1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the lowsides down packed
but now I wana practice high sides

They look like fun on TV
but I cant get them to work. every time I start I end up with another lowside. Whats the trick to get the "moon launch" working

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Shadow One ]</p>

·
Registered
14,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ahhh! So I gota stomp on it...then let it go!
I get it.
Time to give it a try

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
The brake-stomp works, but isn't as elegant as the power sliding highside. Get her leaned way over in 2nd, then WOT to start the slide, then off the gas again. You can clutch it, but that requires more skill than its worth.

If you have really sticky tires, you may even be able to do it on the way into the corner on the front brakes. Hard enough on the front to lift the rear, then start to lean her (that's the tricky part), then let off the binders as the rear is swinging around. That's just a theory, though, so YMMV

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
You could also lower and widen your footpegs so that you can drag them hard enough to lift the rear wheel when you lean... just make sure to get that rear wheel off the ground and stop it from spinning before it comes around and plants itself again... voila!

·
Registered
919 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by LitreGixxer:
[QB]Oh! Oh! Me! Me! OOOH OOH! I know the answer!!

QB]<hr></blockquote>

ive got another way, ive done it on a 50cc bike.
Nail the throttle tothe stop whilst cranked over in the wet and weeeeeeee......ouchhhhh!

good thing is the more powerfull the bike the higher and further you go. I only managed to get about 3 ft of the floor for about 6ft, but not bad when you consider i was doing 30mph

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
did you know that you can bunny hop a gixxer just like a mountain bike?

Ok - it's hard to describe, but I'll do my best:

1) take a log or fallen tree and put it accross the road (tie it to your bike and haul it if needed)

2) TIE YOUR SHOES TO THE FOOTPEGS.

2) drive about 1/2 mile away, turn around and accelerate in the direction of the fallen tree

3) as you approach the tree, put as much weight on the front as possible, then a few feet before the tree, GO FULL THROTTLE...shift your weight to the back and LAUNCH THE FRONT WHEEL ABOVE THE FALLEN TREE.

4) With your shoes tied to the footpegs, you can now PULL THE REAR WHEELS OFF THE GROUND...

that should bunny hop the bike over the fallen tree...a failure of which should produce a spectacular result - the videos of which you can sell over the internet.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
14,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks but I am tryin to high side remember. I only want the back tire to slip, grab, and launch me to the moon

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Shadow One:
Thanks but I am tryin to high side remember. I only want the back tire to slip, grab, and launch me to the moon
<hr></blockquote>

...You must try the bunny hop. Get the tree and jump it. The result is spectacular...to do moon!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Oh! Oh! Me! Me! OOOH OOH! I know the answer!!

I found this out accidentally trying to learn how to back it in. All you have to do is get going really fast before a corner, then STOMP on the back brake while turning into the corner. Then when the back end starts sliding out, just let go of the back brake. Works every time!

·
Registered
14,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by migz123:

...You must try the bunny hop. Get the tree and jump it. The result is spectacular...to do moon!!
<hr></blockquote>

LOL! Maybe next weekend...Maybe I can just start using speed bumps or curves

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
...Just don't forget to tie your shoelaces to the footpegs...duct tape would do the job GOOOOOD...like dey say...if u can't duk it...f*k it....lolloll

·
Registered
26,441 Posts
Just look for sand on corners. This is the best time to practice. Only little spots of it, you only want to get a a good slide out of it. If you have time, just bring sand from the beach and put it on the ground.

Here's the process:
Go into the turn pretty fast, I'd say 30-40mph. Now rememeber this is just your everyday street corner. When you get your back tire right on the sand, goooose that mother hard. I'm talking wide open throttle. That should make the rear slip out real good. Now when you feel the rear tire grab, throw yourself over the bike. You should get a really nice and long highside.

I do that when I have nothing else to do.

·
Registered
14,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See, thats the trouble I am having! Sometimes I goose too hard and I just end up lowsiding, or just a little hop, not too much!
I think that somw water might be better

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Nah water is too slippery. It'll just force a lowside.

The key to a highside is control. Too much brake or too much throttle and you fall too fast, you need to light up the rear just enough to keep somewhat upright and off the ground. That's why sand and water are no good, it's too hard to stay up.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
If you're *really* desperate, just take the bushings outta your swingarm pivot, and remove the rear wheel bearings... that should pretty much garuntee a high side the first time you lean it over a bit, no water/sand req'd... `course, that'd only be for *learning* purposes... the goal should always be to improve one's self to the point where these mechanical aids aren't necessary for truly skilled stunt-riding like this.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by LitreGixxer:
Oh! Oh! Me! Me! OOOH OOH! I know the answer!!

I found this out accidentally trying to learn how to back it in.
<hr></blockquote>

You mean you can't back it in I do it all the time. The only bad thing your tire wearz out quicker.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts