hey, Phreakintheroom...

995 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  KJ1 
#1 ·
you wnated I deas here are some off the top of my head,
base bike '87 GSXR 750
option 1: leave it old skool, and completely restore it, boring I think
or
option 2: complete overhaul
Rear supension: have stock arm braced and welded or used 1995 GSXR 750 arm and bits(run itnot some problems with the gneration gap, talk to Doug Flett from port moody) orgohereforwelding
front: new forks pick a year gixxer 91-up
wheels: 17 in off a 1995 gsxr 750 or depending on the forks, possible 2001 gsxr 1000 etc.
Air tech tornado tank(pricey but light as hell
body workSharkskinz
Newer Gix body would look good, RGV 250 body might fit, lots of options, F4i race body would look cool or try AirTech but I have heard mixed reviews, they have numerous cool kits, and can make them in CarbonFiber
update the carbs to 36mm CV or 38mm CV's nice Hindle pipe etc,
go with a Fox or Ohlins shock
attack clip-ons
I can make you custom rear sets(starting on mine next week)
use late model brakes
additional oil cooler
there are lots of thins to do it just takes time and money
-Karl

See less See more
#2 ·
I like option 2. I am in the process of doing some of that right now. I heard that the fiberglass tank from airtech is basically made for race, if you keep fuel in it over a long period of time it will leak.
So KJ1 what do thoes custom rearsets look like?
I might be interested if you're selling.

So phreakintheroom where is Berea, KY? I am orginally from Covington, still have family there.

#3 ·
I haven't actually made them yet, I have sketched them though, basically I am trying to model the from Attack rear sets the basic purpose is going to be on my bike to raise the pegs.5 in and reduce wieght. I basically plan to start with a piece of sheet stock alminum about .5 to .75 in thick anc cut out the design and drill the mounting holes, then either polish or powder coat them I can post some pics of the drawings later.
-Karl

#5 ·
Hey thanks kj1 those sound like some hella good ideas! i've been thinking about having whatever plastics I do get not have the headlight hole cut in them so i can leave the stock dual-round lights, I like them better.

as for forks/swingarm: is there really all that much difference? I mean I know the 1000 forks are stiffer, but that's really just a matter of fork oil, isn't it? what are the real benefits from this?

definitely want to do the 17" wheel swap though. I think it's rediculous that 18" wheels cost almost $50 more than 17"...

Okay and time for a really stupid squid question: what are rear-sets? I keep hearing about em, I know they have something to do with the shifter/rear brake levers, and by the name I imagine they "set them more to the rear" or something...

phreak=dumbass

-phreak

#6 ·
OOOHHH just followed your link and those boxed-in black powdercoated swingarms look fuckin AWESOME I'm definitely going to have to get that done!

-phreak

#8 ·
Graves Motorsorts suck bloody wet and maggot filled asshole
or at least their fairng brackets do, I haven't even got a response from customer service, I have spokn to the people over at GPTech though, sharkskinz refered me nd they are cool people.
-I will get those drawings up sometime soon
-Karl

#9 ·
The benifits of a newer fork are numerous, weight savings, enhanced feel, with the 1000 forks they are shorter, yes they are stiffer, TIN coated for less stiction,more stability than my old forks. The USD forks are more substantial up top as the slider goes down and envelops the bottom half of the fork adding stability, etc. where the RSUforks are narrow and are more likely to flex. and they look good. As far as the a stiffer swing arm, that is my preference, as a chassis that squirms under power is no good, and I like the braced look
-Karl

#11 ·
Thanks for the fork info, man. So, just how hard is it to put new forks on one of these bad boys? Looking at my 1100 (don't got the '87 yet still waitin on rayder to send me my money!) it looks like there's a lot of shit involved in this...

Think I might go with the Aprilla Mille bodywork...is there a huge frame size difference between the 750 and the mille?

No matter what, I'm gonna get one of those swingarms...those look tight as hell...

-phreak

#12 ·
The RSV and GSXR are completley difernt designs but, if you go with race body work, then you should be okay, he race body comes with no mounting holes, so you just have to line it up and drill your holes, but it might be a problem to do the RSV-GSXR transfer I am pretty sure you won't be adble to use your stock headlight.
-Karl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.