Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I just bought a gixxer 1000 with a kind of unclear history since it was imported to Sweden from Germany many years ago. The owner told me that it is model K4 from 2005, which shouldn't be correct, since the K4 was replaced with a K5 that year. To make it even harder, it has been striped with some custom graphics and I'm unsure if the paint (kind of very dark blue/purple) under the stripes is from any of the stock versions? The frame number is: JS1BZ111100111118? My long term goal is a total tear down and makeover in order to transform it into a Lucky Strike replica, but I need to know what I'm starting with?
I know, a very bad picture and I will provide better ones i needed?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Post a side view pic

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
Lucky Strike replica, you say? :crazy

BTW, this is the K5-6. Your front fairing is definitely previous gen.

And this is the THIRD justified opportunity tonight to post yet ANOTHER pic of "André's K6 Literbike V2.0" :banana:banana:banana

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
And this is the THIRD justified opportunity tonight to post yet ANOTHER pic of "André's K6 Literbike V2.0" :banana:banana:banana
Yes,I've noticed...I also noticed you have a new screen name that more suits you&your K6 literbike.
Enjoy :flipoff

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,636 Posts
I know significantly less about K4 than K5/K6 but JS1BZ111100111118 could be a late K4. The key thing is the "Z". I think that it designates K3/K4 but others here ought to know for sure. It's definitely not a K5 and "111118" is late in the two year K3/K4 sequence. So my best guess is a late K4. That would explain the "model K4 from 2005" as it could easily have not been first registered until 2005. Take a look at the rear of the engine/transmission crankcase. There should be an engine serial number stamped on it. K3/K4 begin with T711. Yours should be T711-137000 or higher (I think). Pics of the instrument cluster, the tag on the underside of the fuel pump, the part number off of the ECM, the fuse box, or the rectifier/regulator ought to nail it down.

P.S. Poor pic but the mirrors look like K4 or earlier. K5-up had the turn signals integrated into them while K4 had the signals in the side cowl, as yours seem to be.

·
7,744 Posts
Yes,I've noticed...I also noticed you have a new screen name that more suits you&your K6 literbike.
Enjoy :flipoff
Admit it - when you replied to this thread earlier and saw OP's Lucky Strike comment, you were waiting for this :spit

Daaaaaaamn, that's harsh. At least make it André_Sails :dissapointed

·
7,744 Posts
Yours is definitely a k3-4. At the risk of further shenanigans from forum staff :)flipoff), here's my '04 from the same-ish angle.

This one was known as "André's K4 Leaderbike" :banana

·
7,636 Posts
Andre's doesn't seem to have mirrors or turn signals and his cowling looks aftermarket. Note the color of his front calipers. The OP's seem to be the same.

·
7,744 Posts
Andre's doesn't seem to have mirrors or turn signals and his cowling looks aftermarket. Note the color of his front calipers. The OP's seem to be the same.
Well yes, mine was a track whore with track plastics but the ram air ducts and general shape is like OPs, whereas the only remaining option was the K1-2, which looks nothing like OP's.

Definitely a K3-4

·
Administrator
13,303 Posts
Yes it’s a k3 /4 ... those are cheap after market fairings which iv seen on a number of bikes.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lucky Strike replica, you say? :crazy

BTW, this is the K5-6. Your front fairing is definitely previous gen.

Oh my!! Thats nice!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reading a german list that translates the frame number into model namn say that it is a GSX-R 1000U???? Anyone heard of this U???? Btw, thanks for all the replies guys!

·
7,636 Posts
"Reading a german list that translates the frame number into model namn say that it is a GSX-R 1000U???? Anyone heard of this U????"

On the K5/K6 the 6th digit is 1 on the regular models and 2 on the U models, which I think is the reduced power 100 HP version. I'd expect it to be the same on K3/K4.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts