Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you Have been talking about where to mount the ballast on our bikes. Well I took on a challange and bought a one pc ballast/ignighter setup. Most of you have bought the two pc system that makes it easier to mount in small places. Well I found a place to mount the Ballast, relay and all the wiring. It is snug as a bug in there but has plenty of room in there. I have no problems with the fairings or the forks getting in the way and all the wire is wrapped up well. I got a ballast out of an 2004 350Z. Same ballast is in the Infinity G35 also. I Machined a tray and a mount to hold the ballast and relay. Then I'm running a d2s 5000K bulb in it. Man! Very happy with the resulst! I do a lot of early morning driving when it is dark and it made a huge difference. The pics below show how it is mounted over the radiator. Enjoy!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Re: Hid install complete! Using a Matsushita ballast from a

Whoa nice!

·
Registered
538 Posts

i'm guessing you're using only the projector? that's how i'd do it...that cut off line is already VERY CLEAN.

GREAT JOB

·
Registered
505 Posts

Ya man, clean job. Two gripe though... Firstly, watch out for that relay! With the wires pulled to the side like that, they have a tendency to get yanked off the terminals. I know this happened to me once in the middle of the night and BOY was I in for a suprise riding down the road with only the H4 giving a little tiny bit of light!!! Next, ballasts tend to run hot as it is, and now you're placing yours RIGHT on top of the radiator. Might not be a good idea, especially with electrical tape there, it might melt as well. Radiators get pretty hot man! Other than that the install is pretty clean man, and I like how ya made a bracket to mount it there! Peace!!

·
Registered
505 Posts

Also, post up cutoff pics, eh?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thaks CrMo4130.

Yeah I know that the temp of the radiator was going to be a question. Ive had it there for about 2 wekks and it hasa never got hot. just warm even on the hot days we just had. I will have to keep an eye on the taped wires over the radiator though. So far ok. With the ballast up on th plate, it gives it air space between the ballast and the radiator. Also there in an air pocket inside the tray that holds the ballast too. So I hope to be ok. Time will tell eh! I will post up cut off lines soon. I'm re-machining the h7 adapter. The first one I made had way to much slop in it and didn't position the bulb center in the projector. Will post up picks in the next couple of weeks. Cheers!

·
Registered
505 Posts

Oh, making your own H7 adapters huh? I figured they wouldn't be too hard to make, I just purchased mine from HIDPlanet.com They were a little snug and I had to sand the center a little wider to get the bulb to go into it. After that I put a touch of super-glue to hold it in place on the bulb. Lookin' forward to seeing how your cutoff looks compared to mine!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

GOOD TIP ON THE SUPER GLUE! I will have to do that. By the hid planets adapters, how did they fit in the projector housing? Also is your bike an 04' or an 05'? Just curious if the projectors are the same or not.

·
Registered
360 Posts

I can't see any pictures
Might just be my computer. Do you have any links to pics?

I did a H7 and H4 kit in mine (8000k) and I mounted my ballasts and ignitors under the passenger seat. I had to extend the wires, but we have some pretty nice sheilded cable at my job that worked out nicely.

Here's a pic:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I don't know what happened to the pics's! My guess is that they got deleted by one of the mods around here.
Why, I don't know, but here are the pics again. Enjoy!

·
Registered
303 Posts

not really that bad.can you post up the some others.like a view on the bike lookin forward.

·
Registered
602 Posts

how's the heat from the radiator afffecting it?

how about the turn-2-turn lock. does it even get close to hitting the ballast?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

The heat is just warm. but not hot. Seems to still be ok. As far as clearance goes I have about 1.5" - 2.0" of clearance on the braided wire from the ballast to the bulb. When I turn to full lock left, the lower tripple clamp comes about .75" away from it. So clearance is good. Must be thought out though. Oh! and cantlooz, I will post up a few more pics tommorrow.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Ok here is a few more pics for you guys.
Close up of the cut off line

Full beam cut off line

Here is the color on the ballast start up

this is with the top H4 bulb on high beam

Shows the clearance with the sheilded wire from the ballast to the bulb.

here is full lock left

1 - 20 of 41 Posts