Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a mechanic but I can do things like change my own oil, spark plugs, brake pads, and so on. I recently noticed my brakes were not biting as much as they use to. I have a 2006 GSXR 750 with a Brembo RCS 19 MC with Galfer SS lines and stock calipers. I watched a couple of YouTube vids on how to clean your calipers before I attempted it and when I took them off, I noticed that on both sides there were pistons that were not fully engaging. So I watched a couple of more videos on how to rebuild your calipers and even wrote down step by step so I wouldn't screw it up. After not being able to fix the first caliper (the larger piston would freeze inside and not come out) I ordered another used one. I went to rebuild that one and the same F'ing thing happened again. The larger pistons would freeze inside the caliper even though I made sure to coat the piston and the inside, including the seals thoroughly with brake fluid. I've given up trying to fix these things and now am looking at buying calipers. At first, I was just going to buy Brembo M4s but after doing a little research I found that a lot of people have had success with R6 calipers. My question is, what year R6 calipers are we talking about? Also, would I need new mounting bolts and banjo bolts? What about spacers? If somebody could please help me it would be greatly appreciated. If I had any hair I'd have pulled all of it out by now out of frustration, lol. Thank you in advance.

·
That’s Mister Moderator To You ....
7,951 Posts
Or you could sort-out why you're not having any luck simply rebuilding the current ones? Unless you have lots of money to throw at it, then have at it.

Wish I could help but I've never had sticky pistons. You'll get advice on either direction before long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or you could sort-out why you're not having any luck simply rebuilding the current ones? Unless you have lots of money to throw at it, then have at it.

Wish I could help but I've never had sticky pistons. You'll get advice on either direction before long.
I'm done with the stock calipers. I'd rather throw money and something that is already in working order than spend another dime on trying to fix those things.

·
Registered
835 Posts
How did you check for 'sticky pistons'?

Because if you simply took off the caliper and checked by squeezing the brake handle....
You just found out that pressure will look for the path of least resistance
One or more will move, but the chance that all 4 pistons have equal resistance is very small

Block all pistons except one, and then check if it comes out, do this for every piston

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you check for 'sticky pistons'?

Because if you simply took off the caliper and checked by squeezing the brake handle....
You just found out that pressure will look for the path of least resistance
One or more will move, but the chance that all 4 pistons have equal resistance is very small

Block all pistons except one, and then check if it comes out, do this for every piston
I'm done trying to fix those stock calipers. I'm either going to do the R6 swap or buy Brembos.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'd get the Brembo's since they'll have a fitment chart for you and you can pull the trigger easily and quickly. I don't know if R6 caliper swap means buying used R6 calipers (which seems like you might end up in the same spot down the road) or new, but SS lines with Brembo calipers/MC seems like a winning combo to me.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm done trying to fix those stock calipers. I'm either going to do the R6 swap or buy Brembos.
Doesn't answer my question, you said you wrote everything down,...well, is blocking the other pistons on that list?
How about pushing in all pistons to decrease the chance of air bubbles once you're refilling the system

Look, you refurbed your own calipers, the fact this failed and Suz calipers aren't known to be badly designed, or prone to failure, makes me think it's not the calipers
And what if you get the same problems installing those R6/Brembo's?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe 06-16 R6 pistons will work. I have a set of 2011 or 12's (i forget which, it has been a while since i put
them on) on my '07 750 and they work awesome. You will need spacers which are easy to find on ebay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts