Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a quick ride this afternoon and as I round a corner and get ready to shift to 2nd, I hear a god-awful sound from underneath. The clutch lost it's return and I noticed coolant spewing from the side. I pull over and I see my water pump casing and engine sprocket casing have both cracked!!!

I call a buddy of mine and he picks me up. I get the bike back home and start tearing shit apart only to find everything has gone to shit!!

When I pulled the water pump (or what was left of it) I noticed that one of the tabs on the shaft was broken, no doubt resting at the bottom of the oil pan. Does anybody know what this piece is? It fell off as soon as I removed the fairing, so I don't know where it goes.

Also, a rubber plug fell out as I removed the fairing, where does that go??

Has this happened to anybody before? Tips on how go about fixing this would be greatly appreciated!!

thanx in advance!

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
That piece looks like the worm screw of the clutch cover which house a round plug covering it. But it looks like it all shattered from it.

What caused all this? Doesnt look like you tossed a chain. Did the water pump blow up?

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After looking at the damage, I'm thinking maybe the chain contacted sprocket cover bolt (last pic) and maybe that started all the shit.

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After looking at the damage more closely, everything can be fixed. However, the mount points for the water pump are gone to shit. Does anybody have any idea how to fix that without having to get a new lower case????

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
After looking at the damage more closely, everything can be fixed. However, the mount points for the water pump are gone to shit. Does anybody have any idea how to fix that without having to get a new lower case????
contact chip "ron Ayers" and see what they got for you.

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After spending all afternoon assessing the damage I came to the following conclusions. The water pump, sprocket cover, clutch push rod, clutch screw assy are all shot and have to replaced. I dropped the oil pan to make sure there were no small pieces left inside. But I was wondering, are all of the oil pans bolts supposed to have a gasket on them? Only 2 had gaskets on them.

I'm gonna start ordering parts 2morrow and hit the local bike shop to see if they have anything.

Word to the wise, if you think your chain is getting too loose, it probably is. Replace it before this shit happens to you!!!!

Thanx for the responses!!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
If you can't fix the lower case mount points for the water pump you could completely replace it with an electrical water pump.
Bosh have two suitable units and Craig Davies has one for motorcycles.

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tell me more about these electric water pumps!!! Never heard of those before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.