Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 Gixxer 600 with 2700 miles. Had the oil changed and chained tightened. When i got the bike back i noticed that had lost power/torque. Specifically when i try to clutch 2nd gear wheelies and give it throttle, the engine revs very high as if the powerband was kicking in. Therefore there is a loss in torque and the bike won't come up. Also it feels as if the powerband is kicking in too soon as i give it throttle hard to pass during normal riding. My friends listened and rode and said something was off. Can't think at all what it could be. PLEASE HELP if you have any info, thanks.

·
Premium Member
26,774 Posts
toasted clutch??

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
its in your head

a tight chain isn't going to do anything
and you really have to have romped on your clutch to have toasted it already. esp. with the abuse i put on my 02 600 when I learned to clutch it. I think since your a new rider you've just gotten our of your groove. Maybe they only 3 spark plugs back in at the service

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought of the clutch too, but it shifts fine. Its when i am accelerating after its in gear is when i have the problem of it revving very high

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think its in my head. I had experienced riders test drive the bike. You can hear and feel a difference. I don't believe its the clutch or the chain too. Thanks for the imput.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The clutch could slip after that point of intial gear engagement. As your rpm goes up so dose the horsepower / torque load on the cluch, and it could slip at that point.
good luck

·
Registered
505 Posts
Maybe you're getting wet clutch and it's slipping while in gear?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Its a simple question with the clutch... is the bike revving faster than its actually accelerating? Normally when a clutch fails on a bike or atv, you wont notice it at friction point, you'll notice it in high rev's when your trying to make the machine pull hard... I would be almost 100% that your problem is a toasty clutch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the 04 and 05 have a wet clutch, if whoever changed the oil used oil with a friction modifier that would cause it to slip and rev up higher.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A reputable mechanic service the bike. He used Motul full synthetic 10W-30 I believe. Could oil alone make a difference like what I am experiencing?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts