Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a gsxr 600 2007 recently and when im riding the bike the temp stays around 190-205 but when i stop it starts to heat up alot up to 230 and I have no idea what it could be. Any suggestions

·
Registered
GSX-R750
152 Posts
If the temp rises very quickly at a stop, then that is usually what I've seen when you are low on coolant. When cold, pull the radiator cap to see if its full first. If it's full and it seems to climb at a normal rate, then probably just the fan wiring or fan/motor assembly. If it does rise quite fast though, and the radiator is not full, and if its not actively leaking, then sometimes what happens is a leak up high allowed the coolant to leak out, and stop leaking once the level got low enough. I would do the following if it was mine:

• Drain the coolant, inspect for oil or debris in coolant
  • flush with distilled vinegar+ water, run it for a few minutes.
  • flush with distilled water only, at least twice, run it for a few minutes.
  • fill and burp the coolant system with distilled water to check for leaks. Run the bike, idle it until fans come on, but if they don't come on by 220, I would investigate that wiring/fan assembly. If it hits 220F, just turn the bike off and still look for leaks.
  • If no leaks, fill with coolant of your choice, drain and rinse out the overflow tank, and fill it to the high mark, burp the air from the system a few times

And off you go. Service manual will give you any specific tips about your exact bike though, that's just my general go-to process for odd coolant/temp behavior. Hope this helps.

-Mike

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,740 Posts
+1 on the service manual. You're running blind without it. Look in the Cooling and Lubrication System chapter, specifically around the Engine Coolant Sensor section (may vary with model). There should be specs for when the fan turns on and off (typically 221 °F and (212 °F). Operation up to 230 °F sounds like something else may be going on, bent radiator fins, etc. I'm used to highway operation around 180 °F but 600/750 may be different. It should pop up quickly at stop lights to where the fan comes on. But it should quickly bring it down. The higher temps appear to be an attempt to lower HC & CO emissions in town.

P.S. This section is for introductions, not problems. You're pushing things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts