Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi Guys....I recently joined this forum and posted the following msg in the newbie forum...I was advised to ask the questions here......

Hi Dudes Newbie Here

Hi Dudes.....Im new to this forum...Ive just sold me Yam FZR1000 (89) and bought a mint and I mean mint GSXR750 wp (94) 13000 miles full dealer service etc etc.

I have a couple of questions and I wondered if any of you guys could help out?

The bike IS mint except for two things...

1...The downpipes are a bit knacked and rusty with a small hole near the collector box...are stainless ones available for this bike and if so where do I get em?
2...The bike only seems to get about 25miles to the gallon when ridden fairly gentle!..I noticed that these gixxers have mikuni 38m bdst carbs...my FZR had similar carbs fitted and the needle jets (enulsion tubes to some) used to wear like hell on the Fizzer and cause poor fuel economy and poor performance.I just wondered if the GSXR suffered from the same problem.Performance is good and the bike pulls cleanly through all the rev renge but there is a substantial soot build up around the end of the can.

Any advice is really appreciated......thanks

Anyone any ideas......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,
I'm returning 40-45 to the gallon moderately riding. The carbs do suffer from the dreaded emulsion tube wear, but you normally get a missing at about 4,000 rpm. A dynojet kit does the trick and also gives a useful mid range boost.
Regards

·
Has been Texan longer than the cheerleader
26,430 Posts
Welcome aboard!!

Supertrapp makes a stainless header for the bike still.... They can be had on Ebay pretty cheaply. Yoshimura's stainless systems are nice (I have two) but are only available second hand.....

I get between 36-38 MPG..... but then again I ride alot of highway miles at a fairly brisk pace.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Welcome.

Look into getting a jet kit. You should be averaging close to 40 mpg's with your bike. Ebay is your best friend for parts. It's getting hard to find a few parts, but most are still available. Good luck with your bike and ride safe.

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hi Guys...Thanks for the info.....As for the carbs yeah ure right...On my FZR it suffered from a 3-4000rpm flat spot,starting problems and really crappy miles to the gal.I bought a set of factory pro emulsion tubes and after fitting it ran great.The synptoms with me gixxer is just running rich and poor petrol milage...no flat spot just yet but I guess that will develop with time.I think I will do the jet kit on these as well.I just wanted to confirm that it might be the case because of the same carbs as me fzr..etc

As for the pipes...there is a set of Yoshi on ebay but they are for a 750 SRAD are these the same...I thought not but then again I dont know Gixxers that well!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The SRAD is the 96 bikes and up. sorry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts