Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’ve been lurking through these threads for weeks now trying to diagnose my k7 600. After replacing my battery, testing my stator, rr, cleaning up my camshaft sensor, replacing spark plugs, adjusting my set valve, cleaning all the components needed for the bike to turn over im still lost.

She ran fine up until a few weeks back when I replaced my clutch cover and gasket then wouldn’t start past 200 degrees, then it slowly got worse and better some days? Now it won’t start around 160-180 degrees, just turns over but won’t start up. Fuel pump kicks in and primes, hear my set valve open and just turns over and over. When it does start hot it kind of lags on the start until I blip the throttle. Can bump start the bike fine even at 8 mph and will also start right up when jumped. I just bought a new yuasa battery so I thought I fixed the problem but apparently not.

I’m starting to kinda go crazy and just need some advice from someone more mechanically inclined than me. I’m thinking maybe it’s the starter motor? Or possibly the starter itself? Could it be a valve clearance issue? Maybe needs a new camshaft sensor? Bike runs totally fine no loss in power or anything at all. Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
7,283 Posts
wont start or wont turn over? if it wont turn over sounds like possibly heat soak in the starter or starter relay?

if it turns over but wont fire up then possibly heat soak in the coils or some other component that can get worse as it gets hot?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wont start or wont turn over? if it wont turn over sounds like possibly heat soak in the starter or starter relay?

if it turns over but wont fire up then possibly heat soak in the coils or some other component that can get worse as it gets hot?
yes it won’t start, sorry I should’ve been more specific. Only gives me issues past about 130 degrees but it used to only be at around 200 degrees, so it’s gotten worse in a couple weeks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it won’t start, it should be throwing a code, check the code.
Does it have a Powercommander?
If so, disconnect it from the bike and see if it will start without it.
i put it into dealer mode and I’m only getting -c00. And no pc, does have an aftermarket full yoshi tho. I wish it was throwing an FI code this has been driving me crazy lol

·
Premium Member
7,283 Posts
if it turns over but will not fire up only when hot check components subject to heat soak, coils, spark plugs, wiring and connectors, things of this nature, make sure the pump remains working as well..

when you key it on hot when it wont start do you get all the normal preflight checks? needle sweeps, all lights on, fuel pump whirrs? it turns over the same speed as when cold?

check battery output when hot as well, they can suffer heat stroke too, only other thing I can think of would be a vapor or hydro lock in the fuel system? maybe the pulse generator is fouling up somehow?

you could ride it let it get hot, replicate the issue, then pull the spark plugs real fast and see if they are wet or dry... right after trying to start with half throttle or so.. so let it get how with airbox off tank bolts out, prop and wrenches ready to go, shut it off, when it wont start prop tank and pull those plugs fast, have a look at em, pics

if wet then ignition issue, if dry prolly fuel delivery,

·
Registered
210 Posts
Is the difficulty only related to temperature? Or is it also related to the time since it last ran?

i.e.:

What happens if you kill the engine at 200 degrees and immediately then try to restart it?

Is it different if you kill it then wait 15 seconds before trying to restart?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if it turns over but will not fire up only when hot check components subject to heat soak, coils, spark plugs, wiring and connectors, things of this nature, make sure the pump remains working as well..

when you key it on hot when it wont start do you get all the normal preflight checks? needle sweeps, all lights on, fuel pump whirrs? it turns over the same speed as when cold?

check battery output when hot as well, they can suffer heat stroke too, only other thing I can think of would be a vapor or hydro lock in the fuel system? maybe the pulse generator is fouling up somehow?

you could ride it let it get hot, replicate the issue, then pull the spark plugs real fast and see if they are wet or dry... right after trying to start with half throttle or so.. so let it get how with airbox off tank bolts out, prop and wrenches ready to go, shut it off, when it wont start prop tank and pull those plugs fast, have a look at em, pics

if wet then ignition issue, if dry prolly fuel delivery,
Yes everything checks out exactly the same when cold, only noticeable difference is it idles a little choppier past 180 degrees but nothing too noticeable. I was also thinking possibly vapor lock in my fuel lines. Thank you man, I’m gonna do exactly that sometime today if I can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the difficulty only related to temperature? Or is it also related to the time since it last ran?

i.e.:

What happens if you kill the engine at 200 degrees and immediately then try to restart it?

Is it different if you kill it then wait 15 seconds before trying to restart?
I also checked if maybe I could start it right back up once shut off hot but it immediately just turns over and won’t start back up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really appreciate your help guys, this has been driving me nuts these past few weeks! I’m gonna try and pop the plugs out after it gets hot and check if they’re wet or dry today

·
Registered
210 Posts
OK, I was suspecting leaking injectors, flooding the cylinders after engine shutdown, but that usually happens over some time, and wouldn't have an immediate effect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts