Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been beaten to death, but my friend (he has never heard of gixxer.com) swears that his 06 750 with a -1 sprocket in the front did not suffer any top end. Now mind you he only rides in town and never really sees the highway. He always doing standup wheelies while rolling through town and other stuff. He believes that he will still be able to maintain top spead with my stock gearing.

Who is right?

If it does effect top end, what are your top speed results/rpm's with a - 1 in front?

I normally do 95% interstate/highway riding and I am wondering if a -1 would be worth if for me as well.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I don't think you'd notice it unless you were topping the bike out.. i'd definately do it.

Sorry, just re-read that.. if all your time is speant on the highway this will raise your cruising RPMS and eat up more gas.. and I don't know of any real reason to go -1 if you're pure highway really.. :S

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was doing some calculations tonight.

If you change the front sprocket from 17 (standard) to 16, this represents a 5% change in the ratio of teeth between the front and rear sprocket. So you can expect a 5% reduction in top speed. I think the K6 750 is geared for a theoretical 175mph, so wil a -1 front you top end would now be 166mph. Again all this depends on weathwer condition, road conditions, rider weight and size. Over all I dont think anyone would miss or notice the loos of top end. It may even seem higher due to the increased accelleration.

In terms of crusing revs it has only added between 500 and 1000 revs. not a big deal really.

The main thing to ask yourself is, do you feel like the bike need more accelleration? If not then dont bother. If you do then go for the -1. It is cheap and reversible if you dont like it. I did it and love the improvement, and still got the girl up to 150mph before I felt scared and eased off and I still had about 2500 revs left.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You could use your stock chain, you can order from motomummy. Remember to get a 530 sprocket, not one for use with a 520 chain.

Honestly if you are going to do it, might as well get a 520 kit and go up 2 in the rear too! Got mine sitting here, waiting on a rear stand or one of the local guys to have time to put it on for me.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Is going -1 +2 like a rediculous change or no? I don't do much highway, i'm all street.. but i'd like to track next season. I don't want to go overboard... still recommend it? Thanks for any info

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
timyates519 said:
Is going -1 +2 like a rediculous change or no? I don't do much highway, i'm all street.. but i'd like to track next season. I don't want to go overboard... still recommend it? Thanks for any info

I did a -1 and love it. I don't know if I will or not do the +2 in the back. Motomummy has the -1 (16t) for I think 29.99 shipped. Oh yeah get a 525, not a 530 like c42 had told you. Our bikes come stock with a 525.:D

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Hamos, that is what I was looking for. Fastest I went so far was 167 (speedo reading) with 2500rpms to redline left. Slight wind at my back and going down a slight hill. If I expect to only loose about 10 mph and only go up 500 to 1000 rpms, I think the -1 will be my option to go with. 520 chain and speedohealer as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
481 Posts
For mostly twisties and track days --> -1, +2 NO QUESTION!!!

A big difference from stock, but exactly what I personally am looking for. Also, there are very few tracks (at least in SoCal) where you would want taller than -1, +2 (Willow Big Track being the one).

But, it is personal preference. If I were commuting to work daily more than about 25 miles one way, then I'd go -1 or taller.

My .02.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Think it logically. What does the sprocket? Explain to him what it does and why it will affect the top speed. He might not felt it because of the error from the speedometer or it's too little differences that no one can feel it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Cestode said:
Wow!!! this is logic:wtf :D :cheers
:cheers

I think he meant, " Think about it logically. What does the sprocket do? Explain to him what it does, and why it will affect top speed. He might not feel it [difference in speed] because of the error from the speedometer, or it's too little of a difference to feel it."

In other words, he wants you to explain to him, that if you drop a tooth in the front, the bike is now going to accelerate faster, but chop off some of your top speed because one revolution of the smaller sprocket will now turn the tire less, meaning a lower "top speed" than the bike used to have. Unless of course the bike was previously drag limited as catatafish said previously. Regaurdless, I think it is a smart move to go -1 in the front. You get a good gain in accel and don't take a huge hit on top speed. Especially considering you wont need that top speed on most tracks you'll be riding.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate at -1 up front. You need a slatlake to get top speed as it is stock. Most trackbikes would benefit from this mod. But with any track situation you should regear so the bike is nearly at the limiter at the end of the longest straight. Or you are between gears in the esses. On the street stock works ok but slow traffic would be better with a -1.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I cant give definitive answers on how the revs have increased for highway cruising, as I've not been on the highway since doing the mod!
I usually cruise at 85. Stock gearing I was around 6000 revs. At around the same speed at the weekend I was around the 7000, so a 1000 rev increase would be the max if just going -1, probably slightly less. Top speed. I'm not going to miss 10mph for the once or twice a year I try to max the bike out. Also non of the tracks in the UK have straights long enough to max it in 5th let alone 6th.

On stock gearing in town (30mph) 2nd gear bogged down and in 1st it was revvy. With the -1 slap it in 2nd and the bike is happy as larry.

The speed and pick up out of corners is breathtaking. Do it.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
-1F/+2R is about 1000 RPM higher and about 20MPH (+/-) @100MPH. IE.. tach reads 100 you are doing 80.

The -1/+2 is about the best all around gearing you can do. to short for long trips and a little tall for regular tracks. I have never hit the rev limiter in 6th on the track, and that's with over a 1/4 mile straight.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.