Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone please explain the difference between a slip on and bolt on for my 04 GSXR 1000. If I put on a slip on do I remove set valve? 2. Will it make me loose my lows and lower mids? 3. Am I better off with a bolt on even though it adds weight? 4. Do I say flip the whole thing and geta a fulll system. One of the reasons I'm asking this is because some shops say why do you want to get rid of your titanium headers and mid pipe, if your not going to race it save your money. Is this right? has anyone did a slip on and power commander? Thanks.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think the main purpose of a bolt on is for looks and sound as the performance gain and weight saving if any is marginal, however u dont need to get the bike re-mapped, it'll run fine and itl sound and look sweet. A slip on is similar but more performance orientated as it includes a new mid pipe and a full system even more so including headers I believe. I dont know shit in regards to the set valve Qu though, sorry. Depends what u want, are u wanting that aftermarket pipe sound and look or are u going it for power, I would either get a bolt on or a full system. On my bike I personally have a bolt on as I was simply after the look and sound and didnt want to hastle with re-maps - ect because the bike runs fine as is and is fast as shit for the streets, I dont take it too the track, its my mode of transport so do I need to spend 1000's for a couple more HP I wont even really notice - NO - but this is just me, everyone has different objectives and uses, decide what yours is and purchase accordingly... Good luck and I am sure there are people here who can give u far more insight especially into the SET valve thing, just thought I'd voice my opinion in case it helps...
MarK.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I went with the slip on...just put it on my Silver '03 last weekend. The set valve, cables, and actuator are gone and it was very easy to do thanks to some good info and pics in this forum. I took my time and was done in with the install (including clipping the ECU wire) in about an hour.

The bike lost some weight, got rid of that damn squeaky exhaust valve which will fail eventually, and it finally sounds like a liter bike rather than a sewing machine. I also intalled a switchable JSD while I was at it and it feels like I gained some low end power, nothing major, but definitely noticable.

It is YOUR BIKE though, so do what makes you feel good....to each their own.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
A slip on is probably good value for money, but if you can afford it go and get a full ti system fro Akrapovic, Yoshimura, Ti-Force etc...., a pc with a custom map and a BMC Race filter.

You will loose tons of weight over the stocker and get some good power gains.
Besides your bike will "sing a different tune" for sure

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.