Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my clutch is slipping and out of the process of elimination I have deducted it be my pressure plate. Part number 21462-31E40 has been discontinued and I was wondering if people use the XY model part number 21462-31E20 for replacement or how do the other srad owners get around this discontinuation. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What model do you have? /So do you remember which plates are different, for I just put in "all" new model v plates. @ twisted mister- You should know that the manual shows no specifications for service.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
At a guess I would say the X-Y pressure plate is thicker, but this may not solve your problem. You must not understand what we are saying here about your clutch height. The manual gives specs for clutch plates.
The difference in clutch height between T-V and X-Y is made correct by the number of plates, the different (thicker) conical springs and the different pressure plate (thicker ?). Study the Micro Fisch part numbers.
Yes, there are no specs for pressure plate and conical springs. Clutch plates here.
And conical springs here.
Again, How many clutch plates in your (V) clutch ?
As BillV already said, Heavy Duty (thicker) conical springs may work.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
17. I see what you guys are saying. Ok so where do you guys shop for the heavy duty diaphragm springs? / Also are you saying that the 17 brand new less than a month old pressure plates for my model v are trash and I'm going to have to get model XY plates plus those diaphragm springs and the pressure plate to see it properly work?

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
What model do you have? /So do you remember which plates are different, for I just put in "all" new model v plates. @ twisted mister- You should know that the manual shows no specifications for service.

that doesn't mean it cannot be compared to a known good plate, every part in the clutch can be compared

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
17, Ok where getting somewhere now, the 96 manual shows 19 plates for the T model.
Ahh. now I see. You have to use the correct terminology.
The Fiber Plates are called Drive Plate Item #6.
The Metal Plates are called Driven Plate Item # 8.
The Pressure Disk (or plate) is Item # 9 here.
If your plates measure to spec and are flat they are fine to use.
What do your Conical Springs measure at, 2.9 mm service limit ? On page 85.
This guy might be a start.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
17. I see what you guys are saying. Ok so where do you guys shop for the heavy duty diaphragm springs? / Also are you saying that the 17 brand new less than a month old pressure plates for my model v are trash and I'm going to have to get model XY plates plus those diaphragm springs and the pressure plate to see it properly work?
17 ? If this is the case you would just need to put one of the best looking old plates back in (one metal (a. 2.3mm), (b. 2.6mm) V model, to make 18. This might work.
This model clutch changes every year 96,17 plates, 97,19 plates, 98,18 plates and all the other clutch parts around them change too. Very Difficult.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
17 ? If this is the case you would just need to put one of the best looking old plates back in (one metal (a. 2.3mm), (b. 2.6mm) V model, to make 18. This might work.
This model clutch changes every year 96,17 plates, 97,19 plates, 98,18 plates and all the other clutch parts around them change too. Very Difficult.
Ok you threw me off... Clever work Watson ( Craigfer63) and correction your "b." is a 1.6 if I am following you correctly. On the microfiche.....? Those are model x/y readings...?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
So if you increase the clutch stack height by 1.6mm or 2.0mm the clutch will be tighter.
Of course if you go too high the clutch will not Engauge (release) or the pull on the lever will be heavier.
Consider the travel in the Conical Springs (2) is @ 2.5mm, adding 2.0 mm may be too much.
Forgot to ask, You do have the two shim / spacers in ? Item # 12 (seat) and # 13 (washer) ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So in my comparison of the clutch models " inside the engine" and not the left side where cable and actuator are. The following are different " minus the actual plates." Also XY model has 6 different plate types and VW model has 4.

1- gear assembly, primary driven
4- hub clutch sleeve
9- clutch, pressure plate
11- model v - washer, clutch plate

@ sradmad600 I would love to know more about your setup. If anyone can flag him down. I am getting the used pressure plate tomorrow supposably so if anybody knows of anything I should check while I'm in there let me know as soon as possible. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
Ok, so how would I compare to a discontinued part?

find one, one that's known and working, lot of guys here have entire clutches sitting around for these bikes maybe someone will mic it out for you? you can prolly tell by looking at a good one, maybe look on ebay and see if you can find an angle of one to tell if yours is excessively worn?

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
find one, one that's known and working, lot of guys here have entire clutches sitting around for these bikes maybe someone will mic it out for you? you can prolly tell by looking at a good one, maybe look on ebay and see if you can find an angle of one to tell if yours is excessively worn?
Finding an "entire clutch" complete, Hard to verify which model it came from. 17,18, or 19 plates. I have read a thread on the Forum that talks about specific clutch height measurements, but I can't find it again.
Found this search, Clutch Stack height measurement.
or this.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.