Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm doing my chain last night and when I was spinning the wheel, I noticed there was a lot of play in it. I guess it would be the bearing or something? I'm new to bikes so I don't really know what the inside of the centre of the wheel looks like but I could move it side to side quite a bit. around 3 to 4 mm. This isn't normal is it? Its an 89 wheel on an 85 by the way.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Sounds like the spacers are not right. Bearings would allow it to move it a little but not that much. As I do not have a Gixxer that vintage I can not help much but we do have lots of guys with that wheel swap. Maybe one of them can measure the spaces they are running for you?
Bones

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
sounds bad to me. I wouldn't expect any play at all there.
DON'T RIDE IT !

sounds liks there is a spacer missing.

It's very important to get the spacers exactly right. for example, if the chain is slightly out of alignment with the front sprocket it will wear and SNAP, this could cause you a bad injury.

I am sure that someonre can help you on here with this mod and the spacers required.

Did the previous owner ride it like that ? or did they make the mod and not finish it off?

Andy

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. anyone else have anything to add before I drop a load of cash bringing it in to fix. Its my only form of transportation right now so I need to fix it quick.

·
Banned
982 Posts
Rear Wheel????Wheel bearings!

Take off the wheel...pop them out,and bang the news in!
$35!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Its either the wheel bearings are shot or the spacer between the cush drive and the rear wheel is missing. There is the large outer bearing in the cush drive a spacer the wheel bearing another spacer in the wheel then the other wheel bearing. Deffinately fix it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i always have to ask the question that seems blantly ovious.
Is the crown nut tight? and is there a pin through it?
I don't have the big rim on mine but the swing arm does press slightly out, and the rear axel has to be tightend to bring it in tight.
if this isn't the case, i agree with what everyone else has said.. check your spacer, check your bearings, and untill you sort it out DON'T RIDE IT.

weas

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, I guess I'm driving the pimp mobile tomorrow. (91 yellowish/gold Plymouth Sundance, 3 speed automatic...power baby)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts