Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
One thing to point out here:

First, all these suggestions as to sag #s and gearing are what each rider "feels" is the best.

Second, not everyone is going to have the best answer for you. The problem with the internet is that you ask a question, you get 15 different answers. In between those answers, you get guys going back and forth as to what is better - their way or the other person's...

So, try this. Set-up to use 6th gear is it has a long straight. If you don't like shifting a whole lot, gear for 5th and try it.

As far as sag goes, 35mm front and back is a great start. I set my stuff to be around 30mm and will even go as far as 38mm max. Basically, no one on here can tell you that you need a set sag number. We don't know how hard you are on the front, we don't know what your riding style is, etc.

Novices to AMA privateers all have different opinions. What works for a novice, ain't gonna cut it for an AMA privateer and vice versa.

Start out with a few things. Most guys in the paddock running 190 anything are running flush fronts with a lowered rear. The old days of raising the rear to the moon to turn these things is long gone. Ask around. Ask the top guys and see where they are. Don't conceed and run what they do and "live" with it. Change it. Remember, that guy you asked may be running 5 seconds a lap faster than you. His chasis numbers may be a great start and his gearing may be too aggressive for your speed, but it all is a great starting point.

Make sure of one constant - TAKE NOTES. Wanna run "track A"? Ask Tray, Jensen, Frankenfield, whatever fast guys what they do. They have the top times at those tracks and therefore, what they are doing is a great place to start. Work from there down and get yourself to the point you can use those settings with a bit of confidence. If they don't work, start going down. Change the rear sprocket by adding a tooth or two. Lower the front 1-2mm and see what happens.

You get the idea... Whatever you do, do it for what you need - not what everyone else runs and just sit there and wonder why it doesn't work... For you.
Great advice, Lizard.

One common denominator seems to be to flush the forks (especially if running a 190).

My plan is to put the d209 back on, flush the forks, set the sag to 35/30 for starters...and go from there.

My bike has been pretty dialed since January, so to have it suddenly be completely f-ed up is quite discouraging. But, although posting a ? to this board and getting 15 different answers can be a bit confusing, there are some common themes plus it stimulates thought on my part (which is great). The other cool thing is that I am actually beginning to "feel" these things (front pushing, rear breaking loose, etc.) on the track and under what conditions (turn entry/mid corner/exit, on the gas/brakes, track conditions). I'm learning and I'll figure all out.

Thanks again to everyone.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I actually went up another 5mm on the rear of my 03 Gix 600 for last weekend as I was struggling with on the gas and high speed direction changes. It helped and allowed me to move more easy side to side.

But I think the 475 spring (package, and foam aroudn the spring was marked 455) was too much and had I had more time I think I may have backed off preload for more Sag and went from there.

I am also one who for some reason rarely uses sixth gear as my bike once it hits 5th gear near the top doesn't really rev to redline, but now I am making the shift sometimes just so the bike will pull again.
03s and the 04/05s are completely different animals. The 04/05s have more in common with the 06/07s...

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Remember another thing... The info Mike gives to one guy may be more "general" than he gives to say, Tray, etc...

My point is simple. An 04/05 ain't the same as the 06/07. Many of us are running 190/55s on our machines and seemingly, lowering the rears and keeping the fronts flush are a great combo. Of course, riding style is a big difference...

Guys like Jensen like to slide and run deep into corners. So, guys like him tend to set their bikes up to damn near feel like the ass is dragging and the front is up in the air like an ape hangin' chopper.

To each their own, but go flush, try 330-334mm eye to eye rear and set sags at 30-35mm and go from there. Take notes and move on to what works great for you...

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
330-334mm in the rear :eek

That is 15-20mm over stock, and flush is what +3mm over stock?

Fuck my setup is way different :lol. Im like 320ish and +10-15 in front

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
330-334mm in the rear :eek

That is 15-20mm over stock, and flush is what +3mm over stock?

Fuck my setup is way different :lol. Im like 320ish and +10-15 in front
I'm at 330 eye to eye... That was what Reuben Frankenfield runs and he and I are similar in the way we ride the front on a bike. Farely traditional... That's not much showing thread-wise on a Penske Triple Clicker...

The front is lower by yes, about 3mm... Works... :33s at Mid-Ohio so far at a track day setting chasing Jonas... Well, mid :33s...

·
Registered
34,392 Posts
03s and the 04/05s are completely different animals. The 04/05s have more in common with the 06/07s...

Yeah i was just throwing it out there for no dang reason... Got to keep my post whore rep up.

It did help in the switch backs at Grattan what little bit I got run. I think it will really help in the back Esses at Mid OH.

·
Registered
34,392 Posts
I'm at 330 eye to eye... That was what Reuben Frankenfield runs and he and I are similar in the way we ride the front on a bike. Farely traditional... That's not much showing thread-wise on a Penske Triple Clicker...

The front is lower by yes, about 3mm... Works... :33s at Mid-Ohio so far at a track day setting chasing Jonas... Well, mid :33s...

Did you see he hit 21s at Grattan this weekend.

I had a moment Friday right in front of Jonas going over the Jump at Grattan. Wanted to test if I could go over without braking and bike got more air then I liked and it came down a little crooked. I just climbed on the brakes (should have leaned in some though) and got it slowed down before running off.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
I had problems with the bike being very vague on the front end without raising the front in relation to the rear.

As I said the front is about 8mm over in all reality. I am +5ish rear and +13 ish front so it would have alot mroe feel

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I think the guy with the question as the newest generation gixxer which have a shorter shock than 04/05 600 and 750.

I might add....on a 04-05 600 the stock shock is 332mm eye to eye and 326 eye to eye on an 01-03. My penske is 326 slammed which is what we ran with the 190/60. With the 190/55 I run 330. Therefore, I still am shorter in the rear than the stock shock. But then again...none of this helps to guy with the question. :D

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I think the guy with the question as the newest generation gixxer which have a shorter shock than 04/05 600 and 750.

I might add....on a 04-05 600 the stock shock is 332mm eye to eye and 326 eye to eye on an 01-03. My penske is 326 slammed which is what we ran with the 190/60. With the 190/55 I run 330. Therefore, I still am shorter in the rear than the stock shock. But then again...none of this helps to guy with the question. :D
Yeah, I forgot he was on a newer geny GSXR. Oh, well. At least we are on teh same page as far as eye to eye. Now, about your 40 mm sag up front...:biggrin

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Oh, I thought you were on a 06/07 Lizard.... no wonder :lol. 06/07 is 315 eye to eye stock.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Oh, I thought you were on a 06/07 Lizard.... no wonder :lol. 06/07 is 315 eye to eye stock.
Yeah, I screwed up. My bad. I know, though the guys are going the same route with the rear low and the front flush as a starting point. I think 30-35mm sag is still the norm...

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Yeah, my rear is low in realation to my front for sure. I run 30mm total sag, with 7mm free right now, but I like a somewhat "hard" bike I ride point and shoot alot. habit from dirt days, so I fight to get rear end traction and not demolish tires at the same time. I have done alot of work to get my rear to work for me, I finally got it at the last Tally round..... and proceded to wad my bike up :hammer.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
8 Participants
Moto_Joe
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing