Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 04 gsx-r1000 and i was riding yesterday for about an hour and a half then all of a sudden as I was pushing it in second my bike muffler started throwing fire. It would chug and then my red light would come on and the bike would shut off. It tried kicking back into gear but couldn’t. I would pull over and turn it off for about 3-5 mins and then it would start but would shut off if i had to stop or it it chugged again. Before this happened I hit about 110mph just fine. When I got home I had noticed a small oil leak, I just got my oil changed yesterday so I was assuming they just didn’t tighten the bolt. Could it be that or is it something more serious? Also forgot to add I did get it lowered yesterday as well!

·
Registered
GSX-R 1000 2014 L4 in the Netherlands
90 Posts
Where is the oil leaking?
If the copper O-ring is not new or red hot heated it might not seal so that would be an easy fix aldo it needs a drain again.
I can not assume that all the oil was leaked and the engine is killing itself.

When I cleaned my bike with de-greaser to sell it, it somehow worked bad for the filter oils seal so just when it is for sale it had an small oil leak (serious, it never leaked before , trust me...)

That small leak was fixed by tightening the filter a bit more (not as tight as a gsxR oil filter needs, insane compared to other filters)

And every thread about sputtering gixxers seems to end with the tank fuel filter being replaced, I don't know if the bike is stored a while (with bad eco fuel)
And people perform a fuel pump pressure test to see if enough fuel is delivered, you need a service manual for that or find a topic where this is described for the 04 model.

I would go for a maintenance run with new air-filter ans spark plugs , peace of mind when done and might solve it.
good luck, if it is lowered and the tank and connectors were removed maybe some connector is a bit loose now, should not be related with lowering.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where is the oil leaking?
If the copper O-ring is not new or red hot heated it might not seal so that would be an easy fix aldo it needs a drain again.

When I cleaned my bike with de-greaser to sell it, it somehow worked bad for the filter oils seal so just when it is for sale it had an small oil leak that was fixed by tightening the filter a bit more (not as tight as a gsxR oil filter needs, insane compared to other filters)

And every thread about sputtering gixxers seems to end with the tank fuel filter being replaced, I don't know if the bike is stored a while (with bad eco fuel)
And people perform a fuel pump pressure test to see if enough fuel is delivered, you need a service manual for that or find a topic where this is described for the 04 model.

I would go for a maintenance run with new air-filter ans spark plugs , peace of mind when done and might solve it.
good luck,

I tried tightening it with no luck. I did see there are so many suggestions as to why it could be I was hoping someone would have had the same issue and had it fixed lol. I just bought the bike about a month ago so I’m new to this. Thanks so much for your reply!

·
Registered
GSX-R 1000 2014 L4 in the Netherlands
90 Posts
Do not over-tight that because the pressure should be going into crushing the copper O-ring and not to torque.
So if this a used O-ring it can not be crushed anymore and might strip the thread trying, so only option, after tightening it a bit, it to drain and use new O-ring and crush it to spec (just a bit of torque, never hulk this)
Some one will answer, the manual is here:
99500-39271-03E

* 9 9 5 0 0 - 3 9 2 7 1 - 0 3 E *

date printed 2005, check if this is your model.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,440 Posts
The oil leak would only be a problem if the oil level was low. Check the oil level.

·
Registered
571 Posts
By Red light coming on, you mean the FI light on the dash?

Perhaps it needs to be put in 'dealer mode' to get a code, to know what the problem might be.

Etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up taking it back to the shop, it stalled twice on the way and I ended up tying the kickstand up and made it the rest of the way. They tried to tell me they didn’t to much the kickstand but that’s impossible bc it was different lol. I just hope they fix it and it doesn’t take forever or cost a lot
By Red light coming on, you mean the FI light on the dash?

Perhaps it needs to be put in 'dealer mode' to get a code, to know what the problem might be.

Etc.
so when the bike stalls it will come on and also says CHEC but then I turn it off and wait a minute, restart and it’s gone. I did notice my gas is going rather quick and I don’t drive it very far.

·
Registered
323 Posts
it sounds like a blown engine or piston.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Dealer should not have left that drain plug leaking under any circumstance. NO OIL LEAKS ! This oil is dripping onto your rear tyre.
A Genuine Suzuki Dealer could not let that bike leave their workshop. Some workshops leave oil changes to the apprentice. Anyone can make a mistake.
You have a few unrelated problems here, so start from the start.
The oil level in the sight window is full ?
Tying the kick stand up ? Is the return spring missing ?
Or are you talking about the side stand switch ?
To learn about the Dealer Mode Switch, Google search.
K5 here but there must be a K4 manual somewhere.

·
Premium Member
5,366 Posts
why I don't take my bike to the shop unless its full on warranty work.. no thanks, female to boot? always try to research your issue as much as possible before bringing it in then tell them to do specific work or tasks.. otherwise they might take you for an ATM and that can be painful..

good bunch here with tons of knowledge, if you have wrenches and can turn one and know clockwise form counter clockwise, or anti clockwise we can usually get you sorted...

that's a GREAT and simplish bike, one of Suzuki's best IMHO, taken care of they have very few issues if any, learn todo all your own maintenance so forth, save money and KNOW what's done right, like that crush washer, what is it plastic?

ronayers.com and order up several of them, use good filters like Emgo and superior quality oil and fluids.. I use a new crush washer each change, just me tho, lotta folk use em over and over, copper anyways, those nylon or whatever, meh.. I'll take metal please..

can you open carry in your state? strap one on when you bring your bike in or deal with those shops.. helps

·
Registered
571 Posts
I ended up taking it back to the shop, it stalled twice on the way and I ended up tying the kickstand up and made it the rest of the way. They tried to tell me they didn’t to much the kickstand but that’s impossible bc it was different lol. I just hope they fix it and it doesn’t take forever or cost a lot

so when the bike stalls it will come on and also says CHEC but then I turn it off and wait a minute, restart and it’s gone. I did notice my gas is going rather quick and I don’t drive it very far.
The Check engine light re sets every time you turn the key off and on, so there is that.
There is a plug under the seat area that is for jumping with a wire, paperclip, etc. It then tells you the FI = Fault indicator codes that will dome up on the dash also, they will cylce between them if there is more than one.

Bill V doesn't like the paper clip method, and suggests a dealer mode switch- also very easy to install.

Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
why I don't take my bike to the shop unless its full on warranty work.. no thanks, female to boot? always try to research your issue as much as possible before bringing it in then tell them to do specific work or tasks.. otherwise they might take you for an ATM and that can be painful..

good bunch here with tons of knowledge, if you have wrenches and can turn one and know clockwise form counter clockwise, or anti clockwise we can usually get you sorted...

that's a GREAT and simplish bike, one of Suzuki's best IMHO, taken care of they have very few issues if any, learn todo all your own maintenance so forth, save money and KNOW what's done right, like that crush washer, what is it plastic?

ronayers.com and order up several of them, use good filters like Emgo and superior quality oil and fluids.. I use a new crush washer each change, just me tho, lotta folk use em over and over, copper anyways, those nylon or whatever, meh.. I'll take metal please..

can you open carry in your state? strap one on when you bring your bike in or deal with those shops.. helps
Thanks for all you advice, for some reason I didn’t get any more notifications on here. I ended up taking it back again because of the oil leak and they still didn’t fix it. Said it was needing a cotter pin? On another note I rode it again today and I was in 3rd and it started like popping again and fire came out of the exhaust so I geared down and my bike shut off. Started up after 2 mins and I made it home. Is it possible I’m not going fast enough for the gears?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dealer should not have left that drain plug leaking under any circumstance. NO OIL LEAKS ! This oil is dripping onto your rear tyre.
A Genuine Suzuki Dealer could not let that bike leave their workshop. Some workshops leave oil changes to the apprentice. Anyone can make a mistake.
You have a few unrelated problems here, so start from the start.
The oil level in the sight window is full ?
Tying the kick stand up ? Is the return spring missing ?
Or are you talking about the side stand switch ?
To learn about the Dealer Mode Switch, Google search.
K5 here but there must be a K4 manual somewhere.

Yes the oil level is full, no the spring wasn’t missing but when I my bike had died someone had stopped and they were apart of a bike club here. He had called a mechanic and he checked my side stand and said it was loose and was probably the switch so we tied it so I could make it to the shop which I did. Since then I have had the kickstand switch bypassed. They did some work on my clutch bc i would have to let it almost all the way out before my bike would start rolling. Tonight I was riding and my bike made a couple popping sounds with some fire from the exhaust and then stalled out while I was in third. I’m not sure what the deal is

·
Registered
144 Posts
You really need to check the fault codes by using the dealer switch mod. If you get codes then it will point towards your problem.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Its a bad idea to bypass the kickstand switch. You will get hurt. There are plenty of simple ways to fix that.

Fire coming out of the exhaust! Does the bike have a full system and aftermarket air filter? It probably needs a flash and air induction mod.

Do yourself a favor and don’t go back to that dealership. For what dealers cost you can buy yourself some nice tools. And as time goes on you will be able to work on your bike and do everything yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,366 Posts
Yes the oil level is full, no the spring wasn’t missing but when I my bike had died someone had stopped and they were apart of a bike club here. He had called a mechanic and he checked my side stand and said it was loose and was probably the switch so we tied it so I could make it to the shop which I did. Since then I have had the kickstand switch bypassed. They did some work on my clutch bc i would have to let it almost all the way out before my bike would start rolling. Tonight I was riding and my bike made a couple popping sounds with some fire from the exhaust and then stalled out while I was in third. I’m not sure what the deal is

fuel delivery, ignition timing, valve timing, poor tune, vacuum leak(s)

how fast are you going in each gear? theoretically you can as fast as you want in each gear on level surface, 3-4000 rpm is plenty then shift but you can cruise at lower RPMs, anything above around 2200 or so above 3rd 4th, below 3rd seems you can idle it along, pretty strong motor really

1 - 20 of 39 Posts