Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
GSX-R750
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks!

My stock damper on my K4 is leaky, and I want a nicer one anyhow. I am split between 4 dampers, and they are literally almost all the exact same price.

• Ohlins
  • K-tech
  • GPR
  • Scott's

They are all good quality, but which one is best for me? I've only used Ohlins before, and it was nice. Is the extra adjustability of the Scott's worth buying it over the others? Are radial dampers generally more service friendly or no?

Bike is for mostly street, but also track duty. Lots of miles, weather, and fun riding.
Thoughts and experiences? I would have just gone with the Ohlins on my own since I've used them and they are great, but if there is something I am missing out on, I'd be willing to try.

Thanks in advance.
-Mike

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think I'd just go another OE, good used. Should be fine for street and light track duty. I've owned 2 '86's and '87, '88, '90, '91 750's, '90 1100 and '07 600 All GSXR's, raced them all over 7 seasons except the '07. Horrible headshake lock to lock at 85 mph on the '88 then end over end and threw me off. That was on the street prior to racing and no damper. Dampers were required on all on the track.

That is unless you are dying to spend $$$, Ohlins.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,933 Posts
The OEM KYB dampers seem to be forever leaking and there are no parts to rebuild them You can keep topping them up and there are how-to threads here about the process. But that quickly gets old. Unless there's at least a 30% price difference, I'd go with the Ohlins and be done with it. I've had mine for 10+ years and it just works, no service needed. There's also HyperPro.

·
Registered
GSX-R750
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input folks.

I am looking to spend a pretty penny on it, to do away with the stock leaking one. I did refill and bleed it, and it was perfect for a day.

I had a new Ohlins on my late ZX-6R and it was indeed fantastic. May just go that route again, all the models I listed above for this bike were literally within 20 bucks price where I am shopping.

Might just go tried and true.

How terrible is adjusting the damper adjuster on the end of the Ohlins damper hiding inside the front cowl? On my ZX6 I had the mount on top of the upper triple clamp.

Thanks again guys. More input appreciated.
-Mike

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
The OEM KYB dampers seem to be forever leaking and there are no parts to rebuild them You can keep topping them up and there are how-to threads here about the process. But that quickly gets old. Unless there's at least a 30% price difference, I'd go with the Ohlins and be done with it. I've had mine for 10+ years and it just works, no service needed. There's also HyperPro.
This. Buy Ohlins once, new or used & have a good quality, rebuildable solution.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have GPR on my K6-750 and it's fine for me. Sitting at somewhere near 25k miles on it and been on the bike since (almost) new.
I have nothing to compare it to though. It was installed by previous owner and I bought the bike 'used' with a couple hundred miles on it spring of '06, so 16+ years old.

100% street riding and rarely aggressive riding....unfortunately the only time I ride the bike is my 15 mile highway commute to work and back.
I leave it on setting 4. The few times my kid turned it up while playing around, I noticed it immediately.

·
Registered
GSX-R750
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback on the GPR. I've heard mostly good things, at least from the people who have the best versions or models. Cool to know you got a lot of miles out of it as well.

I think I am pretty set on the Ohlins. More input welcome, I'll have to budget the purchase out in the coming weeks.
Thanks!
-Mike

·
Registered
259 Posts
How terrible is adjusting the damper adjuster on the end of the Ohlins damper hiding inside the front cowl? On my ZX6 I had the mount on top of the upper triple clamp.

Thanks again guys. More input appreciated.
-Mike
Not terrible at all, turn the bars to the left, put your hand in and twiddle.

·
10,933 Posts
It my vary with year but Ohlins offered some tank top versions. I can adjust my standard mount at a stop light without much trouble, but not while moving. It's a matter of how often you're going to be adjusting it.

·
Registered
GSX-R750
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah that is probably the cadence I will fall into as well. I don't need to change it for every road I am on, but maybe set it differently if I plan on doing a road trip, commuting, or track day is all. I actually kind of like the idea of it being more hidden under the cowl than exposed on top.

-Mike

·
10,933 Posts
I'd forgot about this. It has pics of an Ohlins in the standard and the raised locations. The adjustment knob on mine is round and knurled. They've since changed to one with six flutes as a pic in the 9th post there shows. I'll change my comment about it to where I'd now paint the valleys between the flutes to six different colors.

Frankly I think the speed dependent damping that Suzuki introduced in 2007 was a good idea. But their execution sucked. I wish that Ohlins had offered it on one of their dampers. Note that the ECM controls the damping so it wouldn't have helped my K6.

·
Registered
GSX-R750
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I just bought the Ohlins Damper, it is on the way. Winter weather is closing in on me as well, but I'll update here once I give it a go, probably next month or January. Excited to add this refinement to the steering. Haven't had any wobbles without the damper at all so far, but every time the front tire gets real light or comes up I know something could happen lol.

-Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts