Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so I decided to clean my carbs myself. I managed to remove the carbs from the engine and I have it set up on a table. Removed the carburetor top cap, piston valve return spring, and diaphragm. I'm alright with everything so far.

To remove the Float Chamber body it says I need an Impact Driver set. do I really need this? it's 89.99 from Ron Ayers. anybody get those screws off with something else?

my other question is how far do I have to dissasemble for Carb Cleaning?

do I need to remove the Pilot screw plug? cause it talks about drilling 6mm through it to get at the pilot screw. not sure if I really need to remove the pilot screw?

·
Registered
180 Posts
To remove the Float Chamber body it says I need an Impact Driver set. do I really need this? it's 89.99 from Ron Ayers. anybody get those screws off with something else?

my other question is how far do I have to dissasemble for Carb Cleaning?

do I need to remove the Pilot screw plug? cause it talks about drilling 6mm through it to get at the pilot screw. not sure if I really need to remove the pilot screw?
Huh? Uh, try a screwdriver? What are you talking about?

Pull the float chamber cover off, pull out the floats, main jets, and pilot jets. From the top, you need to pull out the slide/diaphragm/needle assembly. Then clean thoroughly all passages. You may want to pull the needle valve out in the float area, but be very careful with the little screws that hold it. The tops of them strip incredibly easy. Use the right size screwdriver and tap it with a hammer every once in a while. To get the valve back in, put a drop of oil on the o-ring.

You don't need to remove the plug if you don't want to change the idle tune.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Huh? Uh, try a screwdriver? What are you talking about?

Pull the float chamber cover off, pull out the floats, main jets, and pilot jets. From the top, you need to pull out the slide/diaphragm/needle assembly. Then clean thoroughly all passages. You may want to pull the needle valve out in the float area, but be very careful with the little screws that hold it. The tops of them strip incredibly easy. Use the right size screwdriver and tap it with a hammer every once in a while. To get the valve back in, put a drop of oil on the o-ring.

You don't need to remove the plug if you don't want to change the idle tune.

I used the part number to get a price from Ron Ayers and the set is 89.99. but anyway thanks for the info and I managed to get my carbs all cleaned up.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the allen screws at a hardware store. Just take one of the old screws with you to match up the length and thread size.
Thanks I might do that. I'm waiting for a jet kit to arrive, so I gotta take those screws out again anyway.

another question, how do you torque those screws? the service manual gives torque specifications for all those screws. I got a torque wrench for bolts, but what do you use to torque screws? torque screwdriver?

never seen a torque screwdriver...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.