Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its about a problem with my zx-9 but I wanted to ask you guys cause I've seen your replies to bike trouble questions in the past...You guys know your shit!

Heres the deal.......I put 2 dollars worth of gas in my 9 yesturday. No big deal right....only I bought the gas from a small mom and pop gas station. The gas station was about 1-min from my house. I had no problems with the ride back to my house yesterday.
Ok so I go to start it up this morning.....it fired up fine....I let the choke off and proceeded to let it warm up while I put my gear on. All of a sudden it started to "sputer" and wouldn't hold an idle. ALOT of smoke(blue) is coming out of the muffler.
Bad Gas? Was there enough "good gas" left in the line for the ride home yesterday and the clean fire up this morning? Before I proceed to drain the tank........I wanted to know what you guys think. Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Gix,

I have a few things you can check:

1 Clogged air filter element
2 Carburetor needs adjustment (its too rich)
3 Choke is not operating properly
4 Your guess - contaminants in the gas
5 Fouled spark plugs
6 ignition coil has shit the bed
7 Loose or defective ignition circuit wire
8 Valve timing incorrect

There are other electrical causes as well but they involve a serious breakdown to see (like damaged wire insulation causing short circuits)

Hope this helps
Shoot me an email with any other questions.

Tibbs

Originally posted by oldskoolgix:
Its about a problem with my zx-9 but I wanted to ask you guys cause I've seen your replies to bike trouble questions in the past...You guys know your shit!

Heres the deal.......I put 2 dollars worth of gas in my 9 yesturday. No big deal right....only I bought the gas from a small mom and pop gas station. The gas station was about 1-min from my house. I had no problems with the ride back to my house yesterday.
Ok so I go to start it up this morning.....it fired up fine....I let the choke off and proceeded to let it warm up while I put my gear on. All of a sudden it started to "sputer" and wouldn't hold an idle. ALOT of smoke(blue) is coming out of the muffler.
Bad Gas? Was there enough "good gas" left in the line for the ride home yesterday and the clean fire up this morning? Before I proceed to drain the tank........I wanted to know what you guys think. Thanks guys!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
77 Posts
Blue smoke means it's burning oil. Maybe the cheap gas caused detonation damage? I'd do a compression or leakdown test to make sure that the rings, pistons, and valves are OK.

Yancy

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
You probably sucked up some oil into the breather system because of the angle of the bike. Take it for a ride and then see if it doesn't clear up...if it's bad gas, it won't clear up.

You can pull of one of the carb bowls and look at the fuel, you'll see the water if it's in there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
go back to the gas station and look at the pump that you used.make sure it is not deisel.a friend did that once being in a hurry and got about 15 miles away and then his did the same thing.it even made nice blue smoke rings out the pipe.if so drain and flush your tank,float bowls, and fuel line.then put knew plugs in it.good luck

·
Registered
82 Posts
not sure if it has anything to do with it or not but you should never let a bike warm up on the side stand, as oil won't get to the right hand side of the engine properly and could cause major damage.

·
Super Moderator
17,291 Posts
Originally posted by micron boy:
not sure if it has anything to do with it or not but you should never let a bike warm up on the side stand, as oil won't get to the right hand side of the engine properly and could cause major damage.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What the fuck???
Is this really true.
Never heard it before.
I've owned 7 street bikes and never had any problems using the sidestand while letting 'em warm up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds to me like you put some diesel in your tank by mistake. You had enought fuel in your float bowls to get you home, and start the next day. My suggestion; go to the same pump, a buy a gallons worth of fuel in a gas container, let it sit for a bit, and look at the bottom. The station might have bad tanks, ie water.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds to me like you put some diesel in your tank by mistake. You had enought fuel in your float bowls to get you home, and start the next day. My suggestion; go to the same pump, a buy a gallons worth of fuel in a gas container, let it sit for a bit, and look at the bottom. The station might have bad tanks, ie water.

Yup I did..... Geee -SUS- CHRIST!!!
I back to the gas station and looked at the pump.......In real faded red letters "diesel"

So i drained the tank and filled it up(with gasoline this time
) started it up worked out the rest of that shit.........and now she is fine. Ya think I damaged the motor at all?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I know probably the dumbest thing i have ever done in my life.........in my defense.....the gas station was really old. It had 2 pumps side by side pump #1 had regular and super. Pump #2 had regular and Desiel. I just wasn't paying attention

Well one thing is for sure I'll never do that again.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I'll bet if you put some glow plugs on that motor you could run deisel...

Did your milage improve after switching to deisel?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, it did, as a matter of fact. I also ripped off my muzzy exhuast and put a 6' smoke stack that shoots through my wind screen. In addition, I added an air horn and a mud flap with Yosemite Sam saying "back off"

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a Peterbilt engineer, here's a thread I feel right at home with!
That Diesel won't hurt a thing; I've even heard of guys putting small amounts of Diesel in with their gas to "clean things out."
Disclaimer: That was long ago, they did that with cars, not motorcycles, and they only used really small amounts, 10% or so.

Still, you won't have damaged the bike - it just won't run on the stuff - as you well know!

And thanks for the laugh!

Regards,
Rob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts