Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fuck me man i just put insurance on my bike and blah again.
one the tank flash rusted so i kreemed it.
TWo stuck an inline filter.
three drained the carb bowls.
four put fresh new gas in it.
third day and started it agin to have the bike cutting out into three cylinders. it ran fine last nite.
drained the bowls again and the third from the left is guky red bits flowing out it is clean know through another filter on and still the same problem.
Help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
how old are the spark plugs?

where does it run on three cylinders, just down low or all over?

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: jeff ]

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All over the place it is like something gets lodged then it 's gone.
for instance started it up from over A month.
charged battery
carbs were drained way back
tank was kreemed.
the fuel filter was caked from shit last time.
so it has a new one of those today.
but three days ago i got it running and it was a bit sketchy on the idleing low it cut out in the higher and ran fine.
i am having problems to get the beast started in the morning.
low spark??? i am thinking coils
the original is on the right side and the left is i have no clue from something not a gixxer.
but when i got this bike it ran fine.
note i had changed the exhaust to a high pipe yosh rs3 oval but had no problems till the flash rusting.
i have not looked at the plugs yet. blah i know i know

·
Registered
434 Posts
what kind of filter did you put inline if its a sintered bronze or a paper one its got too much resistance go to a car speed shop and get a puralator inline screen type with the clear tube plus you can clean them when they get full of crud. I know its says on the package not for motorcycles but it works just fine for me for the last 2 years.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
3rd from the left? Is that the cylinder that has the vacuum tit for the vacuum petcock? If so, it might be leaking, causing intermittent ptui on the cylinder. Set to 'Prime' and ride it. If ok, then you need a new hose on the petcock.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bc john i will check this out...
But honestly i think it might be my coils
i wannna get some anyways but do not wanna spend a fortune already have the msd wires and caps.
ANyways i will look into this vaccumm hose and see what is up. The bike is a 1100 86 gsxr. The carbs have reall y never been dealt with since i have owned this machine.
I have looked after it when putting into storage etc,, but the tank when it flash rusted mannnnnnnnnn it rusted good and fast so i dealt with that never had a filter in line until then and i got the little white they say gsxr fuel filter for 10 bucks and got two extra pyramid ones with gold carbon shit inside , that is what is in the machine know, but the carb bowls do spill out so red rusty shit now and again. It is like i have water caught in the gas lines that is all i can say.. I have spent most this year fucking with this problem and have lost my fucking mind. I also want something newer so if anybody wants a bike cheap i dunno ask?!!!

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
it could be coils....my old 86 gsxr's went through stock coils pretty quickly. dynas worked really well as replacements for about half the price of the oem suzuki coils....

did you change the plugs, though?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jeff i am amazed i have to ask this question
though
1. the valves have not been done and i am wondering if they would just go out of wack???
2. the coils are most likely the problem
3. ignition advancer tips anybody.....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh yah the vaccum lines one line is hanging down the frame not attached to anything that is the one on the side with the oil window.
the other side is attached to the original air box.

·
Registered
257 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> oh yah the vaccum lines one line is hanging down the frame not attached to anything that is the one on the side with the oil window.
the other side is attached to the original air box. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that "vacuum line" you're looking at is the line from the battery to vent gasses and prevent acid spills. Make sure it's hooked to the little nipple on the battery and then the other end should just be open. It won't make your bike run poorly but you will ned up with a lot of corrosion around the mattery box from battery fumes.

Matt

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay man the rear arse has been moded to fit a 93 750 plastic end so the battery now sits at the rear passenger seat tube floating out the end.
1986 gsxr 1100
the bike has been looked after when i picked it up did compression test all the above and rode it to seek out the problems found out the forks never been touched.
they got done
then engine oil changes regularly and it has been running fine and strong. But this year i filled the tank and the thing went flash rusting frenzy.
Kreemed it and put on a inline fuel filter the carbs sucke d much crap rusty bits of shat!!!
It also sucked some water at the time it was flash rusting .
While i was draining the carbs little heavy bubbles H2O along with bits of rust come thru....................
i have not opened the carbs to clean being lazy and just hoping that the shit has passed like a kidney stone. I have drained the carb bowls for the last week and no signs of shit.....
so i am thinking that it is electrical re: colis
really hoping that this is the last step.

my problem is wanna get the valves done and a major tune up but cannot trust anyone in this town.
Any takers or know of anybody alright the guy i do know of is hard to get he works for the film industry 3/4 of the time.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
clearances should be checked every 3000 miles, but it's pretty easy. if you have a shop manual it'll walk you right through it....and adjustment is also a cinch, as threaded tappets are used, all you need is a set of feeler gauges and tappet wrenches....

does the bike run bad all over the rpm range?

if not, i'd suspect that all the crud in the tank may have plugged up a pilot jet....

you didn't mention the last time the plugs were changed.....if they got wet fouled by water or whatever, that could be the problem....

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: jeff ]

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just pulled the plugs this morning and they are really looking good cleaner than i thought.
I have no idea how many miles are on the bike for i had a borken gear box but it does run strong.
The carbs i am shying away from for i have never messed with them ever in my life.
But i suspect the main jet is plugged up most likely from lookin at the manual. and it is probably the one spitting out most of the red shit.
My concern is how do i get in and out fast.
I wanna ride.
next do i have to balance each carb bowl yah know what i am trying to get at.
need your help throught this ruff time.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
the main jet has a fairly large orifice - a little larger than a millimeter in diameter (if they're stock jets or close to it)....chances are, the pilot jet would clog first as the pilot jet orifices are a lot tinier....

but at any rate, it seems that you will need to pull apart those carbs either way.

it's not TOO difficult of a job, especially if you have a service manual, but if you're the kind of person who takes things apart, puts them together and has parts left over, you might want to take the carbs to a shop and have them do a full cleaning instead....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
okay the carbs were filthy shit everywhere problem solved , question if you had this bike would you
1 have cv or flatslides.
i am going through thought to change to flatslides but if i travel the bike to different elevations i am gonna have problems.
what did you run on your old machine.???

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
no matter what, you're going to run into mixture issues with a carbureted bike.....it'll run richer at higher elevations. not much you can do about that, except rejet for the higher altitude.

you've got the stock 34mm carbs, right? the 36mm slingshot carbs from the 88-89 750 or katana 750, with individual air filters and jetted right, should work very well, and you could probably get them for a very good price. if you go for flatslides, don't go higher than probably 36mm with the stock 86 1100 head.....but i'm just guessing about that, perhaps somebody else here has experience with that particular setup.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts