Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am from India, and own a gixxer 155.

I need help regarding two issues which i am considering to change in my bike.

1. I wish to increase the handle height as well as need to bring it closer to me while riding. I have been doing long trips on it, and it has started hurting my shoulders. I know you will say to go buy a cruiser, but thats not possible for me. So please help with this if it is possible

2. I am also trying to reduce the weight of the bike (which is 135 kg), the best way i thought would be to get lighter tyres. So my doubt is, if could go for thinner ones like 90mm in front and 120mm rear, and probably mount 21 inch tyre in front(which is currently 17), would it be possible?

I am a beginner and a noob, so please be kind on me :)0:):nerd:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts

1. I wish to increase the handle height as well as need to bring it closer to me while riding. I have been doing long trips on it, and it has started hurting my shoulders. I know you will say to go buy a cruiser, but thats not possible for me. So please help with this if it is possible

2. I am also trying to reduce the weight of the bike (which is 135 kg), the best way i thought would be to get lighter tyres. So my doubt is, if could go for thinner ones like 90mm in front and 120mm rear, and probably mount 21 inch tyre in front(which is currently 17), would it be possible?

I have heard of people raising their bars, I don't know the technical details. Would shaving down the seat also have the desired effect or is it more distance from you rather than height?

How much difference in weight do the tyres make, is it really much? What about the exhaust, could you change it for a carbon fibre muffler?

I don't know how much you weigh but you might be able to lose 5kg from your own body (either weight or clothing or a combination of the above)?

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,180 Posts
Consider adjusting your posture, before making modifications to your bike. If your shoulder hurt, chances are you're putting weight on the bars, which you shouldn't do. Support your weight with your core muscles, and only apply force on the bars for steering. Also make sure your hands are bent at the elbows and not straight and tense.

I'm not sure why you would bother with weight on as 135Kg bike. If it's for acceleration, bear in mind, that if you manage to shave, say 13.5Kg off the bike, which is a lot, you'd get a 10% increase in acceleration. So if now the bike make 0-100km/h in, say 15s, you'd do it in something like 13.5s, so not a whole lot less.

If you insist on weight reduction, tires are not a place to look. As Springfall suggests, a lightweight exhaust should be a good start. As for why you would want a 21" tire on a sportbike, that's beyond me. I suspect you wanted a cruiser to begin with, but in any case it's not going to lead to weight reduction.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Those are neat bikes. It already has an upright seating position so I am going to agree with dpapa and say you should adjust your posture. If its a reach issue then, it has standard bars and you should be able to get risers for it. As far as weight tires are going to help much and its a performance trade off. Do they even make a 21" wheel for it(heavier)? That would be cool to put a 21" spoke and some knobbies on it though, especially for the rough areas over there. Exhaust is a good place to start, but there isnt much weight to be lost on that. You could save a few pounds on the battery. You would have to get pretty extreme to lose any significant weight.

·
Unstable SuperMod
21,904 Posts
Remove the rear 'mud flap' if you haven't already, that thing is huge and even in plastic would weigh a couple of pounds. :eek

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone,

My main objective is to make it comfortable for long rides.

springfall2008: I considered it, but I have to bend a little. I'm 5'9 tall. And my arms are not tensed. But I think it's the torso. I have to lean a little from the shoulders. But I will get risers as suggested by RaiderGT.
The reason I want to reduce the weight is to improve control over my bike for city riding (traffic here is crazy). And 21 inch tyre for going off road. It looks pretty too. I just want to play with my bike and see how I can make it fit myself the most. Yes I do have a thing for cruisers. I'm eyeing out Royal enfiled Himalayan these days, but it's no way in my budget.

RaiderGT: Thhanks for the suggestion, I'm definitely getting a handle riser immediately. I would probably get it made by a lathe shop. I don't think they make 21 inch tyre for it. That should look pretty if I could do so. I'll work around and see. What are knobbies? Thanks for the reply.

Knight 2211: I don't feel it would make a lot of difference.

P.S. I am a noob, but lately I've been spending time with my bike to understand it more and it's mechanisms. Also I have been reading stuffs on engine power and torque to know what they mean.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thank you everyone,

My main objective is to make it comfortable for long rides.

RaiderGT: Thhanks for the suggestion, I'm definitely getting a handle riser immediately. I would probably get it made by a lathe shop. I don't think they make 21 inch tyre for it. That should look pretty if I could do so. I'll work around and see. What are knobbies? Thanks for the reply. .
Knobbies is a slang term for like a dirt bike tire. Something with an aggressive tread. Looks like we were on the same thought path with that 21" wheel. Plenty of people do that stuff. Check out advrider for more ideas. If they are standard 7/8 bars you can probably get risers anywhere, or even whole new bars.

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
I had to google Gixxer 155. Looks like a Gladius with a small engine.

·
Rectum Rupticus
9,925 Posts

Is this what your bike looks like ? It already has a upright riding position . Looks like a fun little bike to ride . I'd see if you can find an aftermarket exhaust and remove the rear fender .

Your bike only weighs 297 lbs ,that not much at all . My 750 weighs in around 400 + . Probably closer to 450.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RaiderGT: Thanks for the information! Will keep updated regarding mods with pics. Btw 7/8 bar means the 7/8 inch thick bar right? I tried looking up on the net for it's meaning. Couldn't get the exact meaning.

coopgt1: Yes this one. It's a nice one to ride. But still there is a little strain on the shoulders, not too much like extreme sports bike. But still I am freaky kind of person, who wants to eliminate even little of the discomforts.I just asked for weight reduction for the sake of it. It's not really my priority now. I just want to work on it's ergonomics and riding position for now.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yes 7/8 refers to the bar diameter. I assume that's whats on this.

·
Super Moderator
15,074 Posts
Damn....

Never even heard of a Gixxer 155. And I thought I knew my bikes pretty well. I guess it's rival would be a Honda Grom here in the states. :dunno

Helibars might make something for that but I'm not sure because you have such a rare model. All I can do is wish you luck. Sorry my friend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn....

Never even heard of a Gixxer 155. And I thought I knew my bikes pretty well. I guess it's rival would be a Honda Grom here in the states. :dunno

Helibars might make something for that but I'm not sure because you have such a rare model. All I can do is wish you luck. Sorry my friend.
Its a pretty common bike here in my place. And quite popular too.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
you have such a rare model.
Actually I reckon Suzuki sells way more of those than of all the other GSX-R models combined...

It's just not imported to North America or Europe so none of the established aftermarket manufacturers will be making anything for it.

·
Super Moderator
15,074 Posts
Its a pretty common bike here in my place. And quite popular too.
Actually I reckon Suzuki sells way more of those than of all the other GSX-R models combined...

It's just not imported to North America or Europe so none of the established aftermarket manufacturers will be making anything for it.

Seems like it'd be a really fun bike. I want it! :biggrin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you may have to experiment a little . https://www.denniskirk.com/cruiser-motorcycle/handlebars also look up 7/8" Risers .
Thanks for the link. But i should tell you that these are way beyond my budget. Like 100$ may not seem much, but for me it actually is. pLus i spent entire day looking for risers, but none seem to have them. Reason: its not much demanded. I am now probably going to get it fabricated for 5 $. Hope it works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Yes it does sell like hot cakes here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seems like it'd be a really fun bike. I want it! :biggrin
Nah, with gsxr100 you shouldnt even think of it. Its fun bike, but you wouldnt want it. Given yours has 10 times more power.

Grass aways seems greener on other side. :laugh::bitchslap0:)>:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts