Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 98 bandit motor i'm dropping into the 87 750 frame...

I want to keep the 87 oil cooler and use the 87 style pan, so I should be able to use one of the headers I have here (one Yosh has plenty of clearance, and one V&H that I think is for an 1100) and a yosh pipe with a little creative engineering.

OR should I keep the bandit pan and have custom braided lines made? I have the stock bandit header....

What's the easiest way to do this swap for the guys that have done it.

Oh yeah, and what do you do about the bottom rear bolt? Drill the frame to 12mm or space the engine to 10mm?

I was thinking of making an adjustable spacer like on OSS to prevent breakage of the motor mount.

·
Premium Member
6,964 Posts
uhm what are you talking about the lower rear bolt???? I've never had to mod any on the swaps i've done....

And in your case it sounds like a custom set of cooler lines would be the best choice...

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the lower engine mount bolt was 12mm on the bandit and 10mm on the slabside? It's something I read on OSS so maybe innaccurate. You just use the stock 750 mounting parts, I assume?

·
The other OG
6,334 Posts
accuracy wise they say it's better to sleeve the motor , it can cause the mount /case to beak iff it is a 10mm bolt in 12mm hole

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am also going to fitted a modified bandit 1200 motor in my GSXR1100K.
For road racing would it be better to use the deeper GSXR oil sump or stick with the shallower bandit??

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I finished the swap today. I used the first-gen sump instead of the bandit one, because the bandit has a tiny little oil cooler and it allowed me to keep my stock cooler, or later swap to a curved 750 cooler.

For anyone else doing the swap, note that the Bandit has front oil outlets like a 89-91 1100 motor, but they are banjo, not compression. If you have a 1127 gsxr pan you can steal the adapters out of it to use the 1127 cooler and compression-fitting lines.

I was surprised to see the Bandit pan is a side-sump design just like the first-gen gsxr, not a center sump like the 1127 gsxr. It even uses the same oil pickup as the 1052.

As for the rear lower bolt, the 12mm bolt that came with the motor was too short for the 1st-gen frame, so I had to use the 10mm bolt and could not drill out the frame tabs. I ran out of time so I just bolted it together without a sleeve but I am trying to locate some 10mmx12mm aluminum tube. Very hard to find here in the states.

The exhaust I used is from an 88-89 short-stroke slingshot, I have no idea why it works but it does. The collector just barely touches one of the banjo bolts on the bottom of the pan. I could fix it by using the Bandit pan with the curved cooler and 1127 oil lines, and I might just do that in the future.

·
Premium Member
6,964 Posts
So I finished the swap today. I used the first-gen sump instead of the bandit one, because the bandit has a tiny little oil cooler and it allowed me to keep my stock cooler, or later swap to a curved 750 cooler.

For anyone else doing the swap, note that the Bandit has front oil outlets like a 89-91 1100 motor, but they are banjo, not compression. If you have a 1127 gsxr pan you can steal the adapters out of it to use the 1127 cooler and compression-fitting lines.

I was surprised to see the Bandit pan is a side-sump design just like the first-gen gsxr, not a center sump like the 1127 gsxr. It even uses the same oil pickup as the 1052.

As for the rear lower bolt, the 12mm bolt that came with the motor was too short for the 1st-gen frame, so I had to use the 10mm bolt and could not drill out the frame tabs. I ran out of time so I just bolted it together without a sleeve but I am trying to locate some 10mmx12mm aluminum tube. Very hard to find here in the states.

The exhaust I used is from an 88-89 short-stroke slingshot, I have no idea why it works but it does. The collector just barely touches one of the banjo bolts on the bottom of the pan. I could fix it by using the Bandit pan with the curved cooler and 1127 oil lines, and I might just do that in the future.
The later cooler is bigger than the early(pre '01) coolers, I run the '01-'05 cooler on mine...that way I can run B-12 headers and I have no oil line/header interference issues... And all the parts are easily attainable still that way too. And you have a wider exhaust selection...
Im just stating what i did, and why i chose to do it, I am NOT knocking the way you did it....So dont take it wrong...

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The later cooler is bigger than the early(pre '01) coolers, I run the '01-'05 cooler on mine...that way I can run B-12 headers and I have no oil line/header interference issues... And all the parts are easily attainable still that way too. And you have a wider exhaust selection...
Im just stating what i did, and why i chose to do it, I am NOT knocking the way you did it....So dont take it wrong...
I hear you. I just looked at my pile of parts and figured out what would work with the least fabrication and cost.

When I pull the motor to fix the leaky drain tube I will swap oil pans and coolers around again probably.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts