Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1991 Gixxer 750 two Sunday's ago. I've got another 91 gixxer 750 so I'm somewhat fimilure with them.

Anyway I started having problems the Tuesday after I bought it. The first symptom was that it became harder to start over the span of 24 hours. Monday night it took about 10 seconds instead of firing up, Tuesday morning it took about 20 seconds, then Tuesday afternoon it took 20 minutes to start with the help of a coworker pushing me. Then it took another half hour at the gas station on the way home, I had to push start it myself there.( Now the starting issue I later solved by figuring out the spark plug boots weren't totally screwed into the wires all the way.)

Also, on the way home it shut off on me twice. I'm not sure if it totally shut of electrically or just cut power to the plugs; but both times it shut off, I was cruzing around 50mph. Either way, it took me forever to get it going again.

After I solved the starting problem, I thought I was done. Nope, the bike has since shut off again and won't start at all. When the key is "on" everything comes on like normal, but nothing happens when you push the start button, nothing at all.

I've changed out the selonoid that has the main power cable from the battery going to it and that did nothing. I'm going to try to jump it (run a 12 guage wire from the battery to the starter, and if the selonoid is bad, the bike will start this way.)

Does anyone have any ideas about what this could be? Remember, the bike gets power, but shuts off and won't start.

Thanks,
Steve
[email protected]
AIM: DAYIUZi
Yahoo: dayuiz

·
Registered
308 Posts
this sounds like one of the problems i had once.
all the lights etc worked but it would not turn over. I tried bridging the solanoid and it did not help. Then i tried a seperate earth from the headlight bulb plug to the frame and it started.

it turned out to be a earth conection which is tucked down the side of the battery box, not sure were to or from but it was all corroded and burnt up, replaced that and it was cured.

it sounds like you may have a loose/corroded earth connection.

hope this helps a bit

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Something else you might want to look at is the cheesy switches on the kickstand and clutch lever... they can go bad over time or just get corroded... I kept mine but I know a lot of guys just get rid of the switches and plug the two wires into each other.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Originally posted by FastCat:
Something else you might want to look at is the cheesy switches on the kickstand and clutch lever... they can go bad over time or just get corroded... I kept mine but I know a lot of guys just get rid of the switches and plug the two wires into each other.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'll put my money on this

Andy

·
Registered
156 Posts
Maybe you should strip the bike down and go through it with a fine tooth comb. Even though it runs now doesn't mean its good. Or do you like to find out later that something is loose on the side of the freeway.
Would you rather find out somethings loose in the garage or after you just had it towed?
Anyways good luck Ben you know best .... hahhahahahahah

1 - 5 of 5 Posts