Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am a kiwi (New Zealander) and have just purchased a 1987 GSXR 1100.
Super excited as in my younger years I had a 1990 GSX-R 1100 and loved it, but secretly coveted the slab sided earlier versions.

Looking to ride it for 2 years and then make it a project bike and do it up.
This will be a first and very keen not to screw it up.

I have read a few threads and as a starter looking to do the following:
- Yoshi 4 in to 1 aftermarket pipe (Titanium)
- K&N filter in the standard air box - Not 100% on this considering removing the airbox and use dual K&N pods? Read lots of comments about flattened mid range and I definatley dont want that.
- Stage 3 Dynajet kit
- Replace std battery with a lightweight one - any recommendations?

Had an interesting experience here and went to a Suzuki service centre to ask about servicing the engine - They loved I had a classic but said no they dont touch bike earlier than 2000 !!! WTF???

Would appreciate any tips and suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,619 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
You have a very nice '87, it's rare to still see one with the factory exhaust and turn signals.

For a street bike, I'd recommend leaving the air box in place, another rarity. You can find an aftermarket element, or stick with OEM.

Servicing is pretty straight forward...threaded rocker adjusters make it so easy, no shims to fuss with.
There are generations now, that know nothing other than a world with EFI. So you might have to find a shop that caters to older machines. If you're willing to jump in yourself, there's a lot of experience and talent on this site, to help guide you through the process.

If you get your Red R, you will have access to the classifieds here. It really is a global community of oil cooled enthusiasts.

Cheers,
Scott

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
welcome. you possess a very nice, and original first gen gsxr, which is rare. my advice is to keep it stock/original and replace the battery with a Lithium type. Li batteries are well worth the extra money, for the benefits of longer battery life, no acid spills, light-weight, and longer dis-charge intervals. i'm super happy with my Li battery in my first gens.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome.

It has 32 000 kms on the clock and appears genuine. Engine sounds great, is smooth and not knocky.
I have the had some parts arrive so will do some work soon.

- Yoshi exhaust
- K&N filter for std airbox
- Stage 3 dynajet kit

I am looking for a drop in LI battery. Found one but international shipping an issue as the airlines dont like them in cargo.
Have found others but they are to wide for the std battery basket 140mm +

The rebuild will take some work and Id like to ride the bike for awhile. Usually do the Brass Monkey Rally here in NZ its mid winter and bloody cold but amazing riding - Brass Monkey Rally
Last year rally site was -11 deg C (12 deg F). Area was frozen like Narnia

Will need some guidance on how to restore frame and getting a full repaint with new decals

1 - 8 of 8 Posts