Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • I first had a problem with the bike just cutting out but this turned out to be related to the HID headlights that were installed. Dodgy connection. Now I find when I start the bike sometimes it will not idle. Sometimes I start it and it goes to 2000 rpm and slowly comes down but other time I have to maintain the revs with the throttle until it is warm then it holds the idle. I’m in the proces of trying to locate the issue when I stumbled across this chip plunged inline to the speed pick up. See attachment. Does anyone know what it is and could it be a contributing factor? I don’t believe so but I can’t be positive. Any help would be great.
    8B4491EB-D90B-4026-BB19-E598D480C499.jpeg
    36AD643F-5755-45CF-8BD2-E6FA20EEE5A6.jpeg
    DB5FD27F-779D-4368-B1A0-AE1C7EA67E6A.jpeg
    8B4491EB-D90B-4026-BB19-E598D480C499.jpeg
    DB5FD27F-779D-4368-B1A0-AE1C7EA67E6A.jpeg

·
Just call me Colonel Angus
130 Posts
Looks like a speedo healer chip to correct odometer readouts after a sprocket gearing change. Probably unrelated to the idle problem, are you getting any FI codes on the cluster?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a speedo healer chip to correct odometer readouts after a sprocket gearing change. Probably unrelated to the idle problem, are you getting any FI codes on the cluster?
No codes but I did find the choke stop was not contacting throttle stop so I have adjusted it to contact and it seems to have done the trick. Will need to test again once bike is completely cold.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Looks like a Speed DRD. When programmed properly, it will correct you speedo .
With or WITHOUT gearing changes.

Even the stock/OEM speedo are notorious for reading high- on purpose apparently.
As is, you're doing 77mph on the speedo- it can actually be 70mph real speed.

You can find online how to adjust it if needed.

Run a speedo app on your smart phone and see if the speedo if off.
Then adjust it per the online instructions.

I have one on my bike, and re-cjeckled it again with my phone's speedo app on the mount going to work this morning.
I'ts w/in 0.5 mph

·
130 Posts
Even the stock/OEM speedo are notorious for reading high- on purpose apparently.
As is, you're doing 77mph on the speedo- it can actually be 70mph real speed.
I have heard this too. Something about regulations saying the indicated speed cannot be greater than the actual speed, so the mfgr's err on the safe side & make them read slower, somewhere in the up to 10% range. Thanks for the tips on correcting it, may look into it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It's the other way around, the indicated speed can't be lower than the actual speed, therefore the speedo will read higher. If the speedometer was reading slower than the actual speed you could sue the manufacturer if you got a speeding ticket. In many cases the odometer will be dead on while the speedo is reading higher, if you use a speedohealer to get the correct speed on the speedometer the odometer will be off.

·
130 Posts
It's the other way around, the indicated speed can't be lower than the actual speed, therefore the speedo will read higher. If the speedometer was reading slower than the actual speed you could sue the manufacturer if you got a speeding ticket. In many cases the odometer will be dead on while the speedo is reading higher, if you use a speedohealer to get the correct speed on the speedometer the odometer will be off.
You are correct of course. I should wake up before writing anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts