Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a 92 GSXR 1100 swingarm on my 86 GSXR. I think I am missing parts but I can't tell from the microfische. I ordered a maintence book but it is on back order so I won't get it for at least 3 weeks.
What I need is just the info on the mounting of the swingarm, such as what pieces are needed to assemble the swingarm to the frame. I also need info on the mounting of the rear wheel onto the swingarm. Pictures would be great or just any info at this point would be a great help.
Sorry for the long post.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you able to take picture of the parts needed to install the swingarm? I am looking for pictures of all the pieces required to bolt it to the frame.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Use a 91-92 750 arm they are 2 1/4" shorter than 1100. I put one on my 92 1100 and it made a hugh difference in handling. Junk yards are a good place to find them. Need to use shorter brake stay arm also. Not sure on the mounting with an older model, but I don't think its a direct bolt on. Might have to make some parts to fit it.

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
I haven't got my swinger yet, but you should use the axle and shock linkage from the new arm. You might need some custom spacers also.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like it should bolt right on with no mods needed. I am not sure if I have all the berings and spacers that come with the swingarm. Once I get that part figured out I will be home free. I will keep in mind the 750 swingarm, I didn't realize it was that much shorter.
Doing these mods would suck without this forum.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I put a 91 style arm on my 86 at least its the style befor the bannana arm anyway, had to make some sleaves to go inside the arm to reduce the inner bearing down to the 86 bolt dia, if I remember corectly I used the inner bearing sleaves from the stock 86 arm and loctited them inside the 91 sleaves, think I had to shorten the length. As to linkage I took the stock rocker and made a spacer that fits inside the stock rocker that has a hole in the middle, the stocker has an eccentric bushing, then took some flat stock aluminum and made some new dog bones, along with the odd spacer here and there done. By the way you will get a huge diff in handling the stock 750 is a piece of crap. a simpler solution could be a stock 86 1100 arm which has diff bracing and looks half decent for stucture.You need to play with the shim washers that go inside the dust seals and between the frame rails to get rid of any side play also tork the pivot bolt to the MINIMUM value listed in the manual not the maximum to keep the drag on the swingarm to a minimum when I finished mine on doing a sag test at static mine now returns within 2mm everytime before all this it was 15mm, I beliveve most of this is from getting rid of the eccentric bushing linkage and the tork on the pivot bolt not binding the swingarm in the frame. Dont have any pics at the moment but will try to get them before I sell the bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts