Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just the forks, or the entire 1k front end?

i don't think there should be too much of a problem fitting the forks into the current triple clamps (only thing you'd need to confirm is the diameter.....the 1000's is something like 52 or 54mm), but it's getting your existing wheel to bolt up to the 1k's forks that might be a bit tricky.....axle diameters are a bit larger on the newer bikes, and you'll probably need to play with spacers. and keep in mind that on the newer bikes the rotor diameter is 320mm whereas on your bike it's 310mm....

on the other hand, if you could plop the whole 1k front end (triple clamp, wheels, brakes, and all) on, it would make things a lot easier. but then again, the triple clamps might not simply drop in....

sorry i couldn't give any really solid info.

i think there's somebody here (forgot who, though) who has an entire srad front end on his older gsxr....if so, he may be able to give better advice.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Yeah, I'd looked into it for the RG. I've got a 96 triple that I was going to use. The fork legs (the Showa ones anyway) are all the same clamp diameter on the 750's and now on the Thou's. The bitch of it is the upper bearing on the triple. The lower bearing on all gixxers are the same. The upper varies after 95 because Suzuki switched from a steel steer tube to an aluminum steer tube. I have all the dimensions recorded at home if you really need them, I'm at work right now. The bearings are roller bearings at roughly 45 degrees to the axis of the steer tube. The only bearing that had the same outer diameter as the pre96's and the same inner diameter as the 96's and newers is a roller bearing at 90 degrees to the axis of the steer. The load bearing ability of the bearings is where I begin to ask myself the question..."what if it seizes while I'm on it?" I bought the bearing that will fit and will allow a 96 and newer triple to fit in a pre96 frame, and I'll get around to using it too, just not on my RG.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Yeah, I want to do the whole front end, but as bcklrcr, states there might be baring problems, I need some more solid info, now ho did the srad swap???
Karl

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I have the crazy idea of putting 2k1 gsxr 1000 forks on my 92 1127 project, how much work is this going to be, oh I am goint to have the motor out of the frame for storage over the winter etc.. so the bike will be apart, and i am getting a new scaner soon, so I can finally share some more pics with everybody
thanks, Karl

·
Registered
434 Posts
I put a 97 front end on my 86 and here is what I found. The 97 uses axial ball bearings instead of tapered roller bearings. On the 97 and I would assume all simmilar ones the top bearing and the bottom bearing are the same od and id the bottom bearing od is the same dia as the 86 lower tapered bearing the problem is the upper tapered bearing is a lot smaller. Here's what I did is made a new stem shaft to press into the 97 lower triple clamp that is the same as the earlier style originally thought the 86 shaft would press into the lower triple clamp but after I took it apart the shaft was about 5thou too small so it was not tight in the lower triple clamp. Then made a spacer washer to take up the diff between the top of the new shaft and the upper late model triple clamp. Also the smaller tapered ball bearing has a higher load capacity than the axial ball bearing so dont worry about the load capabilities of this conversion. You will also have to play with the dust seals a bit. As to the brake problem the later style have 320 discs where as the earlier ones are 310, but Suzuki never made dished 320 brake rotors there's are all flat and the problem is with this wheel and brake combo there is no room for the speedo drive box, no problem if you have an electronic speedo or want to go to a bicycle speedo. If you want to keep your stock gauges the solution is to use a Kawaski wheel and brake rotors with the kawasaki speedo drive box it is the same ratio as the earlier gsxr and the axle dia are the same. You will have to change the end of the speedo cable to fit, just use pliers and change just the ferule. Also the kawa rotor is 5mm instead of the 4.5mm of the gsxr but they work awesome and fit just fine. The above is the capsule version there is a little bit of machining or grinding of the bottom of the fork leg on the speedo side and the speedo box itself to line everything up exactly in the middle but nothing too difficult. Hope this helps. Doug

·
Registered
547 Posts
Your local bearing supplier will be able to supply stats on the bearings...just get the numbers off them & give them a call.....I think you'll find either one can take enough load to snap the front of your bike off.I would change the steering shaft to your old one in the new clamps...It's not hard to get spacers made to take up any diffs.Ididn't get if the old shaft is bigger or smaller?If its bigger,no probs just machine the 5 thou off the shaft...its bugger all & shouldn't affect strength much...If it's smaller you will probably have to bore the lower clamp a bit to get a thick enough spacer.Same up top if it doesn't fit .I put a FZR front in my old turbo & nothing was the same size but using this method it's in there & works fine.If you decide to use the new shaft you can adapt bearing sizes the same way.....just check bearing positioning on the shaft first,they may be further apart or closer together.....you will probably need heavier springs too.....good luck,should be a good conversion !

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Okay guys, here is my solution to the fork problem 91-92GSXR 1127 had 52mm forks, 91-92 GSXR 750 41mm inverted, So I get the 43mm 1000 forks, wheel, etc, and take the tripple tree from a 91-92 GSXR 750, take the tree over to this machinist I know and have the 2mm machined out, would this work?
Karl

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hold on there speedy, the old 1100 didn't have 52mm forks. Its outer tubes diameter at the clip-ons may have been that, but its forks where either 41 or 43 mm (refers to the slider diameter). I know the 750 and 1100 used different seals and if I recall right the 11 did have 2mm bigger tubes than the 750.

If the outer tubes are the same, you can use the 1100 triples.

Just check the stem heights. You may be able to get away with using the triple from the 1000 with the right bearings, but check the fork offset. The old 11's had alot of offset and I think the 1000 has less.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Listen To Harpee, We (at least me anyway) have been refering to the outer diameter of the fork where the triple clamp holds. Earlier I said the Showas were all the same diameter, I think all the 1100's used Kayaba forks which have a larger clamp diameter at the triple.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Yeah, they are a larger diameter at the top clamp where the clip-ons go, I double checked after my intial enthusiasm wore off, hmmm we will see with what parts I end up with
Karl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts