numbers).

So, anyway, I've got my carbs apart on a table now, and yes, the needle jets show some signs of wear (which makes me wonder how critical this is, as good as the dyno run looked) ...and yes, I had to destroy the airbox in order to remove it without taking the engine out first. I'll be scrubbing and cleaning and hopefully I'll get it all together and be ready to go back to the dyno on Monday. ...stay tuned.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, for anyone interested, here are some pics of the BMC air filters that Factory bundles with their jet kits...

...These look to me to be very similar in design, materials, and quality to the K&N filters, and they were more economical too. `Course, it woulda been cooler for me if the rubber endcaps and filter oil were blue instead of red...

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I'm just about done messin' `round with the carbs... will prolly get to the dyno to confirm and start playing with ignition advance tomorrow... but here's what the (nearly) finished piece looks like... I kinda like the way it looks without the lowers on it.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright Kids, the results are in:

I wish now that I had done a baseline dyno with the OEM exhaust... the jet kit and filters didn't gain much over just the stock airbox alone. I figure I'm making about 131 RWHP and 84 ft-lbs. of torque which is an improvement of about 4HP and 4 ft-lbs. over the Hindle with airbox and no advance on the ignition... not bad for 13 year-old technology huh?
It was a little cooler for the final run yesterday, so I cut-n-pasted the correction factors into the scan of the dyno printout. The original trace was a CF of 1.00 and yesterday it was working on a CF of 0.98. The throttle response is a *lot* better, and I don't have the printouts to show it, but the ignition advance *really* made a difference in the mid-range... I was making *less* power in the midrange with the jetkit vs airbox until I added the advance. The thing wheelies like crazy now, idles nice and smooth, and cruises like silk. AND... the Hindle pipe sounds like armageddon when I crank the thing up to the redline, but it's not obnoxious while doing 70mph on the interstate. I'm a happy camper!

Oh yeah... I almost forgot to add the nitty-gritty details:

Engine internally stock, 87 octane pump fuel, +5 ignition advance, BMC individual (pair) filters, emulsion tubes replaced with OEM Mikuni parts.
-Pilot jet = #32.5
-Main jet = #155 (#157.5 worked as well, #152.5
too lean, #160 too rich)
-Needle = #0985h-68t.2_std - clip position #2
-float height set to 15mm (stock 14.5mm)
-pilot screws 2 1/2 turns out
-one slide hole restricted.
-all other carb parts left OEM US 49-state.

I've also got some video clips to put on my website for anyone who wants to see/hear.

[ 03-31-2002, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: FastCat ]

·
Registered
243 Posts
LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT.

Looks a stormer dude!

My 90 (L) is going off soon to have a 1216 big bore kit (ported head with 1mm oversize valves, new bottom end, stage three dynojet kit, K&N's, ignition advancer and Dyna coils), and if it goes as good as yours looks I'll be happy as a pig in sh*t

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
very nice....much better than i thought it would be !!!!
those figures are good too..........yes I agree it is amazing what you can do with a 13 year old motor. however, a friend of mine is running a tuned 1100K this year with around 400bhp !!!! including turbo and gas of course.

I like the look of your bike now, it's amazing how they transform to something that look decent from the big old wobbly things that they were when the factory pumped them out.

Well done and be safe
Andy
: thumbup:

[ 04-02-2002, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Andy James ]

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Earl and Andy! The guy who ran the dyno for me *promised* that he could get 150HP at the rear wheel if I'd let him put some 11:1 pistons and a rack of 41mm Keihin flatslides on it... maybe next year.
The weather is getting warmer, and it's too damn nice outside to be turning wrenches... besides, I dunno what the hell I'd do with 20 more HP anyway, I can't keep the front wheel on the ground *now*.

OH yeah, PS- Andy, I'm *still* envious of your paint-job!

[ 04-02-2002, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: FastCat ]

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Lucky me ! I've painted the wheels red and put a full stainless system on since these pics. I'll have to take some more pics when the sun comes out and post then on here to make you more envious. I'll run mine on a dyno too this summer.
do you run standard gearing ?
Mine lifts in 1st and 2nd weith one tooth down at the front but nothing in 3rd.............doh..

I did notice a smoother ride when I replaced my system with a 4-2-1 like you say... Even if I have had the mid pipe baffles removed to flow better, with a complimentary race can , of course.

We are in British summer time now , so the nights are lighter and I can start to get out more soon..........yipee for the UK, even if the goverment hate bikes.

Andy

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, I haven't actually *tried* to lift it in 3rd... The area where I live has a lot of traffic congestion, it's rare to find the opportunity to crack the throttle WOT in 3rd gear without riding out-of-town for an hour first. I went +2 on the rear(15x50), and I'm thinking now that it was a bad idea (for the dragstrip at least). It comes up in 1st and 2nd gear even when I don't want it to, I'm pretty sure it'd loft 3rd if I made the effort. I'm hoping to get some serious miles on the thing this weekend... I'll let you know about 3rd gear as soon as I find out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Fastcat your bike looks great . what i need to know is ware did you get the red air filters I really like those and they would look better then my black k&n filters since i just had my bike painted red .

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
yeah let me know....... haven't got an ignition advancer on mine so I might try one of those too.... Mine only comes up in second when I open it real hard...
It does scare me a little in 1st, 2nd feels controlable and carries for ages anyway but only when I want it too...
Maybe yours is running way better than mine.........from the Dyno charts it looks like you are getting really good smooth power..good for you

Andy

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yo Andy,

I'm about to renew my chain and sprockets (next week), what do you recommend?

If you're ever in the South Wales area, give me a bell, you can get my number off my site.

Later guys.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I will give you a shout if I do travel down there or anywhere near.
I would go for a 'known' X ring if I were you something like DID or the likes.

With sprockets, if you want more acceleration and are ok with 7,ooo rpm in top for 90mph and slightly lower fuel comsumption, mines around 30mpg drop a tooth on the front. Mine still shows 160 on the clock with no probs and the revs just in the red ! Ooops but it is fun...

I've got the 530 conversion too as the 532 is too expensive for no gain over the 530.

Regards,
Andy

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sounds good to me mate... How often do you do 160? On second thoughts, don't answer that

Thanks for the pics mate, the bike looks the tits! As soon as I update the site (this weekend), I'll put yours up with some gumf about it.

Cheers mate

1 - 20 of 25 Posts