Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
86 GSXR 750
Katana cv carbs
Yosh exast
92 suspenson
4000 orig miles
One pissed off owner that has never had the chance to ride it.

k, so I am down in the basement happy as could be because the rustol for my tank restoration will be here on monday and I was just putting the jet and needle in the LAST carb after cleaning all of them. I was so happy because I had planned to have a running motorcycle by thursday.

Then it happend! The third light tap on the punch (With a small wrench) to get out the float pin and the fargin bastard BROKE OFF ON ME. I was being so carful toooooooooo. I have taken so many of these off on different carbs and finaly one broke on me.

FFFFFFFFFAaaaaaaaaacccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

I inspected it and it seems to have been pushed in extra var and has a little rust.

One of the two things that hols up the float that the pin goes through is broke off.

I had done so much research on those carbs and already bought a jet kit for them. and have it installed in all but one friggin carb.

Can anyone give me a half way reasonable solotion to this problem.

I wonder If I can just get the body of the carb from the dealer. I dont even want to think what that would cost.

Shiiieeeeeaaaaiiiit. I am goin to bed.

Thanks in advance.

GregW

·
Registered
53 Posts
can you drill it out??
(carefully)
if the center is gone it may release some pressure off the thread.
and tap it out, maybe

[ 03-16-2002, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: scooterboi ]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, It was one of the sides that the float pivot pin goes through that broke off. The carb is junk. The funny thing is, I went down and looked at it today and the pin is stuck in the side that broke off.
Oh well
Gregory

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, thats what I thought. Anyone know where I can find a set of carbs off an 89 1100f katana.
Thanks
Gregory

·
Registered
219 Posts
Man, that sounds like my luck. I've got a set of 36mm cv's and a set of 38mm flatslides I might be getting rid of, but I'd repair that break with some two-part epoxy or glue before I bought anything. Is it plastic? That thing doesn't get too hot or take any stress and even if you don't get it perfect you can just bend the tab and adjust the floats. JB weld or Supermend comes to mind or maybe some gasoline-proof glue.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lemme know how much for the 36's 38's are just too big form my wimpy 750.

Since its inside the bowl I am very hesatant to use any epoxy. I want a rock solid bike that I trust for up to 500 mile trips. And in keeping with that goal I cant use epoxy.

Thanks though.

Gregory

·
Registered
893 Posts
I would keep my eyes open for a set of 89 katana carbs, seeing how you have the jet kit & all. I can't imagine they would be to hard to find.

Good luck, sorry to hear about your misfortune.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
surely there are loads of those carbs for sale cheap at bike breakers ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts