Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first i wana say this is a sick site, it's helped me in deciding to purchase my new 05' gixxer 600...ive been riding for like a week now and i have some pretty stupid questions maybee someone would be so gracious to answer...thx

1. ive noticed that using my back brakes makes the tire swerve out a lot...when u r going high speeds do u use the back breaks at all to stop quickly???

2. just took my bike to the twisties, and i was wonderin if any1 had any good techniques at tackling turns at high speeds...iono as far as entrance and following through the turns.

and 3. since i took my bike through the twisties i now have the experience of getting beemed by flying bugs all over the place...any1 suggest any special stuff for cleaning bikes, and do u wax bikes??

thx =))

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
first i wana say this is a sick site, it's helped me in deciding to purchase my new 05' gixxer 600...ive been riding for like a week now and i have some pretty stupid questions maybee someone would be so gracious to answer...thx

1. ive noticed that using my back brakes makes the tire swerve out a lot...when u r going high speeds do u use the back breaks at all to stop quickly???

2. just took my bike to the twisties, and i was wonderin if any1 had any good techniques at tackling turns at high speeds...iono as far as entrance and following through the turns.

and 3. since i took my bike through the twisties i now have the experience of getting beemed by flying bugs all over the place...any1 suggest any special stuff for cleaning bikes, and do u wax bikes??

thx =))
To answer your ?'s in order...

1...Leave the rear brake alone...the front brakes are 99% of your stopping power..only use the rear when your almost stopped to get stopped a tad quicker.

2..Get, and READ Keith Code's Twist of The Wrist I and II he covers all you'll need to know, and then some.

3...Plexus...cleans , polishes, even takes out the small swirl scratches..

Finally, let me add this...I'm guessing that your a newer rider...cuzz experienced riders know not to use the rear brake....my best advice to you is this...Slow Down...I believe your putting yourself at risk...Learn how to Properly ride, then up the pace...I Don't advocate "spirited street riding...any high speed riding should be done at a track, where it's MUCH SAFER..

Please don't take this as a knock...but rather as friendly advice..

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
350 Posts
also, look into taking a motorcycle safety course. MSF is your best bet. get good gear if you don't already have it and be safe. congrats on your new bike

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
also, look into taking a motorcycle safety course. MSF is your best bet. get good gear if you don't already have it and be safe. congrats on your new bike
Good point...I just assumed he was gonna take it....

·
Registered
5,694 Posts

first i wana say this is a sick site, it's helped me in deciding to purchase my new 05' gixxer 600...
First of all, if this ISN'T a troll, let me comment by saying in no WAY did this site HELP you in deciding to purchase a new '05 600R... If you actually READ the site, the posts in here, and the stickies, you would have went for something better... BETTER being 1) USED!!!! 2) NON-R....

Some guys will recommend you don't use the rear brakes at all.... And while hammer is correct in that they provide MOST of your braking power, it's actually more like 80% of the stopping capability of the bike in most circumstances (assuming the rear is on the ground, your throwing your weight back, etc...) The rear brake does help to stop the bike, BUT, on a sport bike, much like the front brakes, it MUST be finessed gently... It's something you HAVE to develop a feel for. If your locking up the rear brake that bad when your only using it, keep in mind it's going to be 10 times more prone to locking up when your actually braking correctly (mostly with the front brake) because most of the weight will be transfered forward and on the front tire. Now before you decide to go out and try any more "practice" please make sure you read on first...

Yes, there most certainly is a correct way to handle turns... Wide entrance, late turn in point, late apex, etc... However... The LAST! friggin thing you need to worry about right now is HIGH SPEED TURNS! You can't even brake in a straight line at this point... What do you think is gonna happen to you the first time you come around a corner, the bike is leaned over, and you need to stop suddenly for the car, kid, racoon, deer, pothole, etc.... that appears in your path?

and 3. since i took my bike through the twisties i now have the experience of getting beemed by flying bugs all over the place...any1 suggest any special stuff for cleaning bikes, and do wax bikes??
Yes, I wax mine about twice a season... In between I use Honda Polish, or plexus or any of the others that were mentioned work fine as well... I've even heard of people using Lemon Pledge and being very happy with it...

Now... Here's the important part.... You've already fucked up by buying a bike you absolutely have no freaking business being on.... While everyone is probably gonna tell you you need to get rid of the thing and buy something else, you and I both know there's not a chance in hell your gonna do it. I won't even go into that. Considering that though, if you want to live through the next couple of months, I suggest you read the following VERY carefully, and FOLLOW it to the T... As pointed out in another thread, you might think I'm an asshole, and I don't care if you do, but I'm only doing this because believe it or not, I really do care if you live or die.
#1) FIRST AND FOREMOST BEFORE ANYTHING, Sign up for the MSF course. It'll take a while to get in a class most likely, so SIGN UP NOW...
#2) BEFORE you even THINK about getting on that bike again, either go to a book store or amazon or whatever and get/order TOTAL CONTROL by Lee Parks... Twist of the Wrist is good too, but it would probably work better as a follow up to Total Control... There is also Sportbike Techniques, but that will be better later down the road as well... START with Total Control... It's very easy to understand and MORE IMPORTANTLY has some "parking lot" excercises in it... READ IT FIRST ALL THE WAY THROUGH.... Then go back and REVIEW it section by section while practicing what it has taught you....
#3) DO NOT! get back on the road with this bike yet... It's hard enough avoiding the crazy ass cagers when you DO have full control of the bike, let alone when you don't... Find a big parking lot VERY close by (somewhere you can get to without getting into traffic). Once again you may think I'm an asshole, but get familer with this parking lot because your going to be spending probably at LEAST the next month there.
#4) PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE your BRAKING!!! There is a HELL of a lot more to braking on a bike than just hitting the freaking controls... The front brake must be GENTLY applied while allowing the weight to transfer forward, which increases your front contact path. If you do it too quickly you'll either bottom out the front forks, which if it's good pavement will result in throwing up and over the front of the bike with the bike landing on top of you. If you grab them WAY to quickly it can also lock up the front before any weight even has a chance to transfer forward, which will probably result in the front end washing out and tossing you and the bike to the ground. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE... You can NEVER get too much practice braking... I've been riding well over 7 years now and I STILL go out probably once every month or every other month to PRACTICE BRAKING!!! Not only will the practice make you BETTER at stopping the bike, but it will also get you aquianted with HOW FAR it takes the bike to stop at a given speed.... Which leads to RULE #2 of Sportbikes... (see rule #1 below) NEVER NEVER EVER! Ride FASTER the your visibility... In other words... If it takes you 100ft to stop from 70MPH, and you can only see 100ft ahead of you, NEVER ride faster than 70... If your going around a blind corner and can only see 20ft, you'd better make DAMN sure your going LESS than the speed you can safely stop from in 20ft...
#5) AFTER you've practiced braking in a straight line, now it's time for turns... Again refer to the section in Total Control that deals with turning the bike. Set up some cones or better yet just take some chalk and mark the parking lot.... Start practicing your turning... (and yes, Total control will go over all the fine points of the CORRECT way to corner).... Another great thing to do that I was reminded of about the MSF course... Take a friend along one day (NOT ON YOUR BIKE!!!) and set up a "lane" with two diverging sharp corners... one going left, one going right... Approach the "corners" and at the last moment (but in a safe distance of course) have your friend CALL a direction... (i.e. LEFT or RIGHT)... The YOU have to take that direction.... You'll be AMAZED at how often you "freeze up" or try to turn one way but end up turning the other and fighting yourself at first.... PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.... Again, if you can't control the bike, you can't avoid things that can kill you.
#6) Now that you've got LOTS of parking lot practice in, and HOPEFULLY you've had your MSF course by now, your ready to start migrating into traffic... Be very careful out there and remember everything you learned in the MSF... Most likely it WILL save your life one day....

Last but not least.... RULE #1 of Sportbikes.... WEAR YOUR GOD DAMNED GEAR!!! Go look through the pics/vids section at some of the carnage... Go do a google search for "road rash" etc... Look at that shit! Do you want that to be you? Hopefully not.... And remember... Those pics your seeing??? Those are the REAL LUCKY son's of a bitches that actually managed to LIVE... Your not seeing the pics of the guys with their brains splattered all over the highway... Helmet, Jacket, at LEAST JEANS, preferably riding pants, boots, and gloves... Or if your thinking about doing some track days (which will be a freaking BLAST once you get more control of your bike), then look into a one-piece or two-piece track suit...

PLEASE take this advice to heart.... It's for your own good like it or not. Riding a sportbike is an experience like no other in the world...
Don't make it your last...

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
To answer your ?'s in order...

1...Leave the rear brake alone...the front brakes are 99% of your stopping power..only use the rear when your almost stopped to get stopped a tad quicker.

2..Get, and READ Keith Code's Twist of The Wrist I and II he covers all you'll need to know, and then some.

3...Plexus...cleans , polishes, even takes out the small swirl scratches..

Finally, let me add this...I'm guessing that your a newer rider...cuzz experienced riders know not to use the rear brake....my best advice to you is this...Slow Down...I believe your putting yourself at risk...Learn how to Properly ride, then up the pace...I Don't advocate "spirited street riding...any high speed riding should be done at a track, where it's MUCH SAFER..

Please don't take this as a knock...but rather as friendly advice..

Ride Safe.
+ 1,000,000 to the Hammer.

Take it easy. Speed comes from experience.

·
Registered
223 Posts
first i wana say this is a sick site, it's helped me in deciding to purchase my new 05' gixxer 600...ive been riding for like a week now
trust me if i knew about this site and read the things that i read AFTER i purchased my gixxer 750

i would not own it,these guys who have been riding years know way more than"my let me get a 750 because its the middle of the R bikes"so i thought cant be that bad

well after riding it a day and a few.....ill still say its a sick bike and mad repect for that,but me being me i decide to ride it out and learn it for a couple of months or more

well since you got a brand new bike just be safe on it and never ride or practice alone,well i dont,just because you never know what can happen

hate to sound like *** for being a newbie and all
but i just wouldnt like to see some one get hurt or killed being stupid on such a powerful bike
speed and stupidty kills, bikes dont

have fun and ride safe

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
Sorry, the front brakes do provide more than 80% of the stopping power...can't recall where I read the stat...but 80% is low.

Anyway...I think the poster gets a good idea of what to expect..lots of good info for him..

That is all...............carry on..

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Sorry, the front brakes do provide more than 80% of the stopping power...can't recall where I read the stat...but 80% is low.
Yep, closer to 100% - if you're braking as hard as you can on the front, the rear is off the ground - and you can get it to do that with one or two fingers on a modern sport bike...

Not using the rear and thus not locking it up = keeping it rotating helps maintain balance due to the gyroscopic force in it...

·
Registered
637 Posts
according to the MSF course it is about 80%, but keep in mind the MSF is not tailored for riding at higher speeds and closer to the limit, rather riding slower and leaving a lot in reserve.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I'm speechless.....

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hmmm...I"ve remember reading that 100% of the bike stopping can be done with the front brake alone, I believe this was addressed by KC, and a number of older and more experienced riders. The only time I use my rear brake is on occasion coming to stop lights, sometimes braking while going downhill, and sometimes when I skid to the side for shits. Other then that ....that's about it.

Technically speaking, the bike should stop faster using both front and rear, and although using the rear can help to negate the foward shifting of weight, if you brake hard enough, your rear won't be touching the ground anyway.

Something else I noticed about a statement someone said...(R.U. serious)

"...Being on a bike you have no business being on...".

That's the most egotistical and cocky statements one can make. Consider that most people on here started on a sportbike, and some people on here possess a higher degree of learning and adaptability then YOU. Although I agree that the beginning biker should have experience on a smaller cc'd bike, you have no authority and no knowledge to tell someone what they should be on and what they shouldn't. You can merely suggest using data from past demographics of the mass motorcycling community.

**and to the person who started the thread...

Just take it easy. Riding on the street too fast too soon (or too fast in general) will get you hurt real quick. Listen to what these guys are saying even if it does sound dickish at times. Get a couple of sportriding books (Twist of the wrist 1 and 2, sportriding techniques, etc.) and take things slowly. There is no substitute for time on the seat. The more you do it the easier things will be, even when you don't constantly push the envelope.

·
Sirijus Indelxsjul Diskushuns Onley
5,102 Posts
Although it's definitely not recommended, I bought a brand new 2000 gixxer 600 as my first bike having never ridden one before. First of all, you need to stay away from any twisties untill you actually learn how to ride the bike safely. Some people have been riding for years and still have no idea how to control a bike through a good set of twisties. And second, if you ever get your rear tire loose, just remember to keep your front tire straight. They'll probably tell you or show you that in the MSF class. Every person on this site was a first time rider at one point so listen to what they have to say. Don't take any advise the wrong way. Good Luck and Ride Safe. BTW, I hope you got some good riding gear. ALWAYS WEAR IT!!!!!

·
Registered
5,694 Posts

Anyway...I think the poster gets a good idea of what to expect..lots of good info for him..

No, your absolutely correct, IF your pushing the front tire to the limit (maximum braking) it will be providing 100% of your braking... This because obviously at maximum braking the rear is completely off the ground... When I said 80%, what I'm refering to is during NORMAL braking... In those conditions I'd say it provides about 80% of the stopping power (provided you use it, and keep the rear on the ground)....
On other thing I didn't mention in the original post, it's also good to use for stability when your going slower (coming to a stop at a stop light, etc..) Once you get slowed down to a crawl, start using the rear instead of the front, much easier to maintain balance at a "snails pace"...

·
Registered
16,168 Posts

No, your absolutely correct, IF your pushing the front tire to the limit (maximum braking) it will be providing 100% of your braking... This because obviously at maximum braking the rear is completely off the ground... When I said 80%, what I'm refering to is during NORMAL braking... In those conditions I'd say it provides about 80% of the stopping power (provided you use it, and keep the rear on the ground)....
On other thing I didn't mention in the original post, it's also good to use for stability when your going slower (coming to a stop at a stop light, etc..) Once you get slowed down to a crawl, start using the rear instead of the front, much easier to maintain balance at a "snails pace"...
That I agree with...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts