Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I love the forum. Found it about a year ago thinking the Gixxer 1k was the biggest and baddest bike for all beginners out there, the stickies and many people's "you'll end up in a body bag" mentality have taught me a few things since then.

So I'm 18 years old and looking to buy my first bike, maybe this summer or I could wait until the winter if prices are a lot cheaper then (I live in Vancouver, Canada). I love the sv650s but the problem is money, I plan to spend no more than $4000 CANADIAN on the bike, the cheapest sv I've seen around here is $7k, so if I bought it and then didn't insure it or get any gear... What are some other, more affordable beginner bikes. So far I've been looking at older 600s, late 80s to early 90s crb600s and yzf600s, and early to mid 90s kawasaki 500s. Are these decent bikes to learn on, and are there any others? Also, with respect to gear, what is really necessary. I was thinking helmet, gloves, jacket, maybe boots, are jeans ok for non-agressive riding (knee off the ground) or are riding pants necessary since shit can happen anywhere, no matter how careful you are being. Also, has anyone bought anything from http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ Their closeout section seems to have some good deals, or are their regular prices really inflated. Lastly, what is Canada's (specifically British Columbia's) equivalent to the MSF course. I'd love to take a course but don't want to waste money on one that's not worth it. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer,

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Take a look at the earlier GS500s. The naked versions. Excellent bike to start on, and probably cheap enough that you can sell it off for what you paid for it when you're ready to move up. I never remember what the bike course is called, but I think I've heard a couple NS instructors call it the MTP course. Maybe it's a different name in each province, 'cause that doesn't sound like the course I took...

I took mine in Ontario years ago, and what decided it for me was the cost was offset by the price of insurance, to the penny. I called 10 insurance companies/brokers and got 9 different quotes, but the spread between the with/without taking course was exactly the price of the course, so of course (no pun intended), I took it.

Leather will protect far better than jeans, but the choice is ultimately yours. I wear full gear all the time, and I've been riding for years. Shit sure does happen.

I don't know what insurance is like in BC, but out here, they're getting pretty tough on sportbikes. Even if you own it outright, if Primmum decides it's a 'sportbike' and their definition includes a couple on non R bikes, you're forced to get full coverage even though it's not mandatory by law. If one doesn't like it, they're free to shop around, they're telling people. Some of those bikes you mentioned may be blacklisted by your insurance companies. Make a few calls to them before buying one, just so you don't get any surprises. The GS500 and the SV should be safe bets, though.

Welcome to the site, btw. Glad ya stopped just lurkin'.

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot. I did buy something from them once. It was several years ago. A SRAD gixxer t-shirt. They sent me the wrong one, just a red sportbike doing a wheelie and this saying "I don't need no stinking speed limits." So, with the cost of exchange, customs, duty and whatnot, it cost me somewhere around $50 Cdn. and I end up with the wrong fuggin' t-shirt.
Anyways, I emailed them, told him the story I just told you, and he sent me the right t-shirt out free of charge. Was really impressed with the way it worked out and with them.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Welcome to the site!

A GS or SV are good choices. And as far as gear goes, I have all of the accessories, and wear it 100% of the time. Once in a great while I don't wear the pants, just jeans. That is if I know I'm not gonna be doing any high speed riding, fast turns, etc. and I will be walking around inside once I get to my destination. Going to a mall, bank, or supermarket with the bike for example. A full leather 1 or 2 piece suit is always your best bet though. It would totally suck for you to need skin grafts due to some other idiot on the street. Road rash sucks no matter what the situation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll look into the GS500, though a quick search of the local classifieds produced no bike older than 2001. As I stated before, I'd love to have an sv650 but the price is a bit steep unless I stumble upon a really good deal. How are the older 600s for learning, anything at all like the new ones or are they manageable? And would it be a good idea to wait till winter before buying to save a lot of cash (or get a better bike for the same price?)

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
Maybe check with some of the local bike shops...maybe someone knows someone selling what you want..get the word out...you just might get lucky..

·
Registered
888 Posts
i have the gs500 and its an amazing bike to start on man!! i also have a 1pc suit and i never leave home without it. people think iam crazy, but if i go down iam so ready!. but ya look into the gs500s they are amazing bikes and very friendly, and wow then can turn. but an older 600 wouldnt be to bad either, depending on the year. like 96 and below, correct me if iam wrong guys...iam still a n00b.

good luck on finding a bike, i think the best advice anyone can give you is never ride a bike that intimidates you. Peace

·
Registered
135 Posts
Welcome to GDC. Main thing is figure out what you want first. You seem level headed so i am not going to get into that. Get a LOAN THROUGH YOUR BANK. DO NOT finance through the dealer, if you buy used through a dealer. I would definitly buy used if i were you. PRICE INSURANCE first before you buy. Even on a SV650S insurance may make your jaw drop. Your age is against you plus to ridding exerience.

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
What do the taller riders 6 3 and up need to consider when choosing a bike ? And does shoe size matter ?
Usually, but not always, a bike with a more Upright seating position...best thing to do, is sit on the bikes your interested in, i.e. EX 500, SV 650 ect...shoe size has nadda to do with choosing a bike, as you can always buy aftermarket rearsets that rae adjustable to suit your needs..

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Welcome to GDC. Main thing is figure out what you want first. You seem level headed so i am not going to get into that. Get a LOAN THROUGH YOUR BANK. DO NOT finance through the dealer, if you buy used through a dealer. I would definitly buy used if i were you. PRICE INSURANCE first before you buy. Even on a SV650S insurance may make your jaw drop. Your age is against you plus to ridding exerience.
Good point. Most insurance co's charge you by the CC's in the bike. So a SV can cost as much as a gsxr.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Welcome to the site, you might want to try looking for a Ninja 250, looks like and a great started bike, it's 3K new in the states, you could proubly get a used one for a good price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts