Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinkin about changing over my headlight to an HID system on my 04 750. But was talkin to one of my friends and he was sayin that the altanators on there bike aren't storng enough to support the inrcreased power output. Anybody change over or know about wats involved and if so wat Kind luck did U have wit it?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I also would like to do this.
I have tried to install a kit that i got from Xenon depot on my dodge ram but it wouldnt work correctly.
If it was directly plug and play i would def do it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
First off, here is some important information you might both like. I have installed 2 retrofit HID kits on my cars so far (93 Explorer & 04 Civic Si) and my '04 600 is next (the projector at least). What is important to note about HID Xenon kits:

1. They use LESS power than standard halogen bulbs. 35 watts continuous vs. 55-85watts for a normal halogen low or high bulb. So in the end your alternator will THANK you.
2. Just make sure you buy a plug and play kit, McCulloch makes a really nice retrofit "plug and play" kit (that is what I currently have in my 04 Civic a 6000k system). You can choose from a couple different color temps:
- 5000k = factory Mercedes, Audi, BMW blue/white
- 6000k = blue with a bit of white
- 8000k = freaking blue
- 9000k = blue almost purple
- 10000k = purple & shitty
3. The 5000k color temps give off the most lumens (brightest) of all of them, beyond that it just depends on the look you are going for. The benefit to Xenon is that they use 1/3 the power of halogen while giving off 3x the light. Very cool, I would never have a car/bike without it.

This eBay auction sells the McCulloch systems, I just bought a 5000k H7 for the projector on my 04 Gixxer 6. Normally they come in a kit of two, but since I only have 1 projector I emailed the seller and asked if I could just buy one and he said no problem. I paid $170 shipped which is a killer deal for just a single plug and play unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7950171972

Now I just have to figure out where to mount the ballast, igniter, and wiring... once done I will take a pic of the results and post it.

As for your Dodge Ram, what seemed to be the problem with the install? The ket is making sure you buy for the right bulb style. Good luck with it all!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I like the Brightstar system, which is plug and play. I ended up buying a car set up because a friend wanted the other H7 and he backed out. (Will sell for 170 shipped). The Brightstar system is fully sealed and has rubber seals at all of the connection points for the wires except the plug for the original headlight. It is a 6000k system and it is as bright as hell. The only problem is that it is hard to match the HID bulb with a regular H4 bulb. I had the best luck with a Piaa bulb. There are others out there but they look a bit yellow compared to the HID. I wouldn't put an HID in the reflector lamp for a couple reasons:
1. It may reflect light all over the place blinding other drivers and the projector has a cut off line to stop that from happening.
2. Cops. Wheere I am from the can say that blue bulbs can be impersonating a cop.
3. The high beam is haleogen anyway, why not save the wieht and trouble of finding a place to mount the balast.

If anyone has questions, you can email me at [email protected] or pm me.

Here is a link to the brightstar set up.
http://www.brightstar-hid.ca/35whidmckit.htm

·
Registered
117 Posts
Actually BMW and Audi claim their HID's are 4300k. Audi's HID's look more blue because of the projector housing. Projector housings can affect the color projected form the bulb. You will get maximum visibility from a bulb that projects the same color temperature of sunlight (because our eyes are made to see best in natural sunlight). Sunlight color temps can vary depending on where you are, weather, and time of day. Optimal color temp is 4300k - 5500k. Anything higher or lower you begin to lose visibility. Sunlight does reach up to 6000k, but only during overcast skies.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm in the process of doing a HID install on my '05. I hang out at HIDPlanet.com a lot, and everyone there praises retrofits. It's where you take an HID projector out of a car with stock HID's and replace the projector in your bike with it. That way you don't have to worry about kit's or any aftermarket stuff, its all OEM and factory, so you KNOW that you won't blind people, etc... Anyways, I didn't have enough cash to buy the projectors so what I'm doing is putting the D2S Phillips bulbs in the stock projector on the GSX-R and also using Matsushita Ballasts I got from eBay. Matsushita ballasts are good for bikes because the ballast and ignitor are seperate, so both components are smaller, and the ignitor stays near the bulb and the ballast can go in the battery tray or trunk... Thing is that unless you buy a crappy "kit" all the OEM bulbs have a D2S base, so you need to buy the adapters from HIDPlanet.com as well. They are made to fix on Valeo H7 projectors but the outside of the adapter can be shaved down to fit into the GSX-R projector. I'll let you guys know how it goes and looks once I get it all installed, still waiting on parts. The thing is, since our projectors aren't made for HID's, the output might wierd, but I'm trial and error'ing it for sake of saving money, and if its crappy I'll buy some OEM projectors and slap them in the GSX-R headlight 'cuz it won't be that hard. All in all I paid right at $200 for the bulbs/ballasts/adapters/and wire harness. This is for PAIR, for me and my g/f's '05's... Peace!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Oh, and forgot to mention color. OEM HID's are BRIGHT WHITE and the cutoff line is where the color is. The same as our stock projectors that have the line where the light stops. This line on HID projectors has the blue/purple color that you see in your rear view, that's because this cutoff line is flickering in your rearview, if the white light gets into your rearview it'll be bright white and most likely blind you a bit. That's why kit's put into a reflector (like our high beam's) is a BAD idea because the white light HID's produce is a hell of a lot brighter than the stock bulbs, and that light shining everywhere will blind people. And kit bulbs are usually high in kelvins (6000K, 10000K) and produce blue and/or purple light, which people are trying to achieve the looks of those stock HID systems that have the cutoff that has the color. So in turn their entire beam is one color, looks like crap, and doesn't light up the road well...

·
Registered
535 Posts
Most of this is true. Except for the fact that with our GSXR Projectors the "cut-off" line is specifically there to controll where the light is projected. It allows for easy adjustment vs. a reflector (like the top high/low on the GSXR) that throws light basically wherever it feels happy.

If you install any HID kit on your GSXR projector, yes... it is going to be brighter... a lot... that is the point. All you need to do is make sure your level is adjusted properly and you shouldn't bother anyone.

As for color, yes... most first model xenon equipped BMWs Audis Mercs used 4300k for their bulbs, but each year it changes slightly as they experiment. The most like actual sunlight (best luminace) is a color temp, like you said mainly between 4700k - 5300k. So a 5000k kit would work perfectly and give the best lumens output.

As for a 6000k system, you are starting to loose output quality and get a really BLUE hue (as I know... I have one on my 04 Civic Si). Anything above 6000k is just ridiculous unless you are trying to look like a Asian tuner with no knowledge of true performance. And in regards to cops (here in the US, not sure about Canada), if you use a 5000k system you will appear as an Audi does in the rear-view. A tiny tiny shade of blue with a nice pure crisp white.

If they pull you over explaining you can't have a blue headlight, or a colored light for that matter... they are usually looking for the cheap ($35) painted glass halogens (non DOT approved) that stupid high school kids (and older morons) are puting in their cars to imitate HID but do a HORRIBLE job. Nothing pisses me off more than those things, because they are just bulbs... stupid painted blue halogen bulbs. Then you just explain to the cop that your bulbs are not painted, they are actually clear... it's the TRUE xenon gas that gives them the color. After that, if he isn't an absolute dick he will leave you be. (Happened to me with my Civic many times).

The reason there is a color appearance when the cut-off hits your eyes is because the light refraction at that point is skewed because they literally slice a small groove in the projector to eliminate light output at that point. So you just get a fun mix of light... that is why sometimes you will get a purple color or blue or I've seen a weird yellow/green mix before... but the actual light projected will still be white with a hint of blue if you have the balls to look it straight on.

·
Registered
197 Posts
With my Ram, everything was mounted and hooked up correctly. When I turned the headlights on, that ballasts would click, as if they were attempting to turn on. The very first time i saw some light come out of my headlights, they wouldnt stay on.Fuses were fine. I checked all the connections countless times, everything was right. On top of the neverending lamp out chime in my dash, I wasnt about to modify a $500 kit so it would work. I sent it back. Thats y im sketchy of these kits, but man these headlights suck on the stock gixxers, even with the PIAA bulbs. Anyone have any websites or recomendations, and did you do anything to modify the kit so it would work

·
Registered
535 Posts
Go to www.brightlights-hid.com and check them out. They have Phillips/Hella Kits which are the best on the market (best made ballasts and bulbs). If you want a cheaper price but good quality go with McCulloch (found on eBay). I have a set in my car and they are great!

I don't know what you are all talking about, but most kits ARE plug and play. All you have to do is plug your existing wiring connector into the one that leads to the ballast of the HID kit and you are set. Just mount everything and put the bulb in the socket and away you go. Assuming you get the correct bulb (H4, H7, 9004, 9006 etc).

I just installed a McCulloch 5000k HID kit on my 04 GSXR 600 in the projector and it works great. No wire cutting or anything. Again, not sure what you are all talking about. The bulb style is H4 for the projector on the 04-05 GSXR 600/700s.

Good luck all. I will post some pics of my job once I get my camera back!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Do a search, I posted up pics and instructions on how to build a relay harness which you will need after I did mine on my 04 600. I have 8000k bulbs, work great, havent had any problems at all.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Actually I dont think you can search that far back. go to hidplanet.com for sure. here are some pics of my conversion, arent very good. top is H4 hi/low 8000k, bottom is H7 8000k. paid like 255 shipped for my kit. Took about 8 hours to install. I didnt want to retro, dont have the time or patience to do that right now.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bwoodw02

·
Registered
535 Posts
Nice job on your work. Yeah, retro kits are useless. If you just buy a nice plug and play on ebay you will be set. That is what I did and I love it... took no time at all to install.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts