Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy I have has an 86 GSXR1100G. He has been experiencing a problem for the last year where when he takes the R's up around 8k + the bike starts bucking like it's misfiring or starving for fuel - cuts out and what not. It all started after he rode it one day last year that was EXTREMELY hot outside (like 105 degrees). The bike was running fine when he parked it, and had the problem when he went to ride it again. Only mods at the time were yosh slip on and jet kit installed by dealer's service dept. He has had the carbs gone through by 3 people - nobody found anything wrong. Last guy he took it to was a real TOOL with his own shop and basically took him for a bunch of cash. He replaced the coils, wires, plugs, air filters, ECU and supposedly returned the jetting to factory size - all with no results, but he kept charging him every time. the mechanic claims that the plugs look fouled. The bike is NOT smoking at all. The mechanic eventually ended up consulting with a local Suzuki delership and they told him that the only thing they could think of that he had not tried is to replace the emulsion tubes in the carbs as they may be worn egg shaped and causing it to run way too rich. After about 3 MONTHS of this guy not being able to get it fixed he finally just went and brought it home and basically begged me for help. I told him I'd hit the board for some creative thinking from you guys since his so-called mechanic seems to just be just plain soaking him dry without getting anything accomplished. Sorry for the long post Gimme your thoughts !!!

[ 08-15-2002, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: scottm ]

·
Registered
142 Posts
Originally posted by scottm:
Buddy I have has an 86 GSXR1100G. He has been experiencing a problem for the last year where when he takes the R's up around 8k + the bike starts bucking like it's misfiring or starving for fuel - cuts out and what not. It all started after he rode it one day last year that was EXTREMELY hot outside (like 105 degrees). The bike was running fine when he parked it, and had the problem when he went to ride it again. Only mods at the time were yosh slip on and jet kit installed by dealer's service dept. He has had the carbs gone through by 3 people - nobody found anything wrong. Last guy he took it to was a real TOOL with his own shop and basically took him for a bunch of cash. He replaced the coils, wires, plugs, air filters, ECU and supposedly returned the jetting to factory size - all with no results, but he kept charging him every time. the mechanic claims that the plugs look fouled. The bike is NOT smoking at all. The mechanic eventually ended up consulting with a local Suzuki delership and they told him that the only thing they could think of that he had not tried is to replace the emulsion tubes in the carbs as they may be worn egg shaped and causing it to run way too rich. After about 3 MONTHS of this guy not being able to get it fixed he finally just went and brought it home and basically begged me for help. I told him I'd hit the board for some creative thinking from you guys since his so-called mechanic seems to just be just plain soaking him dry without getting anything accomplished. Sorry for the long post Gimme your thoughts !!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">a few things I would check:
*is the fuel tank breather plugged? If it is unplug it.
*are you running the air box with the air filter? If not, you need to unless you have a stage 3 jet kit.
*doesn't sound like you guys got the carburetor thing straightened out, did you check the slides for elongated emultion holes? may be the problem, or other carburetor problem. try some other one's (I know hard to find!) how about some aftermarket carbs and junk the air box, you will gain a lot of power!
*go back to basics: check engine compression, engine leak down, valve clearances, carburetor synchronization, spark plugs, valve timing, igition timing,
*maybe it is more than just a matter of tuning,

difficult to give more advice over the internet

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback - exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for!
I basically told him to bring the bike by and drop it at my house and I'll start going through the basics as you suggested. From what I understand - he has a single K&N filter on each individual carb now so no airbox involved. I also thought about just trying to hunt up another set of carbs as well. I've been hounding him to find out what size the stockers are so I can start looking. Anyone know the answer to that one ? Any other perspectives still welcome - I'm starting from scratch and am unfamiliar with this particular bike.

[ 08-15-2002, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: scottm ]

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
The only dealer in Kansas I know (by reputation only) is the Suzuki dealer in Olathe.

Otherwise it's the old foursome...air, fuel, spark & exhaust.

I would guess it's air & fuel giving him issues.

If you can disassemble the carbs and do your best to check for wear/damage that will leave dealing with the air filters.

They may cost money but K&N filters flow air as though there is no filter.

Once you find something, go to a dealer you trust with a Dyno that has an air/fuel sniffer. With that he can get it jetted properly.

Good luck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL - I have my own opinions, but I'm curious what your perception of their (Olathe Suzuki) reputation is ?

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I love having friend-of-a-friend stuff like this...

Two years ago I rode my gixxer to the races at Road America...where I bump into a grad student from my wife's History department (Dave)...Dave is there working the pit crew for Shane Clarke (AMA #919) for the superbike race...I got invited over to Shane's area and socialized with his mechanic (I like to leave the racers in their own world on race day)...based on my observation & interaction with Shane's mechanic (whose name I don't recall) I would let him work on my gixxer. He may not be at that dealer anymore but that's as much as I know...which doesn't seem to be that much tonight

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm probably gonna get shot down for this
, I dont believe it's a carb problem, carbs dont normally start suddenly giving shit, they normally creep up on you over a period of time, that my justification for saying look at "THE SIDESTAND KILL SWITCH"
You say everything electrical was replaced,coils,ecu,plugs etc. I had exactly the same problem, when you whack the bike open, at about 8000 rpm it would feel like you ran into a brick wall, then would start up again. The sidestand was loose causing the switch to vibrate and sometimes cut the power. It's a common problem, I just bypassed it. Hope this helps, it could be carbs, but they dont normally just start giving shit without anybody changing something like jets/airfilter etc.

·
Super Moderator
17,291 Posts
The kickstand being loose(either from a worn spring or loose bolts)would also cause a nasty backfire..

·
Registered
360 Posts
Before you tare into the carbs (again) swap them with a set that is known good. if the problem goes away then tare into the carbs (or replace), but don't waste your time chasing what may be a ghost until you find out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The stock carbs can't be more than like 33 or 34mm for a US model 1100 in '86. I have a friend that has an '86 1100 with 36mm Mikuni flat slides that are 36mm and work great.

The stock carburetors don't work very well w/o the air box! The jetting has got to be just right. The flat slide Mikuni Carbs will work better w/o the air box and give you gobs of more power when set up right.

YKW (you know what): my buddy may still have his stock carbs sitting around (if he didn't toss them!), I will check on that!

[ 08-16-2002, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: blip ]

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are the shit
I hadn't even thought about going for the sidestand. I'll check that first and go from there. If anyone comes up with a set of carbs - let me know. I might be needing those eventually.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Your right about the sidestand thing, it happened to me! I thought I was gonna have some major jetting issues......... the whole time it was cause my sidestand was loose
I had to find out on the 1/4 mile

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok - starting simplest first - tried the kickstand switch to no avail. Thats not it, so I am going to run down the electrical connections next to make sure they are all sound. Still interested in a set of "known good" carbs to swap out as well. Thanks for the continued help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Carb swap solved the problem. I'm gonna run through the old carbs and see if anything jumps out at me.

Thanks everyone !!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts