Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '04 600 with about 8000 miles on it. Today, I got back from a ride and found a bolt laying on the blacktop where I usually start my bike. Can anyone identify where it may have come from? I think that it must have worked its way loose, and wound up on the ground. It has a 7 stamped in the head.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
looks like a fairing stay bracket bolt, look on the right side of the bike, up at the neck, and there should be 2 bolts that hold that black front bracket the supports the front fairing. I would check there.

Where did you find it?

Scott

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Where did you find it?
he said 'on the blacktop where he starts his bike'....(apparently next to a big ass penny).

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where did you find it?
he said 'on the blacktop where he starts his bike'....(apparently next to a big ass penny).
Yes- I shrank the penny. I got tired of trying to scroll the screen too. I appreciate the suggestion where it might have come from. I searched for a few minutes today, but I"ll probably have to pull it apart a bit tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I realize in the driveway, front of the bike, rear of the bike, where abouts?

Scott

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
since it has a 7 on the head it is not a hardened bolt. Which means it is probably doesn't hold metal to metal. If it were it would have 3 lines in the shape of a Mercedes symbol. That screw looks familiar. Check the mount at the bottom of your radiator. There is a screw that keeps the radiator from swinging back into your headers....see if that works...

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I will be checking all of the faring stays tomorrow. As for 'where' the bolt was found on the ground, I can't really say. It was on the ground when I pulled-up from my ride (so who knows where the bike was parked when it fell off). I did check the bolts on the radiator that were visible without taking the farings off, and I didn't locate any missing.

I'd like to believe that the '7' means that they aren't used for metal fasteners, but considering all of the rear suspension bolts are marked with an '11', I'm not holding my breath that it will hold true.

I do appreciate suggestions, as it is an uncomfortable feeling thinking that there is a part that fell off somewhere

·
Registered
78 Posts
Heres my 2 cents which probably is worth 0 cents, but what about the exhaust bolt behind the rear passenger footpeg. I just did my exhaust this weekend and it looked just like that.........Probably wrong but just trying to help

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well... I couldn't wait until tomorrow. So I took a trip out to the garage and started poking around. I removed the right faring- but nothing seemed out of place. I was looking at the top of the radiator shield (plastic), it seemed to have a bolt that would have been out of sight. So I raised the tank to get a better look.

While I had the tank raised, I think I spotted the problem. There was a bolt missing in front of the airbox. It bolts a metal tongue to the frame, just in front of the airbox- and it's the first thing you see when you lift the tank. The bolt fits- so that's a good thing
I guess the only thing left would be for someone to confirm that they have a '7' imprinted on the bolt on their frame, in front of the airbox. So if anyone happens to be poking around under there, let me know

·
Registered
62 Posts
it looks just like one of the bolts that hold on the undertail mudflap/license plate holder. there are 4 of them i believe.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Those are round head bolts with a hex drive.

Scott

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah you are right scott. hmmm, damn where did i see those bolts??
Well... I posted where mine came from, above

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
I thought it came from the canooter valve assembly

·
Is Sexually Attracted To The Guys on GDC
21,546 Posts
I thought it came from the canooter valve assembly
no dumbass, it is for the johnson rod

1 - 20 of 21 Posts