Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to get into sportbikes, and decided to pick up a 2001 gsxr 600. I am going to see one tomorrow... it is 2nd hand (3800 miles, two brothers pipe). What kind of questions should I ask the seller to make sure it is in good shape, and has been maintained properly? any ideas or information would be much appreciated. thanks a lot!

[ 05-24-2002, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Jon T. Flesh ]

·
Registered
102 Posts
You might want to start with "Why are you selling it?" Then follow up with "has it ever been raced?"

A few other good things to ask would be if he had proof of the labor done to it. What work he had done to it, and who it was done by. Most of the stuff can be seen by inspection:
Check the chain length (somone must know ~how much it needs to be)
Look for damage, loose bolts
What mods he has done (besides the pipe)
Mostly just look over the bike, and see what kind of person he is. The way he represents himself, and the bike really says a lot about how he rode it. If you don't like it, try to scam him for a good deal or walk away.. you don't want a junker.

Anyway, they're badass bikes.. good luck

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
With that kind of mileage and it's only a year ols it SHOULD be in good shape. I would look it over real good, ask if it has been crashed hard, just make sure it seems OK before you pony up the $$$.

[ 05-24-2002, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Jon T. Flesh ]

·
Registered
14,162 Posts
Also remember that even if he cant prove he changed the oil often it does not mean that he didnt do it

Look over the bike and look for signs that it was been dropped or crashed. Look for stuff like scuffed up rear axle nut and engine case covers.
Look at the chain to make sure that it is not rusted to shit and that it is properly lubed. Also make sure that the slack on the chain the right.
take a look at the brake pads and the color of the brake fluid.

Little things like that tells a lot about the person that owned the bike and the type of care he/she gave the bike

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
isn't there some sort of '3000' mile service or something you are supposed to take your bike to the shop for? should I ask if that was done and where? Also, what about the brake fluid? which colors would signify what? thanks again.

·
Registered
14,162 Posts
Originally posted by cocaine:
isn't there some sort of '3000' mile service or something you are supposed to take your bike to the shop for? should I ask if that was done and where? Also, what about the brake fluid? which colors would signify what? thanks again.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">May be just a thing that I do but before I crashed my bike I went out of my way to make sure that all my fluids were at the right levels and that they were replaced when needed. Know what I mean. I am the same way with my truck since I take care of them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First off, dont ever get involved with any used bikes with high mileage, I learned that the hard way....Ask him if any mods have been done, if its just an easy bolt on part dont worry about who did the work unless the guys an ape but if theres motor work done on it make sure you check out who did it and check out their history of their work.
The four cylinder bikes are notorious for having cam timing going out of adjustment after a decent amount of miles so if it is a high mileage bike, listen for a cam clicking..
just go over all basic tuning, coolant, oil, brake fluid all that stuff and check for any leaks/odd noises that might occur on start up, good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Brianinms said:
Nice job digging up a 4.5 year old thread. :cheers
:eek

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
mileage, general care, etc. its going to be hard to notice some of the small stuff but make sure you hear it run and go through the gears of the transmission. fork seals are probably toast. remember you are getting an older bike so its not going to be in prestine condition.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This maybe to late to help you this time....but....from my experience, if you go to look at a used bike, and its been wormed up before you get there......99% of the time they are trying to hide something.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts