Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what is a highside and lowside and what would cause this?...... thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
356 Posts
A lowside would be anytime that you lay the bike down on its side. A highside is when you would fly over the handlebars (and hope the bike doesn't land on top of you). Highsides are obviously much more dangerous and normally caused by the rear wheel sliding out and then gripping again, when out of line with the front tire. The rear could slide out from braking and locking it up or by gassing it too hard out of a turn. If the rear is too far out of line and you would let off of the rear brake, then the bike will violently snap back in to line with front and throw you off. Or if you gas it and let off when the back is too far out - same outcome. If for any reason the back slides out too far, it's reccomended that you grab the front and force a lowside. Hope this helps. Oh, and welcome to the board. How long have you had that bike?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by GQ:
A lowside would be anytime that you lay the bike down on its side. A highside is when you would fly over the handlebars (and hope the bike doesn't land on top of you). Highsides are obviously much more dangerous and normally caused by the rear wheel sliding out and then gripping again, when out of line with the front tire. The rear could slide out from braking and locking it up or by gassing it too hard out of a turn. If the rear is too far out of line and you would let off of the rear brake, then the bike will violently snap back in to line with front and throw you off. Or if you gas it and let off when the back is too far out - same outcome. If for any reason the back slides out too far, it's reccomended that you grab the front and force a lowside. Hope this helps. Oh, and welcome to the board. How long have you had that bike?<hr></blockquote>

thanks for the info. this is my second bike i had a 1998 gixxer 600. i got bored with the 600 sdo i got the 750 in november and i love it. thanks for the welcome bro ....

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
welcome to gixxer.com!

The Two Wheeled Physics Squid Farm is the wackiest place on the gixxer.com -- here you will get the TRUE INSIDE INFORMATION that you need for riding...all the other forums here have NOTHING BUT LIES....oh but here at the Squid Farm....YOU WILL FIND THE TRUTH....Can you handle the truth?????

Now do not listen the foolish answer above...let me tell you what a Highside and a low side is.

First, you must get some duct tape and permanently attach your SHOES to the FOOTPEGS...(an alternative would be to tape your feet to the frame sliders for comfort).

Then you must take your bike to a freeway and proceed to MAXIMUM SPEED. Making sure you are above 150mph, you will then FULLY PRESS ON THE REAR BRAKE - you will be tempted to release but just stay on it with your full weight....the duct tape will ensure the success of the experiment...now many things can happen here, however, how to determine whether you have a highside or a lowside is to observe WHAT THE SKID MARK WILL LOOK LIKE AFTER THE EVENT:

If the Skid mark is a loooooooong thickening curve, then you have produced a low side.

If the Skid mark has produced a sharp angled letter S or better yet, a number 5...then you know that you have performed a high side.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask...at the Squid Farm...you will find the TRUTH....not the lies you will find in the other forums like General Bike Talk etc etc....

Welcome Aboard !! You are annointed.

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: migz123 ]</p>

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
LOWSIDE:

One or both wheels looses grip and slide without regaining traction. End result. Bike will eventually fall onto one of it's sides. This is a lowside.

HIGHSIDE:

Rear wheel ONLY looses grip to a varying degree. At some point in it's slide, it suddenly regains full traction, and in accordance with the physics of a motorcycle in motion, the rear wheel will snap back into line with the front.

This snap can be gentle, or it can be a great massive whip-like movement.

If the snap has enough force, and throws you from the bike.. then that's a highside... if you remain on the bike, and manage to regain control, then that's a "near" highside.

A Lowside is part-and-parcel of owning a sports motorcycle, if you haven't already, you will eventually. A highside is far more avoidable unless you start to push beyond the limits of either you or your bike.

Hope this information helps, and enjoy your new sevenfiddy.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
In summary, when your bike is on it's side stand, the lowside is on the left, the highside is on the right.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Here's the way I tell. If I'm chasing the bike across the pavement on my ass, it was a lowside. If the bike is chasing me across the pavement, and I'm on my ass (or head), it was a highside. A highside is a lot more exciting than a lowside...and will often exhaust you to the point that you have to take a nap on the side of the road. Just like Six Flags...except for the hospital part.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've never had the chance to ride a bull, so every once in a while I'll lock up and slide out my rear tire. When I can't twist my neck to see where I'm going anymore I release the brake and see if I can hold on. It bucks me off everytime, but once I get the hang of this...I'm going to the rodeo!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've never had the chance to ride a bull, so every once in a while I'll lock up and slide out my rear tire. When I can't twist my neck to see where I'm going anymore I release the brake and see if I can hold on. It bucks me off everytime, but once I get the hang of this...I'm going to the rodeo!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by GQ:
I've never had the chance to ride a bull, so every once in a while I'll lock up and slide out my rear tire. When I can't twist my neck to see where I'm going anymore I release the brake and see if I can hold on. It bucks me off everytime, but once I get the hang of this...I'm going to the rodeo!<hr></blockquote>

... a fellow diet pepsi-drinker I see...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Hell I thought you wanted to know about booze you know a Highball, I was trying to figure out what was in a lowball. Better yet get yourself an eightball.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts